But it is a dry heat....really!

• Member Contributer

But it is a dry heat!  Seems to be the right time to bring this up with the current heat wave in the Southwest going on.  Who knows you may be planning a tour out West this summer.

medium.2016-06-19Blythe.jpg.637a327ed987

Ok, San Diego has some of the best riding weather in the world and hopping on your scoot is pretty much a year around endeavor regardless of the season. There are hundreds of miles of fantastic twisty riding just to the east of my house most of which is in the mountains up to 6,000ft. However when I tour for new adventures, invariably I cross a desert to get to my destination and therein lies the problem...a big problem. If you are heading north to the Sierras or Central California, Interstate 5 is not fun but often necessary if you are limited by time. The valley is almost as bad as the desert sometimes. But while you can run up the CA coast it can be slow going and I try to avoid going through LA if I possibly can.  I can reach the Southern Sierra without days of grueling heat so I have done many mini tours there.

So typically when I head east to the Western USA, I run on course 090 on Interstate 8 to AZ or up the I-15 corridor to CA 395.  All are really ...ing (I forget the word) hot in the Summer. There is no cool route in many ways! In this case it is not about the journey it is totally about getting across and reaching your destination.

So what I am talking about as far as temperatures. On my last two major tours out of San Diego the temperature hit 113 degrees (not sure the gauge goes higher). This is not fun and is starting to really piss me off. So let's go back to basics.  On the warp drive motors trying to rack up the miles and blast through on the homebound leg from Utah a couple of years back just out of lovely Barstow CA on Interstate 15. It was just a balmy 108.

med_gallery_2144_7292_1959507.jpg

But the scenery was great with the added soft caress of a sand storm all at the PSL of course. So how do you fix this??

Here are some approaches, I have employed over the years:

1. Perfect timing on the getaway ....i.e. you leave during a cool spell. Ride at night?
  2. Wear the right gear and hydrate. I will talk about my approach.
  3. Hit the slab carrying some speed, suck it up and make tracks or make the dash..cut the corners and blast to the destination.
  4. Split it up with a short trip and an early start the next morning to climb up to altitude before the heat of the day.
  5. Once there stay High i.e. and forget about it
  6. A thinking man's solution or two.  I am just about ready to go back to the ultimate way out.

I hope to discuss my thinking and the list above in subsequent posts. So what are your strategies to beat the heat?

Next item #1 - the perfect plan to get away.

• Member Contributer

Blythe was still 107 at 8:30pm as noted in the weather report above from a couple of days ago!

Well of course It is impossible to have a perfect tour plan with winning the lottery timing.  Unless you are retired and can wait out the weather, one cannot pick the date months beforehand and expect the weather to pan out to your pleasure. 

Even then you may get out of Dodge coolly but get nailed two weeks later on the return.  Stuff happens!  Maybe a run in March or November will work out for you but with concomitant weather risk on the other front. 

About perfect in the desert but a bit nippy at altitude too .......March in AZ.

med_gallery_2144_2760_1093730.jpg

There is a reason folks go to the Dunes in the Winter but not any further i.e. Colorado, Montana, Idaho or Utah.

27564145040_f265561793_c.jpg

May, early June or perhaps October offer some break from the desert crossing heat perhaps, but on the other hand you may still be cut off or "frozen out" from high pass travel later in your trip. Think Tioga Pass, Yellowstone, Colorado or Road to the Sun (yea) in Glacier etc. I have been "burned" on several tours by my dread of the heat forcing major tour detours later as the ultimate tour objectives were iced.

Entirely satisfactory through Glamis Dunes in the Spring on the way home.

medium.DSCF3274Glamis.jpg.303a729525b7e9

But I grabbed this off the National Park site as I investigated my hopes for Glacier earlier in that trip in June.  I think it opened June 17th this year and obviously we did not make Glacier that year.

medium.loganpass2009june11.jpg.0f5be42aa

Are you cooler now?

