Sierra Nevada - Passes Open Tour - June 4th

BrianF

Unless we get hit with a random blizzard, it looks like 108, 88, 4, 89 and 50 will all be open on June's first weekend. Obviously I want to get up there, shred some tarmac and enjoy some vistas.

Anyone want in? I may do this as an overnighter, but will depend on the level of interest. Status of my favorites (Wentworth, Mosquito) will also be a big factor. Saturday or Sunday both work for me.

As a day ride, probably something like this: https://goo.gl/maps/aVB4BrBSqGE2

FINAL INFO FROM BELOW:

Meeting point is Starbucks in Manteca: 1451 Hulsey Way. KSU at 9am!

Final route is: https://goo.gl/maps/XW4eaucztWq

Plan is, as always, to have lunch at Mountain View BBQ in Coleville. Based on the route it might be a late lunch - bring some snacks.

IN:

BrianF

ecn

tjclyde

St. Stephen

RC1237V

tc339

bayarearider (with new shoes)

crazybro (ate bad Taco Bell)

Motivation:

21076968686_d454e6b8da_b.jpg

20915159648_3bddc69329_b.jpg

19844068018_6db1be6b6b_b.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, tjclyde said:

I'd be down for a Saturday day ride. 

Tj. 

No s--t?? Thought you were out of the loop for a while. Awesome.

• Member Contributer

Brian, those are some of my favourite roads and, while I can't join the fun on your outing, I expect to ride them on my way to the WSB at Laguna Seca.

Interesting that you are riding them in that order. I prefer riding Monitor Pass eastbound and Sonora Pass westbound. Do you have a preference, or just switch directions depending on mood?

2 hours ago, Lorne said:

Brian, those are some of my favourite roads and, while I can't join the fun on your outing, I expect to ride them on my way to the WSB at Laguna Seca.

Interesting that you are riding them in that order. I prefer riding Monitor Pass eastbound and Sonora Pass westbound. Do you have a preference, or just switch directions depending on mood?

Hey Lorne, see ya at WSBK then! I'll be there both days, probably with some of the usual VFRD suspects.

I do prefer Sonora going westbound, but I also prefer Monitor going westbound so it's a no-win. Usually after Monitor going westbound I head to US50 and hookup with Ice House Rd, which leads to my favorite road of all (Wentworth Springs). 

• Member Contributer

First, I forgot to say I loved your photos. On Monitor Pass I love the ascent through the pine forest then breaking out on the flats heading for Leviathan Peak.

Off topic, I saw Donner Pass featured in an Acura ad and have added it to my list.

• Member Contributer

Great route.  I usually do Monitor back and forth so havent really thought about my favorite direction, both are good.   I rode it two weeks ago and there are some fresh tar snakes on the east slope, cant miss them! I will be be crossing the Sierra's Sat but on a dirt bike otherwise would join you.     

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, RC1237V said:

That's actually a pretty solid suggestion. I've never ridden it either - though I've driven out to Cherry Lake before. I'd be down for that.

Put me down as a"probably". Definitely wanna make it but my knee is swelling up like a water balloon right now. Haha. So I'll see how things are goin getting closer to the end of the week. 

15 hours ago, tc339 said:

Put me down as a"probably". Definitely wanna make it but my knee is swelling up like a water balloon right now. Haha. So I'll see how things are goin getting closer to the end of the week. 

Done. Free supply of NSAIDs on arrival!

Okay kiddies, looks like it's gonna be a hot one on Saturday. I'm going regardless, so here's the plan.

Meeting point is Starbucks in Manteca: 1451 Hulsey Way. KSU at 9am!

Final route is: https://goo.gl/maps/XW4eaucztWq

Plan is, as always, to have lunch at Mountain View BBQ in Coleville. Based on the route it might be a late lunch - bring some snacks.

If you're coming from the North Bay, we'll meet up somewhere for the trek to Manteca. Questions? Comments? Dissention?

• Member Contributer

May I propose you pick up South Bay Riders 8:15 at the Shell Gas - 809 E Stanley Blvd, Livermore, CA 94550

1 hour ago, ecn said:

May I propose you pick up South Bay Riders 8:15 at the Shell Gas - 809 E Stanley Blvd, Livermore, CA 94550

Not a bad idea per se, that's just not usually the way we go.

We'll see how things shape up attendance-wise -- makes more sense for North Bay guys to go through Fairfield if crazybro is in the fold. Will keep ya posted.

Ed I'll meet you at the Shell station. 

And remember to bring some cash guys,

just in case we run into another gas station that doesn't take atm or credit cards "Topaz Lake". 

Tj. 

33 minutes ago, tjclyde said:

Ed I'll meet you at the Shell station. 

And remember to bring some cash guys,

just in case we run into another gas station that doesn't take atm or credit cards "Topaz Lake". 

Tj. 

haha good plan. If you forget I'll have plenty of $1s from my "night job"

• Member Contributer

Rode through Sonora then to Murphy's yesterday. Went up Sheep Ranch Road to Railroad Flat Road, all the way to Highway 26. Back down to 49, through Sonora again, then South on LaGrange Road. I started following some other guys, and we were wicking it up a bit, and missed my turn off......ended up on 99, and went North to Main St in Turlock. Took a left and went to Patterson, then up Del Puerto Canyon to the backside of Mt Hamilton, where I lost my left foot peg, and had to limp home already tired and now grumpy. Weird shifting without a pivot point..............anyway nice ride 418 miles - left San JOse at 8:30 and got home around 6PM. The sierras were very mild in the low 80's, but it was 96 in the central valley.

Archived