Where Are The SoCal Rides?

Rogue_Biker

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

What's a day ride?

Just got back from WCRM, leaving for Colorado in a week. Likely on the 94 again with 136K on the clock. 98 is being a bad girl.

PS good to see you posting again. Figured you just needed a break from the internot.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, tc339 said:

You gotta join us NorCal riders. :) :wheel:

I have! Lol

• Member Contributer

Where are the SoCal rides?? Here's one:

LOL, just kidding. A little off topic but I actually like this chase scene better. The second half of this video reminds me of riding on Mulholland Hwy. through the Santa Monica mountains.:

2 hours ago, 2FAST4U said:

The second half of this video reminds me of riding on Mulholland Hwy

That's a little exaggerated. But if you look there are thousands of crash videos on the infamous snake.

Both 2 and 4 wheel dipsticks making the same mistakes and crashing in the same spots. :squid:

I won't go there on the weekend. These idiots are dangerous and attract hard nosed cops.

Same goes for Angeles Crest Hwy 2. :wacko:

For whatever reason the cluster f*** seems to mostly stay on the same roads.

I choose the road less traveled locally. I need a longer distance road trip though. :sleep:

• Member Contributer

^ I admit I've only been on Mulholland Hwy. once (October or November of last year), but the second half of that chase scene does remind me of it. You've probably been on it at least 100 times, so I'm sure you're much more familiar with it than I am. Again, I'm simply saying it reminds me of it. I was on it the entire length of the highway (if I remember correctly, it starts near Calabasas and ends near Pacific Palisades; it seems to me that near Calabasas, there are a few horse ranches in the area).

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, 2FAST4U said:

^ I admit I've only been on Mulholland Hwy. once (October or November of last year), but the second half of that chase scene does remind me of it. You've probably been on it at least 100 times, so I'm sure you're much more familiar with it than I am. Again, I'm simply saying it reminds me of it. I was on it the entire length of the highway (if I remember correctly, it starts near Calabasas and ends near Pacific Palisades; it seems to me that near Calabasas, there are a few horse ranches in the area).

Mulholland Highway starts in Calabasas and goes all the way to Malibu, just below the Ventura County line at Leo Carrillo State park, Pacific Palasades is closer to Santa Monica I.e. further South, but I can see if you've only been on the road once that it could give one the memory of Mulholland. Unlike VFRLee, I go to Mlaibu and ACH on the weekends and never have a problem. I also do longer rides on roads less travelled but these usually require more than a day, if not all day. 

If if you ever make your way back here, look me up I'd be glad to show you the local riding haunts.

• Member Contributer

^ I'll take you up on that.

When my father got out of high school, he did a four year stint in the Navy and then headed to California. In his words, it was the place to be and so everyone was going there. Nowadays I frequently hear stories of people that left California (or want to leave it) because its become so unaffordable. That's really unfortunate because it's truly a great place.

9 hours ago, 2FAST4U said:

^ I'll take you up on that.

When my father got out of high school, he did a four year stint in the Navy and then headed to California. In his words, it was the place to be and so everyone was going there. Nowadays I frequently hear stories of people that left California (or want to leave it) because its become so unaffordable. That's really unfortunate because it's truly a great place.

It used to be the place to be, but too many people had that idea and moved here.  Now it is over crowded and over priced.  I can remember when sales tax was a mere 6% and every road seemed to be freshly paved.  I'm looking to move out, but my job is here.

There are still some of the best roads here, you just have to go find them, and they are the ones less traveled.

• Member Contributer

I was born and grew up there, but moved abroad 20 years ago.  Things do seem to have got a bit worse in CA over the years, but it's hard for me to gauge that anymore.  I'd still go back if the right opportunity presented itself, though!

Ciao,

We're getting :offtopic:

California (the good parts) in general is expensive, crowded, politically weird, fiscally/hydrologically unsustainable, and culturally broken (in my ever-so-humble opinion).

That said, the unbelievably diverse natural beauty, insanely good year-round riding (and good skiing in winter), diversity, and some of the best wine and food in the world keep me here. For now.

And I love SoCal - would like to join a SoCal VFRD ride at some point. I personally enjoy the Mulholland shenanigans and go whenever I have the chance. It's a car/bike show in motion.

