ABS light flashing?

BuZZ

• Member Contributer

Hey guys!
I own a 08 VFR VTEC with ABS. My second one and I love it as much as the first one :-)

Recently, the ABS light started flashing and I don't know why. Before going to the dealer, I'm looking for advices on what could be the cause and what I could do to fix it myself if possible.

The light usually starts flashing while riding (after a while), not from startup. If I turn off the engine and the bike, the light doesn't flash right away when I boot it again.

I haven't tried to trigger the ABS while braking to see how it performs when the light is flashing. I actually think that I've never been in a situation where I had to experience the ABS :-)

I couldn't see any external damage to the ABS sensor wheels, nor to the front sensor. I couldn't remove and inspect the rear sensor due to lack of accessibility because of the brake lines.

Any ABS expert that could point something that I could test easily? I have a good set of basic tools and a multimeter.

Thanks in advance and ride safe!

• Member Contributer

Just a shot in the dark, but the very first thing I'd do is check my voltage. Make sure you aren't cooking the ABS computer.

• Member Contributer

OK, I checked the voltage at the battery (which I changed few months ago, way before the ABS light started to blink).

Contact ON, engine OFF : 12,85V

Contact ON, engine ON : 14,70V

Seems OK to me, no?

I have a Zumo GPS and third-party heat grips fitted on the bike. The GPS works OK, and I wasn't using the heated grips recently. In fact I noticed that 2 of the the grips electrical connections have been severed due to the fact the the relay to which they were connected was able to move freely under the seat. I corrected that :-)

Reading the service manual (always RTFM ...) I also discovered the diagnosis procedure for ABS system, and I get codes 5 and 13 (I had to film and slow down the video to be sure about the number of flashes :-) Fuses are fine.

5 is "Rear control motor system" and 13 is "Rear motor driver circuit". I erased those codes as indicated.

I have a long ride on Sunday, I'll see then if the problem is coming back. In the meantime, I'll also check the connection of the rear wheel speed sensor.

• Member Contributer

The 5-13 code is back :-(

I wanted to remove the rear ABS sensor for inspection and cleaning, but its front bolt is not very accessible (rear is OK).

I tried to use a socket, but it wouldn't fit because of the brake line and a 8mm spanner doesn't have enough space around to move.

160622091947190589.jpg

Any advice on how to proceed?

Thanks!

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, BuZZ said:

The 5-13 code is back :-(

I wanted to remove the rear ABS sensor for inspection and cleaning, but its front bolt is not very accessible (rear is OK).

I tried to use a socket, but it wouldn't fit because of the brake line and a 8mm spanner doesn't have enough space around to move.

160622091947190589.jpg

Any advice on how to proceed?

Thanks!

Hi Buzz.

Why bother with trying to remove the rear wheel speed sensor??? You don't have a rear speed sensor fault! Have you confirmed that your rear brake ABS actually works? If not, when was the last time the brake system was fully bled/flushed? Could you have crap build-up in the rear modulator valve? Have you tried disconnecting the battery negative lead for a while?

Just throwing in a few ideas - never owned a 6th gen with ABS.

Good luck.

Cheers.

Grum.

• Member Contributer

Hi Grum! Thanks for the input!

You're right, the fault is probably not coming from the sensor itself, but I thought it would be easy to check anyway :-)

I didn't try to trigger the rear ABS while the light is flashing. I'll try to disconnect the battery tonight. I have a weekend ride on Saturday. I'll check the result then.

My bike has had its last full service by a bike mechanic (not Honda) (48000 km/32000 miles) 6 months ago (now 52000 km), and the brakes were bled at that time.

I checked the prices for used rear ABS modulator on internet, it is not too expensive (if it works!). I don't know if it's something I could change myself, I've never bled brakes before ...

Any idea for the price of a new unit if proven faulty?

• Member Contributer

Bonjour BuZZ.

Take the bike for a ride and on a straight stretch of road slam the rear brake on and try to lock up the rear wheel. The ABS will either work or not, and just perhaps if the rear wheel modulator does work, it just might clear the fault of its own accord - worth a try!

Cheers.

Grum.

• Member Contributer
On 24 June 2016 at 8:15 PM, BuZZ said:

I'll see how it goes this weekend and I'll keep you guys posted!

Hey Buzz. How did it go on the weekend - anything to report?

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Grum said:

Hey Buzz. How did it go on the weekend - anything to report?

Hi Grum! Weekend was nice :-) We went to the Pyrénées and Andorra. Nice weather in the valleys but we were in the clouds in the heights. But I guess that's not what you want to know :-)

I didn't have the opportunity to really test my ABS during the ride, since the fault was intermittent (ABS light flashing happened only once i think) and I didn't want to slam the brakes in front on the next rider.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to do anything about it until next week :-(

I'll keep you informed!

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Hello guys,

I went to the Dolomites (north Italy, it's bikers' paradize :-) with my VFR (4000 km in total), and I thought the ABS light fixed itself when I dropped the bike :-/ It happened when I wanted to take a picture and I stopped the bike on a slope. The stand didn't hold the loaded bike and bam! Fairing and pannier cover badly scratched :-( But no more flashing ABS light :-) Anyway, the ABS light started flashing again a few days later, so the fix is not permanent.

I will leave the bike with a dealer here in 10 days from now. I suspected the rear ABS regulator to have a problem, according to the 5-13 code, but the mechanic never changed this part on a VFR, so he believes that's not the faulty part. I hope he's right, a brand new part alone is 1700€ !

