Tires!

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, deltaboxii said:

Ron Haslam is awesome dont get me wrong, but I wouldn't go by what any of the pros or ex pros are using.  They and the school get their tires for free, so it comes down to who is willing to sponsor them- not what tire necessarily they like the most.

Was thinking more down down the line of they are used far harder on the track then they would be on the road. 

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I rode them years apart on different bikes, but I almost feel like I can say I have more confidence in my T30s than I did on BT016s, which were supposed to be aggressive street/track day tires.

• Member Contributer
On 6/15/2017 at 2:45 PM, deltaboxii said:

Threw a set of the Power RS on my Hawk GT (VFR rear wheel).  Ridiculous grip, super fast warm up and way better turn in than the PP3.  The PP3 is going to be phased out I am told in favor of the Power RS.  I would imagine mileage would be similar to the PP3.

Could you elaborate on the better turn-in vis-à-vis PP3? What I noticed was the RS seemed a little heavier & slower steering than I recall from any of my previous PP/PP2/PP2CT/PP3, or PR4 for that matter. Just enough to be noticeable.

Like you I am curious to see if the mileage claims from Michelin hold water. 

Lastly, have you ever seen a tire that more obviously shows it is dual compound?

That wasn't aimed directly at me, but since I share the opinion: 

The RS is a bit slower than the PP3, but it is far more linear. It gives that dial-a-lean feel. The PP3 has a more triangular profile which is great at initiating the turn, but IMO, gives the feeling that the bike is falling into the lean.  I almost feel like I have to counter steer away from the apex to keep the bike from leaning too far.   

It is a personal preference, but I like the more neutral and linear feeling, especially mid corner. 

I agree wirh your comment on the 2 compounds.

• Member Contributer
On 5/19/2016 at 5:46 AM, fink said:

Something definitely wrong with that then.   Even up in the highlands where the roads are very abrasive about 5k for a rear sports touring...  

No, there isn't something wrong with that.  Ride the Smoky Mountains where the poster rides and how he rides and 2000 miles and even less from a rear is actually to be expected.  I know from my own experience.  I got 1787 miles from a Metzler once on a BMW K bike but it had has some HP put to it.  5K from a rear ST tire in the Smoky's means the rider is just cruising.  Try it.   

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Bent said:

No, there isn't something wrong with that.  Ride the Smoky Mountains where the poster rides and how he rides and 2000 miles and even less from a rear is actually to be expected.  I know from my own experience.  I got 1787 miles from a Metzler once on a BMW K bike but it had has some HP put to it.  5K from a rear ST tire in the Smoky's means the rider is just cruising.  Try it.   

Good grief that post is over a year old Bent.  I may do indeed some day.  You should come and try the Highlands. 

• Member Contributer

Sorry to hear you're bent out of shape over nothing, LOL!!!!!.  I've been to Highlands.  

• Member Contributer
21 hours ago, Bent said:

Sorry to hear you're bent out of shape over nothing, LOL!!!!!.  I've been to Highlands.  

Not getting bent out of shape over anything. Lol.  Which part of the highlands did you experience? 

I have been having awesome luck consistantly out of (don't laugh) shinko's only dual compound tire.  

I've been on Michelin PP1,  and PP3, (6th gen) the shinko raven (on my old Suzuki GSX650F), verge (GSX), Apex (GSX), the factory dunlops on the 8th,  and now the shinko 2X (6th-8th)  and honestly,  I've a lot more confidence in the 016 Verge 2X.  

http://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/motorcycle-tires/shinko-016-verge-2x-motorcycle-tire
X001.jpg

It was truely great on my 6th gen.  Good enough I burned through 2 full sets after my PP3's vulcanized and turned to crap.  And they're again fantastic on my 8th gen.  
The ravens truely are junk,  the profiles are all wrong and the compound only has worthwhile grip when the sun isn't shining.  hot pavement and they're grease as soon as you push them.
The apex is a good profile and soft enough to rock and roll but they wear out real fast,  and the tread just isn't that good in the wet.
the verge has the right profile ala the apex but the compound is closer to the raven series and it falls on it's face when you push them just the same.
the verge 2X however,  is soft like the apex anywhere past a slab turn lean,  and wears quite a bit longer than apex ever could.