• Member Contributer

Ask any adult human being, on any random day in the last 1000 years, and he or she will tell you that everything was better 20 years ago.  :wink:

CA is motorcycling paradise.

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 9:05 PM, MBrane said:

What's a day ride?

Just got back from WCRM, leaving for Colorado in a week. Likely on the 94 again with 136K on the clock. 98 is being a bad girl.

PS good to see you posting again. Figured you just needed a break from the internot.

MBrane, I've been posting in OCMOTO exclusively but not too much.  The older I get the less time I seem to have to do everything!  But I've been riding very regularly (usually with Duc2V4).  I plan to post more here as I ride the VFR more the rest of this year.  I feel like I've come to the realization that the VFR800 fits me the best.

We should hook up this summer.  I heard ACH is open all the way to Wrightwood now so my plan is to ride it all the way across and back on Father's Day.

10 hours ago, ridered said:

It used to be the place to be, but too many people had that idea and moved here.  Now it is over crowded and over priced.  I can remember when sales tax was a mere 6% and every road seemed to be freshly paved.  I'm looking to move out, but my job is here.

There are still some of the best roads here, you just have to go find them, and they are the ones less traveled.

Absolutely right on.  CA is the most populous state in the USA with 37+ million souls!  I'm going to guess that 60% of those are in SoCal!

Every start of the summer all the douchebags of the riding world come out to SoCal and it's a zoo at the popular places.  Malibu, ACH, Palomar, etc.  Luckily, most of them can't wake up early worth a damn!  LOL!  So if you wake up early enough you can have most of these roads to just a few riders.  Best time to go is during the weekday.  But who has weekdays off right?  LOL!

Anyway, you're right there are still roads less traveled in SoCal.  There are also lots of roads less traveled outside of SoCal but within an overnight stay away.  Perfect VFR getaway.

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, JZH said:

I was born and grew up there, but moved abroad 20 years ago.

I too live abroad but have been fortunate to get to California by bike annually since 1994. Mostly in NorCal, but with the odd jaunt further south.

To the OP: Can't help you with organizing a group but have some favourite roads. Of course, traffic is no doubt lighter mid-week - an advantage to vacationers & retirees - but I really like Angeles Crest. Others include Ca33 from Ojai, Lockwood Valley Rd., Ca166, Ca58 from McKittrick-Santa Marguerita, Santa Rosa Cr Rd out of Cambria.

Where in SOCAL? I ride with some sportbike guys mostly. We hit Palomar, Banner, Montezuma, etc. 

Occasionally, we make a big loop up north of LA and across ACH, but we're San Diego,  so mostly we stay down here. I never see other VFR riders though. 

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 9:48 PM, Lorne said:

To the OP: Can't help you with organizing a group but have some favourite roads. Of course, traffic is no doubt lighter mid-week - an advantage to vacationers & retirees - but I really like Angeles Crest. Others include Ca33 from Ojai, Lockwood Valley Rd., Ca166, Ca58 from McKittrick-Santa Marguerita, Santa Rosa Cr Rd out of Cambria.

Lorne, been there done that on all those roads.  Most of those are my favorite roads in the Central Coast of California.  I like revisiting all of them once a year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Well, following "Brexit", I think I may be back riding the lovely California roads sooner rather than later!  What to do with my non-US bikes, though, is a bit of a concern... :unsure:

Ciao,

JZH, I think the whole internet world is making too many doomsday scenarios with Brexit.

I strongly believe that the Micro/Macro Economics of this whole thing will find its equilibrium point sooner rather than later.  Money will talk and bullshit will walk.  Everyone will be clamoring for the least painful way to navigate the legality of Brexit and things will calm down.  This is because human nature will always follow their own self-interest and so everyone will try their best to minimize the cost of Brexit.  Result, not too much will change.  Europe will continue to trade with the UK and vice versa.  And despite what Obama warned the people of the UK, as far as the US is concerned the UK will always be at the FRONT of the line.  Nobody is going to want to jeopardize anything by making drastic changes.  The European Union, primarily Western Europe, is just butt-hurt that so many people in the UK don't like their views and so want to divorce!  LOL!  They'll get over it.  The UK will be stronger in the end and will continue to be a staunch military and economic partner of the USA.

• Member Contributer

I hope you're right.  A lot depends on the leadership the UK has during the negotiations to come.  Both good and bad deals are possible...

Ciao,

Archived