Route and POI suggestions Maryville TN to Dahlonega GA

lanesmatb

Planning an overnight trip with the wife starting in Maryville, TN to Dahlonega, GA.  Most of my riding loops around TN129/NC28/Cherohala Pkwy, so I'm not familiar with the roads in southwest NC and north GA.  I hear GA60 and GA180 are "can't miss" so I've got that on my route.

Any route suggestions or "areas of interest" from the VFR brethren?  Since the better half will be with me, scenery or interesting stop suggestions are welcome.

Thanks, in advance.

Scott

trip to Dahlonega.JPG

Dahlonega to Maryville.JPG

Well, I've only done the Dahlonega area once.  Can't remember the road numbers, so all I will say is since you have the wife with you, you should stop in Helen GA for the night.  It will remind you of Gatlinburg about 30 years ago, but with a more Bavarian theme.  Or, if you like camping, go to Fort Mountain State Park outside Elijay GA.  The road up / down from Chatsworth GA / Elijay GA is nice.

Definitely go to Riders Hill in Dahlonega (I guess you already planned to) and check out some MV Agustas and stuff...

Definitely go to Riders Hill in Dahlonega (I guess you already planned to) and check out some MV Agustas and stuff...

Rider's Hill closed their doors back in December. I haven't heard of anyone else in the building.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, wera803 said:

Rider's Hill closed their doors back in December. I haven't heard of anyone else in the building.

Building was vacant last weekedn when I went past there.

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 0:01 AM, CornerCarver said:

Building was vacant last weekedn when I went past there.

Hmm, trying to remember when I was there.  I think it was maybe October.  Seemed to have a good business going that day.  Shrug.

68 is one of my favorite roads... They just paved the worst section of it.

60 in GA is a lot of speed limit changes.

The law is unforgiving if you miss a speed decrease sign. They like motorcycle money.

• Member Contributer

Go out of your way to ride Hwy. 180 (Wolf Pen Gap).  Just don't plan on being sleepy on that road......

• Member Contributer

Richard Russell Parkway (348) is also a nice road.  Also make sure to ride Blood Mountain (U.S 19/129) if you haven't already figured into your plans

If you like a nice, relaxed, scenic ride you can check out the roads around lake Burton which have plenty of nice curves and smooth sweepers with little elevation changes (GA 197 / Seed Lake Road / Bridge Creek Rd.)

• 3 weeks later...

Stop by and say hello to the folks at Two Wheels of Suches located at the intersection of Wolf Pen Gap Road and Ga60.  Great place to stay, eat and make your home base as you explore the best roads in the Southeast for riding (IMHO).  Tell Mary that Steve from ABR sent you in their direction.

• 2 months later...

I would run down to Tellico and take the Cherohalla Skyway to 28 and go South. 28 is great from Deals gap all the way into SC except the 4 lane section before getting to 64/74.

Wolfpen/180 is also vastly improved with newer pavement and 60 north is nice, especially if you take it to 68 and run it back to Tellico.

Enjoy! :beer:

Archived