Tires!

• Member Contributer
On 7/3/2017 at 1:48 PM, Rectaltronics said:

I'm wondering one thing...  when folks say their tires are done, does that mean they're squared off too much, scalloped, or the tread depth has reached inspection failure?

I replace mine when the center gets down to the wear bars and or they are heat cycled out from track days. I live in a flat valley, so I put a lot of straight up miles on it going somewhere interesting, squared off tires happen and squared off is not a good high performance profile. 

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just replaced my Pirelli/Bridgestone combo with a pair of Metzeler Roadtec 01s. In a rare twist of fate, it completely failed to rain/sleet/snow/ice over at any point in the first 48 hours of ownership and I actually managed to scrub them in dry! :cheerleader:

Have to say, they really suit the VFR. They speed up the rate of turn beautifully and feel very confident when leant over. Also the most expensive tyres I've ever bought but hey ho, can't have everything!

• Member Contributer
28 minutes ago, Katie said:

. In a rare twist of fate, it completely failed to rain/sleet/snow/ice over at any point in the first 48 hours of ownership and I actually managed to scrub them in dry! :cheerleader:

You should go out today then!

4 minutes ago, Skids said:

You should go out today then!

70 miles so far today (Oxford to Epsom every day!) and it stayed dry :smile: Mind you, I had full waterproofs on 'cos I thought it was gonna tip down. Not quite so hopeful for the return journey...

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Katie said:

70 miles so far today (Oxford to Epsom every day!) and it stayed dry :smile: Mind you, I had full waterproofs on 'cos I thought it was gonna tip down. Not quite so hopeful for the return journey...

Me too. Looks like some torrential downpours heading your & my way.

1 hour ago, Skids said:

Yeah. Can't say I'm looking forward to it (something about the lighting flashes on the weather report gives me the fear!) but at least I'll be able to report on the wet weather grip!

• Member Contributer
On ‎11‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 0:08 PM, Skids said:

Yeah, 'Mildly Moist' by the time I got home. But head, hands and feet are dry so I can put up with the other bits being wet. Annoyed my Local Landlord by dripping all over his bar floor as I watched the tennis !

First real test of the PR4's in serious wet. I can't say I notice any difference to the PR3's but I'm not such an aggressive rider anyway so probably won't make a lot of difference to me.

• Member Contributer

I just finished two days at Ridge Motorsports Park on new Q3s. They're great tires. Better on the track than the Pilot Power 2ct, they don't overheat as quickly. They have a bit more lean angle available than the PPs or the Avons.

• 3 weeks later...

Michelin Power RS report

~1900 miles: left edge is gone, right still has roughly 200 miles left, center has a ton of miles left. I guess I favor left handers. I don't commute, but I did do a 700 mile road trip with about 130 miles of highway. The rest of the miles are on SoCal mountain roads. 

These tires are temp and pressure sensitive. By that I mean if they get hot, they will get greasy. I had the rear set too low on a 90 degree Fahrenheit day and they squirm at lean under acceleration. 

That's the bad. Now the good: most confidence inspiring tire I've ever used. Mileage isn't as good, but for performance, these are better than S21, PP3, and for the street, even better than the vaunted Pirelli Supercorsa. Ok, that is bold. Let me explain. The RS gets up to operating temp much faster than the Supercorsa on the street. In fact, I always feel like i really have to push the Supercorsa before it comes up to temp, and those first couple of miles after a break are always a little adventure. Not so with the RS. 

Great tire for someone that commutes, but also likes to ride the canyons hard. If you only ride the canyons, you'll leave a lot of life in the center of the tire. 

The pic was taken at 1700 miles. 

20170722_163131.jpg

20170722_163037.jpg

I just ordered some pirelli angel gt's from Jake Wilson , best price I could find, $276 delivered for both. I just wish I had an installer for cheaper since cycle gear will charge $50 each to install since I bought elsewhere but CG prices where $209 for rear and $159 for front and then add $30 sales tax makes a $122 savings minus the extra $25 each to install at CG still saves me over $70 buying from Jake Wilson.

I liked the reviews of the angel gt and the tread pattern is cool and never had dual compound rears so hopefully that will pay off, could have gotten the st's for about $40 less but if the rear last 15-20% longer then it will pay for the diff.

My factory dunlops at 3K have about 1/32 before I hit the wear out bar at mid tire or were the normal turning lean is at and kinda squared off from the 2K mile of HOT TX highways to get to the Rockies at 75-85mph, front still looks ok but I want to get my angled valve stems in so I can check pressure without having to contort my air hose in the wheel.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, rckrzy1 said:

I just ordered some pirelli angel gt's from Jake Wilson , best price I could find, $276 delivered for both. I just wish I had an installer for cheaper since cycle gear will charge $50 each to install since I bought elsewhere but CG prices where $209 for rear and $159 for front and then add $30 sales tax makes a $122 savings minus the extra $25 each to install at CG still saves me over $70 buying from Jake Wilson.

I liked the reviews of the angel gt and the tread pattern is cool and never had dual compound rears so hopefully that will pay off, could have gotten the st's for about $40 less but if the rear last 15-20% longer then it will pay for the diff.

My factory dunlops at 3K have about 1/32 before I hit the wear out bar at mid tire or were the normal turning lean is at and kinda squared off from the 2K mile of HOT TX highways to get to the Rockies at 75-85mph, front still looks ok but I want to get my angled valve stems in so I can check pressure without having to contort my air hose in the wheel.

