Bike idles fine when brake applied issue

Sephux

Hello everyone! I currently bought a 1985 VF700F from a seller on craigslist. Bike is in decent shape and had the carbs rebuilt last year. I am having an idle and throttle issue with the bike currently. Seems to me that the bike only idles fine when the front brake is applied half way, with choke on. As soon as we let go of the front brake the bike wants to die out and sounds like its sputtering/backfiring. Headlight and tail light start flickering as soon as we let go of the front brake as well. When we try to ride the bike, the moment we give it gas it seems to bog out and not go any faster than around 5 mph and backfires a lot. But if i hit the front brake a little bit the bike speeds up to around 10 mph. Doesn't seem to go any faster than that. Need help with this issue! Any suggestions? Was thinking maybe it was an air/fuel mixture problem? Thank you for the help in advance!

PS: We have to jump start the bike and realized previous owner monkey wired the fuel lines..

• Member Contributer

No need to double post, but welcome to VFRD :-)

Like you I'm struggling to understand this. But it seems to me that you at the least have an electrical problem. Does the front brake work the brake light, and if so, is the wire which supplies power to the front brake contacting another wire or earth. The electrical fault is maybe upsetting the ignition too. Try removing the fuse which serves the lights and see if it idles okay.

On 6/11/2016 at 10:12 PM, mobikie said:

Like you I'm struggling to understand this. But it seems to me that you at the least have an electrical problem. Does the front brake work the brake light, and if so, is the wire which supplies power to the front brake contacting another wire or earth. The electrical fault is maybe upsetting the ignition too. Try removing the fuse which serves the lights and see if it idles okay.

Yes the front brake works the brake light. I will try to remove the fuse and see if it helps. I will also double check on if the front brake wires are making contact with anything else. Thanks for the advice i will keep you posted!

Archived