VFR 800 vtec engine noise ?

Rs2k

Hi all. 

I I wonder what you wonderful people make of this. 

Bought this 800 month or so ago and heard the noise when I got her, thought it was low oil or CCT - being ex police bike I didn't think it could be that bad. 

Changed rear CCT after I did this video, but on riding the other day I still noticed noise. A metallic tapping. 

I was wondering if could be valves ? 

Or could chains be stretched ? 

Thanks in advance. P.s. I need help with wiring too :( 

• Member Contributer

Maybe the moderators can move this to the proper forum since you have a Vtec model which is a sixth gen and you posted this in the 5th gen section.

33 minutes ago, Egg on Leggs said:

Does the noise change when you pull the clutch in? 

Sadly not. :( 

ive changed the rear CCT, noise has reduced but still there. 

• Member Contributer
1 minute ago, Rs2k said:

Sadly not. :( 

ive changed the rear CCT, noise has reduced but still there. 

The next thing I would suggest is to get the starter valves balanced, that can smooth an engine out.

6 minutes ago, Egg on Leggs said:

The next thing I would suggest is to get the starter valves balanced, that can smooth an engine out.

is that a dealer job or doable at home ? 

Do you have a guide on here ? :) I'm handy with mechanics and pretty competent. 

• Member Contributer

Was the front CCT done? Were valves ever checked or adjusted? 

Those would be areas I would address.

11 minutes ago, MarkDetroit said:

Was the front CCT done? Were valves ever checked or adjusted? 

Those would be areas I would address.

Front CCT no, noise sounds towards rear of engine although can't rule it out I guess 

valves would have been checked by police , I only have a list of what the mileage was and date it went into the workshop so can only guess what was done. 

I would think the valves need checking again tbh but from what I read they get tight not loose so wouldn't make noise ?

That does NOT sound right at all.  Even when warm, the metallic sound is only slightly diminished. 

If that were my bike, I would immediately do the valve inspection AND replacement of the front CCT (replace the CCT right before you inspect the valves).  Inspecting the valves will also allow you to inspect the camshafts lobes for wear.  Keep in mind that tight valve clearances do NOT make that kind of noise.  Actually, not even lose valve clearances will make that kind of noise. 

I've heard that kind of noise before on my old Suzuki Hayabusa when the dealership botched up the CCT installation, and they had to replace the CCT a second time.  Riding the bike when it's making that noise will probably damage the top end of the engine further.

• Member Contributer

Sounds exactly like my bike did when it was when the front CCT started to go. I changed both at that time.

Thank you all :) I'll order another CCT. Honda dealers in Romford said CCT but want as loud as rode there. 

Ill take a new video tomorrow now I've done the rear CCT as its not as bad but still hear something (possibly front one) 

also, I've noticed on new CCT there is rubber bit on the end ?? Is this a updated part or always been there ?

7 minutes ago, CandyRedRC46 said:

The rubber bit should have always been on there.

Thank you. Was wondering if I'd fitted it with it on and it was transport packaging lol ! 

Just ordered a new one one for front (another £86 ! ) hopefully sort out the noise. If not gonna cry I think. 

• Member Contributer

The front one tends to generate more noise since it has a higher wear rate due to not getting as much oil as the lower one. You might want to search here on VFRD for a CCT mod whereby the oil port on the gasket is made a little larger to allow more oil to flow. There is another thread that shows how to install the front one without a throttle body removal. Not difficult and saves you a tremendous amount of labor. I did both of mine and it greatly reduced the noise but some of that tapping will always remain due in part to clutch rattle and just the nature of the engine. The throttle body synch is a big help not only in quieting things a bit but also smooths out low end response. I used a Mogan Carbtune which is actually made in the UK. Once you have the airbox off for the CCT job it is an extra hour or less of work. Youtube search a VFR throttle synch and there is a good video by someone named Kaldek (or similar to that) with very detailed procedures.

Changed the front CCT today :) also made the oil hole in gaskets 1.5mm. Not too big but slightly larger. 

Found out in the process that the oil filter was filthy, the tops of TB's were also dirty. 

So leaves a lot to be desired for last 9k since left police !  

Next job is service her, oil, filters, plugs. Not going to do coolant yet as seems okay, will do this when get brake fluid flushed. 

So, took her out today and noise is still there ! :( 

any ideas other than burn it ? 

The noise started once she was warm/hot ? Don't know if that has any bearing. 

One of the things you already hit on that can make a tapping sound is a loose spark plug. So carry on with that replacement and see what you find.

The other suggestion already made is tuning the starter valves. Perhaps if one is sticking and leaking air it could tick. These valves, or the throttle body in general may require cleaning at this point but you would not know until you got in there and inspected everything, including the vacuum hoses for age and dry rot. That might be a pretty intensive job. Tuning the starter valves alone you can do for sure. This requires a 4-column manometer or 4 separate vacuum gauges.

Here it is done on a slightly different 6th gen:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiszOGe69nNAhWh7oMKHZGsAQQQtwIIHDAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D1sj33NXnm1c&usg=AFQjCNELTlRCcitX3-IVal4ySnZO2y5TCA&bvm=bv.126130881,d.amc

Read this section of the factory service manual and use the specs given within (not the specs in the video!). If a cylinder is not listed with a spec that means keep it the same vacuum as the reference cylinder.

Archived