I once left at dusk praying to beat the heat.  You can see the cooling vest and camelback already donned on my buddy just before the descent down the mountain to the El Centro Valley in California.

27812831456_56a9d2a680_c.jpg

Note the Blythe weather report for that day over eight years ago.  Turned out it was still a hundred in Blythe at midnight! Some respite!

27569463990_5542e68747.jpg 

Sometimes you just have to go with the flow or in this case the huge HIGH (weather that is)! So what is a guy to do.

Well suck it up literally and turn on the warp drive...Next  #2

• Member Contributer

Here is the question you have to answer when on tour?  Will you tolerate potential sustained 95 plus temperatures out west? Be prepared ....it is a "dry heat" don't have your ass kicked! And for the record after you get back in the nineties after a 110 plus leg it is time for the Hallelujah chorus.

This IRON Butt piece is a good read and gives you the basics about riding in extreme heat. These thousand mile a day gents know what they are talking about.

http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/IronButt_1002_62-66_Hot.pdf

Here is my rig with some of the gear I use for full blown heat.  This shot was in May and I was only going to tour a bit in AZ but it turned out I just base camped at altitude in Prescott.

large.DSCN1217.JPG.6453075e3a46ca7ac8ac1

The tank bag has a 50 oz. camelback bladder in there.  Typically I freeze that the night before and fill with ice each morning thereafter.  50 oz. in just not enough water if you are riding in 100 degrees for a typical off the slab period of time.  Moreover the tank bag location does not cut off ventilation i.e. the rear exhaust vent if you are running a camelback on your back.

Note the cooler on the back rack.  Coolers are essential dare I say critical.  You can fill them with frozen goods or drinks before the trip and can fill with ice obviously anytime.  On a really hot day you can fill your camelback with ice, your pockets and then put the left over ice in the fridge!  If I cannot finish a large bottle of Gatorade or something similar I keep it cool there till the next stop.  You can also see a bicycle type water bottle (I carry two) in the side webbing.  This is emergency water in case you break down in a remote area.  One other thing I store in the cooler is my cooling vest.  On a 110 degree day nothing gets you "fired" up like putting your 40 degree soaked cooling vest on!

My vest which I have had for about ten years still works like a charm.  Under extreme circumstances (110+) it lasts about 2 hours.  There are higher tech ones out there but this one is a no brainer.

Here is a representative example.

http://www.cyclegear.com/BILT-Cooling-Waterproof-Vest

Here is mine hanging from the bars at camp in Great Basin NP after a very long hot day in 2011.

med_gallery_2144_5984_2379455.jpg

Here is the perfect stop in the Sierras. The temp was over 100.  In the shade over looking Pine Flat reservoir recharging my vest in a very handy fish cleaning station makes nirvana!!!

large.DSCN0539.JPG.c2483730aa62f46bd669f

large.DSCN0541.JPG.3a58a125cd7c89daa6733

In Utah in 2014, I upgraded the portable cooler to a Polar Bear.  I have a 100 oz. Camelback bladder strapped to the camping gear.  If you rig it right you can keep the bladder off your back.  I will never carry just a 50 ounce bladder again ...maybe both but 50 oz. is not enough on a long lonely stretch of back country road in 100 plus temps.

med_gallery_2144_7292_463150.jpg

On my big bike yes I still believe in hydration and then some.  A one gallon jug with quick disconnect drinking tube.  Not really suited for the VFR!

27587124840_0266ef818a_c.jpg

Essentially above the mid nineties ventilation is not your friend.  Think of enjoying a hair dryer running at full power on your beautiful body. So out west I never really considered getting ventilated/mesh riding gear as I often bust the 95 barrier.  So I am still sticking with my tried and true do it all tour garment - the Aerostich Gore-Tex two piece Roadcrafter.  I run with the cuffs open to scoop just a bit of air along with the pit and rear vents open.  I keep the front zipped up.  I usually don the vest in the 90 plus area.

gallery_2144_2760_392073.jpg

If I was slimmer I would consider running the camelback underneath when it is full of ice but no that isn't working for me now.  Maybe someday I will get a KLIM jacket with an integrated bladder pouch and with better ventilation for just ordinary hot days.

