Heli Bars for 8th Gen - need R&D bike

I contacted Heli about whether they would ever produce bars for the 8th gen. They approved the following information for posting here:

HeliBars would be interested in developing bars for the 2014-2015 Honda VFR800. They need a bike for their R&D department in order to develop the design and build the bars.

HeliBars will then provide a FREE set of bars to the owner of the R&D bike.

Contact HeliBars through their website contact page if you would be interested in doing this: https://www.helibars.com/pages/Contact-HeliBars.html

They are located in Cornish, Maine.

I have he 1.25 inch risers, I can't imagine Heli doing much more on this bike, any higher and the brake and clutch reservoir will hit the windscreen on a full turn.  

On June 17, 2016 at 10:02 AM, F6bguy said:

Just contacted them

On June 17, 2016 at 8:21 PM, Alan553 said:

I have he 1.25 inch risers, I can't imagine Heli doing much more on this bike, any higher and the brake and clutch reservoir will hit the windscreen on a full turn.  

Well, there are handlebar "risers" and then there are "multi-axis adjustable handlebars". I have Heli's "multi-axis adjustable handlebars" on my BMW K75S. Not sure Heli would be interested in making the "multi-axis adjustable handlebars" for the 2014/15 VFR800 because of development expense, would be priced much higher than plain "risers".

Below is pic of "multi-axis adjustable handlebars", which allow for adjusting the angle of the bar in addition to it's height.

Heli is currently making this adjustable bar for a few bikes which can be seen on their website.

Heli bars on K75S.jpg

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 9:21 PM, Alan553 said:

I don't have the big MotoPumps on mine right now to check, but it seems like I thought something taller would work *if* it also came back more.  The MotoPumps go straight up off the base, and that does move the bars back some since the head is tilted of course, but a different shape might work.  The MotoPumps are just a spacer anyway, but HeliBars might be a whole new set of bars that could be wider or whatever too, so the possibility is there.  Not sure how much trouble it would be to change bars, though.

I think the MotoPumps were an expedient solution that someone realized they could do on their own fairly easily.  Much better, and lighter, spacers could be made by someone in the business with more equipment and resources, not to mention complete replacement bars.

10 hours ago, RC79Scott said:

I don't have the big MotoPumps on mine right now to check, but it seems like I thought something taller would work *if* it also came back more.  The MotoPumps go straight up off the base, and that does move the bars back some since the head is tilted of course, but a different shape might work.  The MotoPumps are just a spacer anyway, but HeliBars might be a whole new set of bars that could be wider or whatever too, so the possibility is there.  Not sure how much trouble it would be to change bars, though.

I think the MotoPumps were an expedient solution that someone realized they could do on their own fairly easily.  Much better, and lighter, spacers could be made by someone in the business with more equipment and resources, not to mention complete replacement bars.

i hear you...i had the heli bars on my 92 ST1100, swing forward, backwars, change tilt, up down...they were great and the swap was easy, there was plenty of room...but after putting the motopump risers on the VFR i just couldnt imagine the same versatility  of the bars on this bike...but, i am not an engineer....also the cost of the risers...75 bucks for a dramatic difference, cant beat it. 

12 hours ago, Alan553 said:

i hear you...i had the heli bars on my 92 ST1100, swing forward, backwars, change tilt, up down...they were great and the swap was easy, there was plenty of room...but after putting the motopump risers on the VFR i just couldnt imagine the same versatility  of the bars on this bike...but, i am not an engineer....also the cost of the risers...75 bucks for a dramatic difference, cant beat it. 

The MotoPumps are a good deal.  I switch around with the large ones, the Honda ones, and none at all depending on my mood.

One thing I've discovered, in all configurations but mainly with the MotoPumps, is that the bolt torque can make a difference whether I feel a tingle in the bars.  I first experienced a vibration with the MotoPumps.  I discovered that I torqued by the shop manual (24 ft lb), which is different than the torque specified on the riser instructions (16 ft lb).  MotoPumps just copies Honda's riser instructions, btw.  Since then, after switching them several times, I've found that I need to tweak the torque a little sometimes to do away with that slight tingle I would feel.

So anyone using risers, note that the torque settings are different if you are using risers or not.  Either the manual or the riser instructions *could* be wrong, but I find the different values to work about right actually, depending whether I have risers on or not.  That would mean that the MotoPumps may actually need a different torque setting since Honda's risers are not the same size, not made the same, and MotoPumps uses different spec bolts too.

• 4 weeks later...
On June 22, 2016 at 6:19 PM, RC79Scott said:

The MotoPumps are a good deal.  I switch around with the large ones, the Honda ones, and none at all depending on my mood.