With a few exceptions, I don't even know why CG bothers to sell tires.  That said, and the exception, the tires on my VFR now are Angel GT's CG had on sale a few months ago for $220 for the set!!  I jumped on that and paid my local independent and good cycle shop $25 to mount and balance each tire.  About once a year CG will have a decent sale.  Otherwise, it's JW.  $276 for those tires isn't bad.  I haven't used mine long enough to know if I'll like them yet.  Rotator cuff tear right after mounting them......; (

Pictures to come soon.

I have always used Bridgestone 020's on my VFR 750 FV. The bike has been off the road for a few years after some blind idiot took me out, now the bike is sorted (although a bit flat down one side) I fancy a change of tyres. What's good in the tyre hood?

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, GRB said:

Pictures to come soon.

I have always used Bridgestone 020's on my VFR 750 FV. The bike has been off the road for a few years after some blind idiot took me out, now the bike is sorted (although a bit flat down one side) I fancy a change of tyres. What's good in the tyre hood?

Would suggest reading from first post and make up your own mind. :biggrin:

Metzeler Sportec M7 RR. A sporty road tyre that I've used on a cbr 600f, blade and now a vfr. Been around since 2014 so not a new tyre but cannot praise this tyres enough. Excellent stability over white lines, manhole covers etc and excellent on its side. Makes the vfr turn in more smooth and predictable. Confidence inspiring feels like you can really depend on the front. Great grip mid corner encourages big lean and early throttle. Great grip from cold. You trust them implicitly. On the exit hooks up and fooks off. Finds traction over bumps and never had any TC intervention. If you want improve the grip and turn in of your vfr buy the M7 RR. On the blade rear lasted about 4000 miles and front about 5500 miles. Should think the vfr should last somewhat longer. Don't ride through the winter but copes well in the rain and damp conditions. 

Ps Micheal Rutter took a road legal GSX-R around the TT course and averaged 122mph for one lap on these tyres. The owner took the bike home the next day on the ferry and a 200 mile trip home. Unofficial lap record for the fastest road bike round the Isle. Micheal Rutter on his superstock S1000RR with race tyres he averaged 125.3 mph. 

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 4:22 PM, RC79Scott said:

I'm only at about 3500 miles on my stock Dunlops, but on the rear I notice the indicators near the center are getting very close...  The edges are great.  The front is wearing more in the center, too, but still looks great even there.  Living in an area with plenty of twisty roads I did not expect the center of the tire to wear that quickly, but I guess I do too much straight-line riding anyway.  Shrug.  This is my first sporty bike, so maybe I am just having a rude awakening.  A few questions:

1)  Could this have been an inflation issue?  I check the pressure basically every time I ride, and kept the rear on 42 as directed.  I wonder if that was too much...

2)  Or do these tires just wear that quickly?  Reading through previous posts it doesn't seem uncommon at all, but then I'll see someone say they got 8k out of theirs.

3)  Given that I am not an aggressive sport rider and that I apparently am doing too much straight-line, then what tire would be a good one that would be more touring than sport?  Seems like everyone talks about good sport and/or rain performance, but not so much touring.  I only ride in the rain if I get caught out, and my internal sport rider is apparently less Rossi, and more Pussy, than I imagined.  I guess I need "touring sport" tires rather than "sport touring".

My riding style, to the T.  My idea of sporty corner carving is maybe 6/10 for a very skilled, aggressive rider, and my tire needs are exactly yours.  So you're not alone.  

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, fatshoutybloke said:

Dunlop Roadsmart 3. Pretty good so far, they coped with this morning's commute in light drizzly rain and greasy roads without a twitch.

Sounds good. I did have a one on the VFR but it was cross-matched with PR4 so not brilliant. My only issue is that Dunlop leave them so hairy! Those little buggers keep the edges dead slippery until you can wear them off which is not easy when it's raining constantly (as it was when I had them on)...

I got a pair of Avon Storm 3DXM on my VFR today at suggestion of the guy at M/C Tireworks in North Hills.

I said it has Pilot Road 4's now and I'd like something less pricey.

It is a high performance plus extended mileage tire, it claims.

Includes a road hazard warranty, if it gets punctured in the first 1 mm of tread life you get a new tire free.

But not free install. Also warrantied to last 15,000 miles, pro rated.

Don't think I have ever got anywhere close to that with any MC tire.

Went out on my usual 100 mile loop, and they worked fine, handled nicely.

Of course this is the new tires are slippery ride, and I just cruised.

Also this was coming off a set of worn out tires, rear kind of squared off.

Not much of a tire test.

And before you ask a silly question Ding Dong, no I did not get any free makeup. :tongue:

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, VFR4Lee said:

I got a pair of Avon Storm 3DXM on my VFR today at suggestion of the guy at M/C Tireworks in North Hills.

I said it has Pilot Road 4's now and I'd like something less pricey.

It is a high performance plus extended mileage tire, it claims.

Includes a road hazard warranty, if it gets punctured in the first 1 mm of tread life you get a new tire free.

But not free install. Also warrantied to last 15,000 miles, pro rated.

Don't think I have ever got anywhere close to that with any MC tire.

Went out on my usual 100 mile loop, and they worked fine, handled nicely.

Of course this is the new tires are slippery ride, and I just cruised.

Also this was coming off a set of worn out tires, rear kind of squared off.

Not much of a tire test.

And before you ask a silly question Ding Dong, no I did not get any free makeup. :tongue:

FWIW, I used to run a lot of Avon Storms before dual compound tires came along and they were and still are very good tires for hard running or just running IMO.  Also, as implied, they were awesome in the rain.  They're a very predictable tire.  Kind of surprised more people don't use them as in the past.    

Their info says they are an English company with a factory in Ohio. Don't seem to have much name recognition here.

Another 150 miles today. Nice handling tires, bike almost feels light when it's moving with any speed.

Archived