So in severe heat, I wear high tech vapor/cooling undergarments and my cooling vest.  If extra ice is available I fill my pockets too.

Next items #3 & 4.

• Member Contributer

It goes without saying but for those in other parts, Blythe is a proxy for I don't know Yuma, Quartzsite, Barstow, Ridgecrest, Needles, Mojave or dare I say Phoenix or Las Vegas.  Maybe I have it in for Blythe as that was my last major melt down after I aborted a tour when a tooth fell apart, concurrent with a fever and a blistering 113 degrees in Blythe about halfway home a 500 mile day.  What was I thinking?

Seems simple enough to beat the heat...... hit the slab cut in the burner, suck down the water and blast across the desert stretches in as little time as possible. An early start makes sense too.  Unfortunately based on where you live that could mean a five hundred mile plus day in blistering heat if the weather Gods conspire against you. Ironically higher speeds make for even hotter day above 95 degrees,  Just light off the family hair dryer, point it at your face and turn it up to high and see if it is really cooler than the lower setting.

My last V4 trip to Utah was such a day as the four of us hit the road fairly early on the way to Boulder Nevada for a long day in the saddle.  And another 110 plus day was part of that recipe. And will your riding buddies be on the same page as your ideas on the day ahead?

gallery_2144_7292_7726.jpg

Chilling at 100 degrees plus before noon but so enjoying the view. We were destroyed by the time we got to Lake Mead.

large.DSCF3326.JPG.b4f28878be1473f165875

If you opt for a blast I recommend one of these gadgets (the one on the right) to prevent a long hot stop as you discuss performance awards in the sun.

gallery_2144_2760_1178549.jpg

As you can see from my bike pictures I carry camping gear on my tours.  Although saving money on a MC tours is part of the experience and maybe even a rite of passage, I never camp in 100 degree weather to save money.  A man just has to know his limitations!  Plus it is really hard to get an early start in the morning when you have to pack it all up.

Early the next day at approaching 90 degrees (about 0700) just to the west of Lake Mead after leaving Boulder NV.  Can you feel that sun rising?

gallery_2144_7292_1307299.jpg

Of late if the timing allows, I opt for another strategy in an effort to beat the heat.  I just acquiesce and admit that I am not tough enough to go all the way across the desert the first day.  I just park the bike about 200 miles out.

Here I am enjoying the view from my cabin off the Colorado River just north of Yuma.  Nothing beats  sitting on the porch of an air conditioned refuge with a beer after a double century day.  No hurry here as we enjoyed a modest pace with multiple refreshing stops along the way with an early arrival at the destination for the first day.

gallery_2144_2341_1021226.jpg

This way you do not go into a deep hole on day one and it is fun!

Next item #5

• Member Contributer

Haven't had a chance to read all of the story so far but looks like an adventure! Thanks for sharing.

• Member Contributer

Reality is, you can't, "beat the heat" any more than you can "slay the Dragon".  

I love to ride.  It gets hot where I live with much much higher humidity to go along with it than where the OP lives.  When I ride during the summer it is early in the morning and for not long distances.  I don't want to die trying to out-smart mother nature.  It can't be done.  I accept healthy limitations and get my recreation some other way in the heat of summer.  I've been overheated badly twice on a motorcycle and it's simply, downright dangerous for me and other people on the roads.  I don't take that risk any longer.  

• Member Contributer

Last Sunday was a tough one on the DRAGON . Usually have a couple of adult beverages at Tapoco but water only for me .

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Bent said:

Reality is, you can't, "beat the heat" any more than you can "slay the Dragon".  