How tall are you?  I'm 6'1" with a 33" inseam.  My aging back could do with a bit less bend while riding.  I'm curious why you switch back and forth between the 2 risers?

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 5:16 PM, Rambler358 said:

How tall are you?  I'm 6'1" with a 33" inseam.  My aging back could do with a bit less bend while riding.  I'm curious why you switch back and forth between the 2 risers?

I'm 5'11".  I don't use the MotoPumps tall risers any more--actually gave them to another VFR owner.  I found that I like the Honda ones the best.  Why did I switch around?  Well, I guess was just trying to find the perfect spot.  I still might go back to stock at times if I know I'm going to be doing mostly sporty riding, but the Honda ones are just about right for every situation for me.

2 minutes ago, RC79Scott said:

I'm 5'11".  I don't use the MotoPumps tall risers any more--actually gave them to another VFR owner.  I found that I like the Honda ones the best.  Why did I switch around?  Well, I guess was just trying to find the perfect spot.  I still might go back to stock at times if I know I'm going to be doing mostly sporty riding, but the Honda ones are just about right for every situation for me.

With the MotoPump 1.25" risers, does it just raise the bars up, or does it move the bars back some towards you as well?  I guess I'm asking if the MotoPump 1.25" risers will lessen the forward lean more so than what the Honda risers do?

Just now, Rambler358 said:

With the MotoPump 1.25" risers, does it just raise the bars up, or does it move the bars back some towards you as well?  I guess I'm asking if the MotoPump 1.25" risers will lessen the forward lean more so than what the Honda risers do?

Either riser will move the bar back some (because the head is tilted toward you).  The 1.25s move it back more, of course.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the crash and multiple surgeries are hell!

As to the Motopump risers, I got the "Goldilocks" height--the middle one, and am perfectly satisfied!  

Im 73, 5'9",  30 inseam. 

Feels like my 2007 FZ1. Which is a good thing. The seat on my fz1 was better than the VFR for me .  But I can live with it. 

Best money I've spent! Also the Grip Puppies raise me up a tad which is perfect. 

• Member Contributer

Yes, they are looking for a donor bike in the New England area.  A great deal for someone!

No Images? Click here

HeliBarsOnly1.jpg

MOTORCYCLES NEEDED!

vfr800f0.jpg

HeliBars are made to fit your bike perfectly. We do all of the R&D and engineering, so all you have to do is install and enjoy them. We take the time to bring each model in house and thoroughly analyze the bike's ergonomics. We go to the trouble of making sure our aftermarket handlebars or risers don't require line changes, that you don't have interference with your tank or fairing, and that you have full lock to lock steering clearance. Those are just some of the details that have to be addressed. All those details are part of our quality AMERICAN engineering and manufacturing, and we take pride in that quality!  Every week we have multiple requests for new model HeliBars. We do our best to honor these requests, but we need to have these bikes in house for development.

Currently we are on the lookout for the following motorcycles:

·       2014+ Honda VFR800

·       2016 Kawasaki ZX10

·       2015+ Yamaha R1

·       2015+ Yamaha FJ09

Do you have one?  Do you live in the New England Area?  If you drop it off for a week or two we are happy to provide you with the FIRST production set FREE of charge (and a voucher for a FREE lunch at a local restaurant!)

Don't see your bike listed? Contact us! We're happy to add your model to the HeliBar wish list, and we may contact you to use your bike for R&D!

Give us a call 800-859-4642

• 5 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Looks like they are ready for order now ladies and gents!

NEW! HeliBars Tour Performance Handlebar Risers for the 2014+ Honda VFR800 Interceptor

Tour Performance Handlebar Riser

HeliBars® Tour Performance Handlebar risers  for the 2014+ Honda VFR800F Interceptor

Our new handlebar riser for the 2014+ Honda VFR800F Interceptor is a great option for those who want an improved ride on their VFR. This latest offering from HeliBars maintains all the stock components and is easy to install.

·        3/4" (19mm) taller**

·        5/16" (8mm) rearward**

·        All original cables and hydraulic lines are retained

·        Complimentary bronze powder coat

·        Easy installation (under 45 minutes)

·        Exceptional build quality backed by a 30 day money back satisfaction guarantee

·        P/N:  HR01120

·        Retail Price:  $89.00

HR01120_web-2__11037_zoom1.jpg

Hmm... I was expecting something different from the MotoPumps riser.  Has anyone had their hands on both and can tell if there's any difference between Helibar and Motopumps risers?

Archived