But it is a dry heat....really!

• Member Contributer
52 minutes ago, JZH said:

I have the backpack version.  I bought it when I was living in Hong Kong (where the humidity made evaporative-cooling solutions useless), but I moved before I could try it.  Now that I'm back in the frigid UK, there's no need!  But, I will probably try it out in Spain this year or next.  It should work.  But a potential issue is that you need to have a steady supply of ice, and that's not easy to find over here (ice is not something you are likely to find in a UK service station or supermarket--maybe in a hotter part of Europe?)  I haven't really looked for bagged ice on my travels on the Continent, but I sure haven't noticed it...

Ciao,

Temps have been over 60f for weeks sometimes reaching 90f+, when will it ever end.......:cool:

• Member Contributer
On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 9:09 AM, FJ12Ryder said:

I started motorcycle touring in 1973 on a '71 Triumph. Not knowing any better I toured in the summer, which means you cross hundreds of hot. flat miles before you can get anywhere interesting: west is Kansas/eastern Colorado, east is Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, south is, well, hot, north is Iowa and Minnesota.  In later years I started going in late spring, and early autumn and avoiding the worst of the heat. The last 10 years or so we've been traveling with a 5th wheel toyhauler and taking the bikes. It's very nice in a way since we now travel to where we're going to ride, and then spend several days in the area riding, unencumbered by having to haul touring supplies on the bikes.

The only thing I would never do is trailer/haul my bike to a motorcycle rally. I think that's one of the reasons I've always avoided Sturgis and other rallies of that type. What part of "motorcycle rally" don't they understand?

The 5th wheel rig seems like a  sensational idea to me. What bikes do you take?  I really have taken a fancy to the base camp plan. Frankly sleeping in a tent is starting to lose its charm for me plus as you stated you would not have to pack all that crap on the bike.

gallery_2144_7292_2131818.jpg

• Member Contributer

We have a Fuzion toyhauler and haul my VFR and Peggy's scooter, a Honda Silverwing. It's bigger than what we really wanted, but it's the only toyhauler we found that didn't have a permanent garage Here's a pic:

Fuzion.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

As California burns again there is one other thing you can do.  Get in shape! This could be as important as anything else....although the toy hauler above looks to hit the spot too.

I would say getting in shape is THE BEST thing you can do for yourself AND your bike (and the wife or girlfriend). 

Why?

It CHANGES everything.

You can ride longer with less effort.

Your bike's suspension will feel better

Depending on how much heavier you are from your ideal weight, your bike might go faster.

It's easier to work on your bike.

You look fantastic in riding gear (yes even full leathers).

Your girl will appreciate your hotness.

You'll save money on medical bills.

There is no negative in getting in shape.  It's all win-win for everyone including your VFR.

• Member Contributer

I was doing the get fit think fit be fit thing a few years ago, next thing I remember is waking up in hospital. I asked the nurse what happened ? She to.d me I had a fit !,,,, ?

sorry had too ?

• Member Contributer
On 26/07/2016 at 4:26 PM, FJ12Ryder said:

We have a Fuzion toyhauler and haul my VFR and Peggy's scooter, a Honda Silverwing. It's bigger than what we really wanted, but it's the only toyhauler we found that didn't have a permanent garage Here's a pic:

Fuzion.jpg

You don't do "subtle" over there, do you?

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, Rogue_Biker said:

I would say getting in shape is THE BEST thing you can do for yourself AND your bike (and the wife or girlfriend). 

Why?

It CHANGES everything.

You can ride longer with less effort.

Your bike's suspension will feel better

Depending on how much heavier you are from your ideal weight, your bike might go faster.

It's easier to work on your bike.

You look fantastic in riding gear (yes even full leathers).

Your girl will appreciate your hotness.

You'll save money on medical bills.

There is no negative in getting in shape.  It's all win-win for everyone including your VFR.

Add to the list a healthy diet and you might live longer with a better quality of life.  I'm convinced that if some people had stronger leg muscles to take weight off their upper body, bar risers wouldn't sell as well.  A VFR never was meant to be a sofa.  