I love to ride.  It gets hot where I live with much much higher humidity to go along with it than where the OP lives.  When I ride during the summer it is early in the morning and for not long distances.  I don't want to die trying to out-smart mother nature.  It can't be done.  I accept healthy limitations and get my recreation some other way in the heat of summer.  I've been overheated badly twice on a motorcycle and it's simply, downright dangerous for me and other people on the roads.  I don't take that risk any longer.  

TRUE!  All true!

Humidity is not as big a problem out here of course.  Hence the "Dry Heat" refrain but that is really just a laugh track when it closing in on 110!.  From what I understand a cooling vest is pretty much a non starter in higher humidity. 

Some of my buddies that I tour with have what do you call it.....a job which precludes multiple transit days so we have to come up with strategies to buffer the problem.  But when it is really hot.....better park it at a motel (if there is one!).

More ideas coming in next post.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, BonusVFR said:

TRUE!  All true!

Humidity is not as big a problem out here of course.  Hence the "Dry Heat" refrain but that is really just a laugh track when it closing in on 110!.  From what I understand a cooling vest is pretty much a non starter in higher humidity. 

Some of my buddies that I tour with have what do you call it.....a job which precludes multiple transit days so we have to come up with strategies to buffer the problem.  But when it is really hot.....better park it at a motel (if there is one!).

More ideas coming in next post.

A cooling vest, even in the humidity where I live is good for 30 minutes max. then you better be near some water to soak it again.  Staying home or doing other things this time of year can be fun.  That said, I will get up early this Sat. and put on a few miles and be home by 11:00am.  I can cover more twisty roads from daylight to then than I want to.

I've been in the "dry" heat in Arizona and Merced, CA many times.  While dry is better, it gets hotter there than here so it's a wash.  I get it when people use it in jest.  

If you want to learn about heat, work on a drilling rig where a work week is often 100+ hours and 75 miles out in the Gulf of Mexico where everything is made of steel, the sun hits you from the top, bounces off the water back at you, and three electro-motive diesel power plants all conspire to force drilling companies to pay very high wages so people will tolerate that.  I did it 5 summers while going through college.  The money was good and hot..... ; ) 

• Member Contributer

Over the last few years, I have adopted another strategy to avoid the heat on tour.  Essentially after the cross the desert leg, the plan is to camp at high altitude for at least a couple of days.  This not only saves times on setup and pack up but gives one more options on the layover day(s). 

Frankly after a long and brutal day in the heat taking a day off to ride in cool weather is a blessing to say the least.  If the temps are over a 100 degrees in the valley why go there just stay up high and cruise and recover to fight another day.

A few years back, I had intended a return trip to RT36 (Yes that California Gem) in Central California but when the forecast in the Red Bluff and Redding area was in 105+ range we after careful analysis decided that loafing in Lassen NP might be better. This deliberations took about 3 nanoseconds.

What do you think?

gallery_2144_6521_1712190.jpg

gallery_2144_6521_614507.jpg

And don't forget there may be other factors besides the heat. Out west there can be big fires ...lots of them which can really screw up your master plan.  I don't think I ever have conducted a tour as originally planned. Stuff happens as we say!

27495773373_917d687368.jpg

The North Rim of the Grand Canyon qualifies as a superb layover stop with altitudes at least 8,000 ft. The ride from Jacob Lake to the Rim is a fantastic traffic free experience and cool by any measure.

gallery_2144_7292_3043296.jpg

Bryce NP is another fantastic high altitude out and back ride that is cool at 8,000 ft.

gallery_2144_7292_938292.jpg

Once I shagged a layover at a friend's air conditioned home in Boise and then did a loop at altitude to the North to keep cool.

gallery_2144_5984_10579.jpg

Even in Nevada you can score with this strategy.  Though I did not have a day off there I did camp in Great Basin once for the night and one of the campgrounds at the top is about 10,000 ft.  As shown earlier, we camped up a bit lower as the site at the top was under the white stuff but the road up is sublime.

large.DSCF2797.JPG.c4b909b5ed33f2bcef68c

Too bad we could not make it to the top.

large.DSCF2801.JPG.32ff325e0492119f07b7a

Is there a magic bullet?