I think the biggest thing about the 2X on the street is even if they did give up the ghost,  which they honestly don't.  They're cheap enough that you could just slap some more rubber on the bike.  instead of running a tire that's turned to crap on you just because it's super expensive and it's not physically worn out.

That's my two cents on it,  though.

On 6/17/2017 at 5:12 AM, 01ragtop said:

That wasn't aimed directly at me, but since I share the opinion: 

The RS is a bit slower than the PP3, but it is far more linear. It gives that dial-a-lean feel. The PP3 has a more triangular profile which is great at initiating the turn, but IMO, gives the feeling that the bike is falling into the lean.  I almost feel like I have to counter steer away from the apex to keep the bike from leaning too far.   

It is a personal preference, but I like the more neutral and linear feeling, especially mid corner. 

I agree wirh your comment on the 2 compounds.

trying to keep up with acronyms , so RS is road smart as in dunlops ? I want that linear feel you speak of .

4 hours ago, rckrzy1 said:

trying to keep up with acronyms , so RS is road smart as in dunlops ? I want that linear feel you speak of .

In this case, the RS is the Michelin Power RS. 

Another linear tire is the Bridgestone S21. 

On 6/20/2017 at 8:53 PM, 01ragtop said:

In this case, the RS is the Michelin Power RS. 

Another linear tire is the Bridgestone S21. 

Those appear to be not sport touring ? I'm looking at the pirelli angel or GT I think. I found a source for the older angels for about $145 for the rear.

4 hours ago, rckrzy1 said:

Those appear to be not sport touring ? I'm looking at the pirelli angel or GT I think. I found a source for the older angels for about $145 for the rear.

Correct. Those are not sport touring tires. I haven't ran a sport touring tire in a long time, but I hear really good things about the Bridgestone  S21/T30 front/rear combo. Can't say for myself though. 

• Member Contributer

I'm going to put a set of Angel Gt's on today so I'll know about them fairly soon if it will ever stop raining.  I don't leave in the rain.  Bought the tires on a good sale a couple of months ago.

I've run the Angel GT.  They are a good tire, and if you ever do get stuck in the rain, you will be very happy with them.  The only issue I had was their life span, but I generally have that problem with every tire I try.  I only got 4000 miles out of my GTs.  But then again, I've never gotten more than 5500 from any sport touring tire.  I'm hoping for at least 5000 out of my current Dunlop Roadsmart 3's I just put on.

• Member Contributer

I am also running the Pirelli Angel GT tires this year. Very good tire. No problems.

I also can very much endorse the Michelin Pilot Road 2 tires.

I ran the Michelin Pilot Road 4 tire last year for about 800 miles. Very disappointed and frustrated with those. Terrible cupping on front and back. They got thrown away and I put the Pirellis on.

Ride safely.

• Member Contributer
3 minutes ago, fink said:

Nice to see someone else who gets the same kind of mileage I do. 

Me too

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, fink said:

So where are all the guys that can get 10K out of a tyre?

They haven't gotten here yet.  Takes a while when you're only going 40mph...;; ))

Driver Dave, I would be happy to get 5K miles out of a rear.  I've never gotten that yet.  If these P-Angel-Gt's don't work out, I'll probably just go back to the PR2's with a more sporty, sticky front.  These new dual compound tires are lasting longer but the ST types don't turn in very well.  The rear PR2 did OK but not the fronts for handling.  Boys and their toys....  

Hi,

Recently fitted the Metzler Roadtec 01 tyres.

Instantly felt like a new bike with softer suspension, and the grip on adverse roads such as loose chip seal is amazing in comparison to the OEM tyres.

Proof is my wife instantly noticed the difference on her VFR.....

• Member Contributer
On ‎24‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 8:59 AM, fink said:

So where are all the guys that can get 10K out of a tyre?

Here !  Me Sir, I can get 10K from a tyre !

Archived