Waterproofing Electrical Connector Bunches

I recently did some electrical work and had to solder in a new wire.  I have the VFRness, and anyone who has it knows how tight the right side fairing is against the bike with it on.

I'm at a point where I cannot reposition this connector bunch, and it now partially pops out above the fairing.  Aesthetically, I'll get over it, but I am more concerned with the any water getting in it should I ride in the rain.

Has anyone tried to waterproof these before?

image.jpeg

• Member Contributer

I think there is a rad hose there you can tuck the connectors behind?  Agree its a tight fit, but after a fair bit of fiddling around, I got mine to hide almost completely (unless you are looking straight down into the gap btwn fairing / tank).  2002 model here w/vfrness

20160528_200406.jpg

14 hours ago, WalkThisWhey said:

I recently did some electrical work and had to solder in a new wire.  I have the VFRness, and anyone who has it knows how tight the right side fairing is against the bike with it on.

I'm at a point where I cannot reposition this connector bunch, and it now partially pops out above the fairing.  Aesthetically, I'll get over it, but I am more concerned with the any water getting in it should I ride in the rain.

Has anyone tried to waterproof these before?

image.jpeg

I placed the relays in the opposite direction relative to your photo and is not protected against water. Аs a result - after first heavy rain relay was filled by water and shorted. When installing a new one - filled all the cracks in the housing of relay by glue and no problems with it. And (as already said rhoderage) if you do not look into the gap - you cant see installed vfrness.

On 6/30/2016 at 9:55 AM, 1ex said:

I placed the relays in the opposite direction relative to your photo and is not protected against water. Аs a result - after first heavy rain relay was filled by water and shorted. When installing a new one - filled all the cracks in the housing of relay by glue and no problems with it. And (as already said rhoderage) if you do not look into the gap - you cant see installed vfrness.

Do you have a picture of this?  I'm having a hard time visualizing it. Also, what kind of glue did you use?

2 hours ago, WalkThisWhey said:

Do you have a picture of this?  I'm having a hard time visualizing it. Also, what kind of glue did you use?

No, I haven't pictures. I will make a few photos this weekend, if I do not forget.

I'm used some kind of "superglue", but now I think it's more safest to use sealant (without the risk of glue everything inside relay).

• Member Contributer

Sorry, to add to this, I have not waterproofed mine and have had no issues in 2 years.  I'm sure I angled the relay so the spade connectors were aimed down so water wouldnt get in and sit.

• Member Contributer

They make waterproof relays, by the way. 

hellawprelayuse_med.jpg

They're part of the Delphi Metripack range, and this design is very robust.  The relays use special housings to seal to the plugs, so they're not cheap and not available at every hardware store, but how often have you had a relay fail?  (Ones that haven't been water-damaged, I mean!)

Ciao,

On 06.07.2016 at 11:25 AM, rhoderage said:

Sorry, to add to this, I have not waterproofed mine and have had no issues in 2 years.  I'm sure I angled the relay so the spade connectors were aimed down so water wouldnt get in and sit.

Yep, it's a simplest solution in that case.

The photo shows how I set the relay - does not pops out above the fairing, but must be waterproofed

photo2427937_419570377.jpg

Archived