• Member Contributer

I always thought I was a strong man in the heat whether on a bicycle in Santa Ana conditions or on a VFR but sometimes the "heat" damage is not immediate or even apparent. I learned this the hard way a few years back despite my precautions.  As Bent says you can't beat the heat!

I remember this shot looking at the back of this truck in the Central Valley in California.  Would I melt in the reflection and exhaust of this truck. I was suffering then.

large.DSCF3126truck.JPG.f0e6a7e43c376b34

It was around noon and the temp was only 104 at the time. 

large.DSCF3155.JPG.ceda1a6a2d6d377c1f2f2

My penchant for photography and documentation had dissipated at this point to be sure so no more pictures when it is really hot. Survival not a travelogue was the goal. Most can tough it out for a few hours but days.......I don't know about that?

Later I crossed the Mojave through a windblown section.  It was hot and over 110 again. Great scenery?

large.DSCF3181sand.JPG.6af992cce8cccff9d

At ride's end despite the relatively cool environs of Big Bear Lake the dye had already been cast. That night after a few drinks (Scotch or Irish Whiskey is not the best hydration it turns out) in a campground I ended up in the ER with a kidney stone attack! 

28105460026_ecf181cdfa.jpg

This is how I got home.  A man has to learn his limitations.

gallery_2144_6521_576252.jpg

So where was I on the magic bullet?

Terrific information here, Bonus. I agree entirely, just as sometimes it's too cold to ride, sometimes it's simply too hot... but if you have to ride, you only do so with the correct precautions and mindset.

In Australia most of the really dangerously hot conditions are encountered away from the blacktop, i.e. by riders on dualsport and trail bikes. You do short days, and only from one water replenishing stop to another.

Do you use these?

http://motorbikewriter.com/jacket-ventz-make-hot-riders-cool/

Ventz.jpg]

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, Switchblade said:

Sorry for your troubles BUT the tanker pic is awesome.

Yea not a great photo but it really captured the moment...Hot!  I think I was on RT99 in Central California starting the homeward south bound leg. I had just dropped down from altitude.

• Member Contributer
On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 6:08 PM, The Phantom said:

Terrific information here, Bonus. I agree entirely, just as sometimes it's too cold to ride, sometimes it's simply too hot... but if you have to ride, you only do so with the correct precautions and mindset.

In Australia most of the really dangerously hot conditions are encountered away from the blacktop, i.e. by riders on dualsport and trail bikes. You do short days, and only from one water replenishing stop to another.

Do you use these?

Ventz.jpg]

Thanks....these vents look interesting.  I have not seen these "Ventz" before in the USA.  I would consider this rig in the heat and will have to check them out. 

When temps get hot I open my sleeves at the wrists for the RAM air but do not open any other vents except the exhaust vent on the rear of the jacket.  I use elk skin gloves with a small gauntlets so as not to block the air.

• Member Contributer
On 7/7/2016 at 10:08 PM, The Phantom said:

Do you use these?

Ventz.jpg]

Those are  SWEEEEET      ....

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Yes there is a partial solution to the heat problem and I used to employ the technique years ago. But in more recent years I have had a foolish manly bent and just sucked it up unfortunately instead of sucking it down.

Here it is....just plain heresy you say.

28336307812_61a8ea2966.jpg

No that is not another fire out west but a huge sandstorm we drove (not riding huh!) through somewhere near Phoenix on our way to a 7,000 ft launch point in Flagstaff. The temp dropped to just 110 as the sand blocked out the sun! But dare I say that somehow we managed to survive in our air conditioned cage, actually an even larger SUV.

Three scoots of different persuasions being staged for a comfortable launch in San Diego. Yes that is a trailer.  No worry of getting out of benign San Diego early to beat the heat!

