Offline GPS for IOS

Squamishvfr

I'm interested to know what people have to say about the current offerings for loading GPS navigation onto an i-pad and slip that into my tank bag.  I'm after route planning and turn by turn navigation through the headphones for when I'm in Urban areas trying to find my way around.  I don't really think I need to keep it in view.   I'd like all the maps and data to be loaded on the device so I can have full use of it without a network connection.  

So far it seems Magellan has what I need but I'd like to avoid buyers remorse.

Many thanks in advance. 

9 hours ago, Squamishvfr said:

Navmii looks good....

Can even have snoop dog's voice vector me to my target

+1

I just started using the Navmii free version. I like the graphics and it integrates the IOS music player pretty well too.

1 hour ago, Darrenk said:

+1

I just started using the Navmii free version. I like the graphics and it integrates the IOS music player pretty well too.

Maps are loaded and no network connection required? 

49 minutes ago, Squamishvfr said:

Maps are loaded and no network connection required? 

Once the maps are loaded, no network connection needed. Just make sure you download ALL of the states along your desired route BEFORE you lose service...Ask me how I know!

• Member Contributer
I'm interested to know what people have to say about the current offerings for loading GPS navigation onto an i-pad and slip that into my tank bag.  I'm after route planning and turn by turn navigation through the headphones for when I'm in Urban areas trying to find my way around.  I don't really think I need to keep it in view.   I'd like all the maps and data to be loaded on the device so I can have full use of it without a network connection.  

So far it seems Magellan has what I need but I'd like to avoid buyers remorse.

Many thanks in advance. 

In my experience, a tablet in a bag will overheat and shut off in very little time in exposed sunlight.

4 hours ago, SCguy said:

In my experience, a tablet in a bag will overheat and shut off in very little time in exposed sunlight.

I'm more concerned about it getting wet.  Of the times I truly wished I had it was at night and or in the pissing rain 

• Member Contributer
17 minutes ago, Squamishvfr said:

I'm more concerned about it getting wet.  

Most Mike comment ever.

• Member Contributer

This will be good, I can see Mike sitting in the middle of the road waiting for the navigation to make up its mind when it tries to take him the round about directions instead of as the crow flies....

8 hours ago, digitallyhip said:

Most Mike comment ever.

Kicking the piss out of me aside, You're the IT guy...Am I going down the wrong road here?  I don't have money to waste.  Ipad mini2 32GB for $378.  Few more dollars at the app store for Navmii maps and extras.  Seems to me to be more multifunctional than a stand alone unit

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/apple-ipad-mini-2-wi-fi-32gb-space-grey-grey/6000145358459

• Member Contributer

Another thought is the free app Maps.me I have it downloaded on my phone and it has turn by turn directions also, although I haven't used them, the maps are great

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Squamishvfr said:

Kicking the piss out of me aside, You're the IT guy...Am I going down the wrong road here?  I don't have money to waste.  Ipad mini2 32GB for $378.  Few more dollars at the app store for Navmii maps and extras.  Seems to me to be more multifunctional than a stand alone unit

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/apple-ipad-mini-2-wi-fi-32gb-space-grey-grey/6000145358459

I kid because I care.

I'm not an iPad nav expert by any means, but I know a bit.

1. If you buy a wifi-only iPad, it doesn't have a "real" GPS radio in it. Instead it does GPS via software. I don't know that it's worse, but it's sure not better. This means that I'd buy the 3G version, which costs more.
  2. For that kind of money, why not find a motorcycle-specific unit like this?

You're right that the iPad does more, other things, but the Zumo is waterproof, has lifetime map updates, and simply works. You have a smartphone for apps and all the other stuff, so what you really want/need is reliable nav.

3 hours ago, digitallyhip said:

I kid because I care.

I'm not an iPad nav expert by any means, but I know a bit.

1. If you buy a wifi-only iPad, it doesn't have a "real" GPS radio in it. Instead it does GPS via software. I don't know that it's worse, but it's sure not better. This means that I'd buy the 3G version, which costs more.
  2. For that kind of money, why not find a motorcycle-specific unit like this?

You're right that the iPad does more, other things, but the Zumo is waterproof, has lifetime map updates, and simply works. You have a smartphone for apps and all the other stuff, so what you really want/need is reliable nav.

I was under the impression that it does use it's internal GPS system to determine location, or is it that the 3G version does that but without actually using the network itself?  What and where is that distinction made?  This is why its nice to talk about it.  

56 minutes ago, Knight said:

Does your particular pad have a GPS chip? If yes I think you can download and use Google Maps. Test?

I haven't bought one yet.  Trying to educate myself on how it's supposed to work.  Seems like I need to buy a network compatible unit to get the better GPS system even though I have no intention of using it on a network.  I'm still leaning towards a pad as it's more versatile  than a stand alone unit.  I could load it with Navionics and use it for marine navigation as well; the list goes on...

Am I on the right track with the Ipad hardware itself?  The wiFi version is not the way to go?  I'd need the cel network version?

• Member Contributer

Any reason you're stuck on an iPad? I used an old Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 I bought for $20 and it worked great.

1 hour ago, SCguy said:

Any reason you're stuck on an iPad? I used an old Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 I bought for $20 and it worked great.

Meah, just the whole family has apple right down to the TV, I have a Iphone etc  I assume I can use my same itunes apps and music.  Seemed to make more sense.  

the Bad Elf suggested in the blog above looks like it would be just the ticket.  Bit pricey but I can get an Ipad for $378 and the GPS unit for $128us plus free or near free maps.  Then if I bought the Navionics Charts I can use it on the water as well...

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Squamishvfr said:

Meah, just the whole family has apple right down to the TV, I have a Iphone etc  I assume I can use my same itunes apps and music.  Seemed to make more sense.  

the Bad Elf suggested in the blog above looks like it would be just the ticket.  Bit pricey but I can get an Ipad for $378 and the GPS unit for $128us plus free or near free maps.  Then if I bought the Navionics Charts I can use it on the water as well...

I had forgotten about the external GPS module. And that you boat. Navionics on the iPad is AMAZING! Proceed.

4 hours ago, digitallyhip said:

I had forgotten about the external GPS module. And that you boat. Navionics on the iPad is AMAZING! Proceed.

So though it will be more money, according to the aviation crowd the LTE model is the way to go as it uses both AGPS from WiFi and Cel towers for fast initial fix as well as Waas and other protocols for when you're not near cel towers.  I would however like to be able to check HDOP and DGPS fix 

• Member Contributer
On 6/15/2016 at 11:31 AM, Squamishvfr said:

So though it will be more money, according to the aviation crowd the LTE model is the way to go as it uses both AGPS from WiFi and Cel towers for fast initial fix as well as Waas and other protocols for when you're not near cel towers.  I would however like to be able to check HDOP and DGPS fix 

We raced around Vancouver Island with an iPad, external GPS (bluetooth connection) and Navionics. Very, very cool and works where there are no cell towers (the outside of VI, for instance).

6 hours ago, digitallyhip said:

We raced around Vancouver Island with an iPad, external GPS (bluetooth connection) and Navionics. Very, very cool and works where there are no cell towers (the outside of VI, for instance).

The only habitual thing that grinds me is that I'm trained to check HDOP and DGPS fix on a regular basis.  Was there a way you could check accuracy or did you just take it on faith?  I'm not worried when it comes to land GPS, but on the water at night you might massage a rock inadvertantly?

Archived