ABS light flashing?

BuZZ

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 27/06/2016 at 4:50 AM, Grum said:

Hey Buzz. How did it go on the weekend - anything to report?

Hey Grum! I got a mail notification but I couldn't find your message here. Maybe you deleted it?

Just in case, this is picture of the part that was replaced (rear modulator), it was a used part I found on eBay:

161119101200369451.jpg

So far so good, after 2 weeks, the ABS light doesn't flash anymore.

• Member Contributer

Hi Buzz.

Good news sounds like its fixed. I did start a message then decided to delete it. Good to see a photo of what the culprit looks like.

Cheers.

Grum.

• Member Contributer

Well done Buzz...
I would be asking for the old one back and opening it up, probably just a sticky part! Then you could post your findings for everyone...
I dug into a 'K' jetronic fuel pump years ago, expensive new, had a fitter and Turner mate, fixed it for about ten bucks. He went on to make a really good business out of it.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Forbes said:

Well done Buzz...
I would be asking for the old one back and opening it up, probably just a sticky part! Then you could post your findings for everyone...
I dug into a 'K' jetronic fuel pump years ago, expensive new, had a fitter and Turner mate, fixed it for about ten bucks. He went on to make a really good business out of it.

I actually kept the faulty modulator, in case the "new" one wouldn't solve my problem. I'll give it a look in a month maybe, when I'll be sure that everything is fine :-) 

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer
On 19/11/2016 at 8:46 PM, BuZZ said:

I actually kept the faulty modulator, in case the "new" one wouldn't solve my problem. I'll give it a look in a month maybe, when I'll be sure that everything is fine :-) 

Hi guys!

After a few month without any ABS light flashing, I wanted to discard my old ABS unit, but remembered first to take it appart. Here are some pictures:

170319053910990263.jpg

170319053910634269.jpg

170319053910410083.jpg

The electric motor is moving the little crankshaft, which in turn moves the two little black pistons that you can see in the second picture. This builds pressure for the system when ABS is triggered I guess. The spring system also pushes on the crankshaft from the other side when the system is at rest. I guess the back connector (top left) serves to tell the position of the crankshaft.

There was a bit a grease around the cranksaft, but nothing much that I could see elsewhere.

I still don't know what was wrong with this unit.

• Member Contributer

I would hazard that that's more of a servo than an actual spinning motor, so yes, probably got hot and fried....or just dry joints internally?

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Forbes said:

I would hazard that that's more of a servo than an actual spinning motor, so yes, probably got hot and fried....or just dry joints internally?

I think you are right, the gear on the crankshaft is not a "full circle" one, so not doing complete revolutions.

i have no idea at this point if it is working or not.

• 3 months later...

Hi all, first post on this Forum.  I know your problem was not a voltage issue BUT it is worth noting that my ABS light started flashing in exactly the same way. One of my  headlight bulbs also blew but that does happen on occasions. Long one short, I had the VFrR's achilees heel charhpging issue for (only) the second time on this same bike in 10 years. Yes it was the generator. While replacing it I replaced it with new R/R I bought 6 yrs ago when I had last charging issue. I put the old R/R back on 6yrs ago as I realised the gen. was busted. So.......this time I thought I'd put the new R/R on at same time, after all same one on from new in 2006. Guess what, after fixing it all, initially 14.5V across battery....all good.....took it for a 30 mile ride.....ABS flashes and I later discovered h bulb gone. After much reading of Haynes on ABS I came onto Forum and read this thread an earlier comment re. poss. cooking ABS unit so CHECK VOLTAGE. Did it on start up and guess what....18V. noooooo!!!!  Put old R/R back on and problem was completely solved. What a pain but Imdidn't cook the new battery so I got away with it with just one bulb loss....phew. Just thought ai'd post this to,endorse earlier comment that it worth checking running voltage (so quick to do) before digging too deep elsewhere as my 11 year old bike has never had an ABS prob. (Yet!!). Lucky me. Hope this is,of some help.......I am looking in UK to buy Voltmeter and fit it.....it's a must as far as I'm concerned.

Archived