28441603235_e6e09e87ce.jpg  

You have seen this before but speaking of Western Fires a year later almost the whole State was not navigable by a sane rider. 

27495773373_917d687368.jpg  

So I opted for a more pleasant alternative.  I picked a perfect day and direction to ride while on a trip North to Washington State on Interstate Five and that ride was total bliss.

The top of Ebbetts Pass in the Sierras at about 9,000ft.  Note the camelback and tank bag and nothing else.  The old unencumbered VFR was flying on Rt 4 that day.

gallery_2144_3988_941697.jpg

http://scenic4.org/

Later you could see how I was able to cheat the heat again. But have you ridden a motorcycle on Interstate 5 in the summer for one thousand miles?

large.100_9381.JPG.7ce8de55b1795f2a87131

Next more on the wisdom of Pickups and Trailers

• Member Contributer

I bought my trailer over ten years ago to prevent melt downs for my beloved significant other. Little did I know that it was about me too.  The goal was to avoid the heat and wear and tear across long miles of desert and interminable expanse.  So the strategy was enable a "destination ride" without the pain. 

And it worked well whether going to destinations like Yosemite, Yellowstone or the Grand Canyon etc.

You see you never know about the weather if you go high. Avoiding the heat in Flagstaff.

gallery_2144_2341_723516.jpg

I was able to leverage this strategy and combined family and VFR for extended tours in Idaho and Canada as well. I used either my trailer or the truck bed.

In 2009 on the way to our jump off point for a Canadian tour.  I know this is an exciting picture but that is the point isn't it. Why do this on a motorcycle if all you doing is making boring tracks down the Central Valley of California in the heat.

28365793091_3acac7f6fe.jpg 

Returning from Washington State again in 2011 enjoying the view before blasting back on the great California Oregon Corridor interstate. On this particular tour, I rode up to Idaho via CA 395 and slabbed it back with my bride.

gallery_2144_5984_211724.jpg

Besides beating the heat there are other rationales for those willing to admit that "You can't handle the Truth!"

• You can log many more daily miles in a truck than on the bike. 
  • Tire wear..... who cares about that with a car/truck!  But this is a real consideration on extended VFR tours even if you have the latest in sport touring rubber.  Just why would you burn up your shoes and perfect tire profile on the slab?
  • If you touring with a buddy the cost of towing/bedding is about the same as riding two bikes and you can trade off the driving to cover more distance.  Plus you can eat and drink your happy meal while you drive in a T shirt with the AC. 
  • And importantly you do finish with an energy deficit on the first day of the adventure.

Three makes it even more economical! Again avoiding the heat, tire wear and saving time on the transit to the launch spot for Alaska. This is especially important when you are touring faraway places with limited time i.e. you cannot get there from here!

gallery_2144_5543_784446.jpg

Also trucks & trailers are a good option if you setup a base camp to ride out of.  Then you can really pack the comfortable camping gear i.e. more crap as junk expands to room available.

16390211551_cc6a1209f6.jpg 

Last year, I took it to the extremes a bit after a rough solo tour earlier in the year in incredible heat. Yes I was avoiding the heat here on many fronts i.e. trailer, time of the year and altitude. But maybe I did drink too much of my special cocktail.

27828580834_76892a45d4.jpg 

Any more pearls out there?

• Member Contributer

I found this link on a local forum...kinda cool idea, I like the money shot at the end

• Member Contributer

All I can say is that a lot a Germans seem to do this in Europe: trailiering down to Italy, where they (presumably) then ride around.  Or maybe they're off to Tunisia?  No idea. 

I'm hoping to load my family and Aprilia RS250 into my van for a trip down to the San Sebastien area in Spain later this summer.  Just so that I can have a day or two on my own with the bike during the week or so that we'll be there.  We'd probably be taking the van anyway, so we can load up with decent wine and Continental delis on the way back! 