Thanks for reading, here are some pictures of the Dolomites trip :-)

Start in Rouen, Normandy, France

160902025850774860.jpg

Stelvio Pass, Italy

160902025854543816.jpg

Dolomites views :

160902025830577711.jpg

160902025902988239.jpg

160902025908503433.jpg

Grimsel pass and Furka pass, Switzerland on my way back :

160902025828775130.jpg

Trips:

160902034645560441.jpg

• Member Contributer

Now that's what I'm talking about! Beautiful scenery and talk about a twisty road! Hopefully the ABS issue will get resolved and not for 1700 price. Thanks for the pictures and good luck.

• Member Contributer

Great photos.  The Dolomites are spectacular - awesome place to ride a motorcycle.  Lots of fun places to stop too. 

Regarding the ABS issue, it's not easy to access, but it might be worthwhile to check all the electrical connections and any wires for chafing to / from the ABS unit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 2 septembre 2016 at 4:48 PM, Cogswell said:

Regarding the ABS issue, it's not easy to access, but it might be worthwhile to check all the electrical connections and any wires for chafing to / from the ABS unit.

I'm glad you like the pictures :-)

As for the ABS problem, I left my bike at the local Honda workshop this morning. After a day, they still don't know what i wrong with her.

They tried to bypass the existing wiring, to try to isolate the source of the problem, but with no success :-( They bled the brakes as well, no more luck. They will ask a more technical guy from Honda mothership for his advice.

Maybe it's time to find a source for a used modulator ... :-(

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,I also have the same problem with my abs,i ride the exact same model (08).I also went to the Honda workshop and my mechanic said it was a faulty sensor,so he changed my abs sensor but the problem remains.And right now i am out ideas on what the heck there is wrong with my abs and how to fix it.If you have any news on whats wrong with your problem please share it,maybe it will help fix mine also

Thanx in advance

• Member Contributer

This video has some DIY diagnostic info that can be followed to eliminate some connector / sensor issues.  If it ends up being the ABS control module it will probably require some factory diagnostics.  Unfortunately it seems that often mechanics at dealers are not well versed in this - they bleed the system, or throw a new sensor at it without definitively determining what is wrong.  At least some things can be eliminated before taking it to a dealer. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb6nXV-iamI

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, Aenarion said:

Hi,I also have the same problem with my abs,i ride the exact same model (08).I also went to the Honda workshop and my mechanic said it was a faulty sensor,so he changed my abs sensor but the problem remains.And right now i am out ideas on what the heck there is wrong with my abs and how to fix it.If you have any news on whats wrong with your problem please share it,maybe it will help fix mine also

Thanx in advance

Hi Aenarion!

I just got on the phone with the Honda workshop. What they want to do is to try to invert the electrical connections between the front and rear ABS units, and check if the "rear module error" becomes a "front module error". In that case, it will mean that the fault is coming from the unit itself, and I will have to change it. Fortunately, they agree to install a second hand unit I could buy, on eBay for example (price range: 30 to 80 €) .

I will leave them my bike on the 11th of october. More news to come then ...

7 hours ago, BuZZ said:

Hi Aenarion!

I just got on the phone with the Honda workshop. What they want to do is to try to invert the electrical connections between the front and rear ABS units, and check if the "rear module error" becomes a "front module error". In that case, it will mean that the fault is coming from the unit itself, and I will have to change it. Fortunately, they agree to install a second hand unit I could buy, on eBay for example (price range: 30 to 80 €) .

I will leave them my bike on the 11th of october. More news to come then ...

Thank you very much for your reply,i will wait till the 11th before taking it to my mechanic :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 29/9/2016 at 8:10 PM, Aenarion said:

Thank you very much for your reply,i will wait till the 11th before taking it to my mechanic :D

I actually ordered a used modulator in the UK, from eBay for 25€ (including delivery :-). Chances are low that it would be defective too. I'll give it to the mechanic as soon as I receive it.

This has to be sorted out soon, I'm moving again over the next two weeks and I want my bike!!!

• Member Contributer

Mine started flashing while riding or would just stay on,but no codes. Voltages all were perfect, but what gave it away was suddenly I lost both high beam bulbs. Blew two sets in two days, checked voltage and it was 15.8 to 16.5. Replaced the R/R with a Ricks spare I had, voltage was 14.5 for 5 days no ABS lights beams all good and then my stator failed with the Ricks. After a custom rewind repair and an R1 R/R all is good and my new volt meter shows a solid 14.4.

Voltage doesn't always show as bad right away my first precursor of a problem was my ABS light was acting funny.

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, aristo said:

Mine started flashing while riding or would just stay on,but no codes. Voltages all were perfect, but what gave it away was suddenly I lost both high beam bulbs. Blew two sets in two days, checked voltage and it was 15.8 to 16.5. Replaced the R/R with a Ricks spare I had, voltage was 14.5 for 5 days no ABS lights beams all good and then my stator failed with the Ricks. After a custom rewind repair and an R1 R/R all is good and my new volt meter shows a solid 14.4.

Voltage doesn't always show as bad right away my first precursor of a problem was my ABS light was acting funny.

This is what I'm hoping for! I've got a 6th Gen in the garage with electrical issues. It went through some R/Rs (Including a Rick's) and the ABS light is flashing. Roasted a re-wound stator before adding a series type R/R. Hoping a newly re-wound stator and the series R/R will clear up the ABS light once everything is right.

(Not my bike, just trying to fix it)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Just an update to tell that I have no update :-( The mechanic left for a week of vacation and left my bike taken apart! I will have to wait for two more weeks before I can come back here to pick it up ...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

More news: i got my bike back yesterday! The modulator I bought from eBay has been fitted, and it seems the the ABS light is not flashing anymore :-)

I rode it back from my hometown to the place I live now (150 km). Fingers crossed it will stay that way.

The bill was reasonable: 130 € including taxes (+25€ for the modulator itself) for 2 hours of work+brake fluid (they kept my bike almost a month!).

Archived