• Member Contributer
21 minutes ago, Bent said:

Add to the list a healthy diet and you might live longer with a better quality of life.  I'm convinced that if some people had stronger leg muscles to take weight off their upper body, bar risers wouldn't sell as well.  A VFR never was meant to be a sofa.  

Core muscles!

And grip the tank with yr knees.

• Member Contributer
7 minutes ago, RoystonRocket2 said:

Not all the time though :wink:

I was referring to...

44 minutes ago, Bent said:

...if some people had stronger leg muscles to take weight off their upper body, bar risers wouldn't sell as well.  

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Skids said:

You don't do "subtle" over there, do you?

Hmm, I had to look that up in the dictionary, wasn't sure of the meaning. :beer:

Like they say: "Go big or go home". LOL

• Member Contributer

I never have had a problem with the OEM VFR riding setup as it mimics my bicycle position.  Bicycling has been my sport of choice for staying in shape.  I really believe that being in modest condition has allowed me to ride longer and in hotter weather.  Nevertheless being in shape is no panacea for brutal heat as it just postpones the inevitable but it gives you more margin for error.

I just canceled a Colorado tour as my endurance sucks due to a couple of weeks of inactivity and hospital shenanigans.

Ride safe and stay hydrated!

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, RoystonRocket2 said:

Not all the time though :wink:

Ride where I ride and you will be using your legs and core muscles all the time.  

Another bonus of being in shape, and BonusVFR alluded to it, ýou won't get as hot in your riding gear when it is hot outside.  That means you can tolerate hotter weather.  The downside is, you won't tolerate cold weather as much.  However, if you're in shape it's easier to layer underneath your leathers. 

EVERYTHING you do when you're fit is easier.   That includes sex if you're into that (who isn't).  LOL!

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, RoystonRocket2 said:

I know. I was making a little joke.

Very little.  :491:

• 10 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Well I am about to start off on another tour and this happens.

large.CaptureBlytheWeather62117.JPG.a6df

I may have to head to the Sierras again instead of hitting the slab and heading to Spearfish SD & Montana.  When you hit this the only thing that really works is your truck!

Great VFR trip to the Sierras about a decade ago......Sonora Pass and it just opened finally.

gallery_2144_2004_493325.jpg

• Member Contributer

Staying hydrated is paramount.  When you're getting frustrated from having to stop and pee a lot, you're hydrated.  Have a kidney stone that puts you into shock (been there) and you'll never get dehydrated again.

Just an observation.....some people need to be riding in a Suburban with all the gear they carry on a VFR.  They have air conditioners too..... 

• Member Contributer
On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 7:09 AM, Bent said:

Staying hydrated is paramount.  When you're getting frustrated from having to stop and pee a lot, you're hydrated.  Have a kidney stone that puts you into shock (been there) and you'll never get dehydrated again.

Just an observation.....some people need to be riding in a Suburban with all the gear they carry on a VFR.  They have air conditioners too..... 

It is all about the camping and comfort. And I still enjoy that too.  Frankly you do not see many VFRs out and about with loads of camp gear. I used to spartan camp so a tad less crap.  I manage with the VFR but my camping needs have grown proportionally with age. I think I will stick with the bike as long as I can with an occasional derivative bike/truck/trailer trip when circumstances dictate.  

Cooler today so I am off soon.  I hesitate to post up a shot of my Wing fully loaded! But it will have a big jug of ice water for my sorry old body in addition to a cooler to bath my cooling vest in ice for that "air conditioner" feel (for an hour maybe). 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Well I managed to survive another tour and massaged the HEAT fairly well.  The Blythe forecast above really scared me.  I had three options take the VFR to the Sierras or the WSBK races. My hottest choice was to take the big bike to Glacier and Montana with a lot of slab work.  This NOAA forecast below convinced me at the last moment that I had a window of time and could avoid (hardly) the brutal heat so I headed North East on the blue corridor.  Hottest point of the Trip was coming back at 102 in Ridgecrest California and coolest arrival temperature for any day was 77. And it was balmy San Diego on my last day...yes we are spoiled here! 

large.610temp.20170624_fcst.gif.f58f797e

Archived