But it still seems like cheating!  :wink:

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I started motorcycle touring in 1973 on a '71 Triumph. Not knowing any better I toured in the summer, which means you cross hundreds of hot. flat miles before you can get anywhere interesting: west is Kansas/eastern Colorado, east is Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, south is, well, hot, north is Iowa and Minnesota.  In later years I started going in late spring, and early autumn and avoiding the worst of the heat. The last 10 years or so we've been traveling with a 5th wheel toyhauler and taking the bikes. It's very nice in a way since we now travel to where we're going to ride, and then spend several days in the area riding, unencumbered by having to haul touring supplies on the bikes.

The only thing I would never do is trailer/haul my bike to a motorcycle rally. I think that's one of the reasons I've always avoided Sturgis and other rallies of that type. What part of "motorcycle rally" don't they understand?

• Member Contributer
23 hours ago, hotshoerob said:

I found this link on a local forum...kinda cool idea, I like the money shot at the end

Aerostich used to have a air pressurized rig something like this.  Hit the button max and you get a blast of cold water. Not sure if they still carry it. Maybe better to drink it but the Tour de France guys always seem to be pouring water on their heads??

Once after a long hot tour I looked for other cooling systems like the AC in my truck. I was desperate then. These solutions are really not for the casual rider perhaps only for the Iron Butt crowd and then only if you have a really BIG bike.  Not sure these ideas would get VFRD approved.

A chilled water solution:

http://www.veskimo.com/body-cooling-vest-products.php

I used something akin to this years ago after I was taken out on a bicycle ride by a head on attack by a Big German Sheppard.  In that case constant cold water to the shoulder after the surgery repair speeded the process.

veskimo-9quart-cooler-system-1-400.jpg

They also have a smaller backpack unit.

And traditional AC ie cool air!

http://www.bikeairusa.com/support.html

I never went there as you would have to carry it all the time. Plus I already have too much crap!

Something like these may be apropos if you are doing a trans USA tour in August crossing the southern USA and back!  But why would you do that?

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, JZH said:

All I can say is that a lot a Germans seem to do this in Europe: trailiering down to Italy, where they (presumably) then ride around.  Or maybe they're off to Tunisia?  No idea. 

I'm hoping to load my family and Aprilia RS250 into my van for a trip down to the San Sebastien area in Spain later this summer.  Just so that I can have a day or two on my own with the bike during the week or so that we'll be there.  We'd probably be taking the van anyway, so we can load up with decent wine and Continental delis on the way back! 

But it still seems like cheating!  :wink:

Ciao,

How about leveraging your valuable time and taking care of family tooooo instead of cheating.:wink:  As I indicated earlier I used to do more truck/trailer gigs and frankly I am heading that way again....for good reason!!!!!

I read this guy's reports etc on Advrider every so often.  He has done some pretty hard core rides but he loves his van as it saves time and wear on his bike, tires and body!

http://bigdogadventures.com/Transit.htm

• Member Contributer
22 hours ago, BonusVFR said:

A chilled water solution:

http://www.veskimo.com/body-cooling-vest-products.php

I used something akin to this years ago after I was taken out on a bicycle ride by a head on attack by a Big German Sheppard.  In that case constant cold water to the shoulder after the surgery repair speeded the process.

veskimo-9quart-cooler-system-1-400.jpg

They also have a smaller backpack unit.

I have the backpack version.  I bought it when I was living in Hong Kong (where the humidity made evaporative-cooling solutions useless), but I moved before I could try it.  Now that I'm back in the frigid UK, there's no need!  But, I will probably try it out in Spain this year or next.  It should work.  But a potential issue is that you need to have a steady supply of ice, and that's not easy to find over here (ice is not something you are likely to find in a UK service station or supermarket--maybe in a hotter part of Europe?)  I haven't really looked for bagged ice on my travels on the Continent, but I sure haven't noticed it...

Ciao,

Archived