Tires!

• Member Contributer
28 minutes ago, Woodie said:

Here !  Me Sir, I can get 10K from a tyre !

And the make is ....?

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Woodie said:

Here !  Me Sir, I can get 10K from a tyre !

Go on then tell us all how you do it.   

• Member Contributer
So where are all the guys that can get 10K out of a tyre?

That would be me. Currently on the Roadsmart II with the rear at 16,000 km and the front at 13,000. Last RS II front lasted about 13 as well (the rear was replaced under warranty at 10,000 km). Before that, I changed a set of T30 at 15,000 km with a few thousand left. Before that, I ran BT-023 for about 16,000 km.

• Member Contributer

I've gotten 10k plus miles on several sets of Michelin PP3 fronts and PR2/4 rears. I run this setup on my 6 Gen "commuter" which also doubles as my tourer. I do sometimes take it out for spirited rides, but those are usually less as my 5 Gen and Ducati typically perform that duty. That being said, the routes I take that are not freeways are usually twisty mountain roads in the local mountains or the Sierra's.

As for the 5 Gen, with a set of Michelin PP3s (front/rear), mileage is usually half @ 5-6k. Again, this is doing more spirited rides and maybe a track day thrown in. Similarly, the roads I take are usually twisty roads of Malibu, Angeles Crest Highway, Paloma Mountain, etc.

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, Thumbs said:

And the make is ....?

Pilot Road 3's. Prefer them as an all weather High Mileage biker. the 4's are a bit grippier but wear sooner. (I only get 8k out of them)

12 hours ago, fink said:

I'm a bike commuter so I don't tend to rip them up in the twisties. It's hard to get up to warp speed driving through traffic in Basingstoke. :goofy: The worst I do is square them off with Motorway miles, lucky 75% of the route is country roads.  

• Member Contributer
On 6/28/2017 at 2:04 PM, fink said:

I don't think this can truly be answered as there are so many variables involved but I would say it's akin to how some MotoGP riders can make their tires last the whole race often taking the top place on the podium, while others suffer with tire degradation and barely finish a race. Johan Zarco was a master at tire management in Moto2, I think he's still on a learning curve with the MotoGP bike though.

I'm pretty sure if you don't romp on the throttle all the time, rear tires will last longer.

Falls under the category of easier said than done. :wink:

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, VFR4Lee said:

I'm pretty sure if you don't romp on the throttle all the time, rear tires will last longer.

Falls under the category of easier said than done. :wink:

For sure.  Engine braking a lot doesn't help tire life either.  I use the "sport" part of the bike more than the "touring" part of it so I'm Ok with buying more tires.  When the VFR quits bringing enjoyment, out it goes.  

We don't all live in the mountains. I didn't change my OE tires until 10.2k. I'm not light on the throttle, I'm not cornering leisurely, but I couldn't wear a rear down in 5k without several burnouts. Long, straight highways on the commute with a rare chance for some light curves on an occasional weekend.

• Member Contributer
On 29/06/2017 at 8:50 PM, Rectaltronics said:

Choosing a tire that's designed to last 10K or more is always a good start.

Any chance of a few examples? :491:

• Member Contributer

BT-023 is touted as a long(er) life sport tourer. Roadtec 01 also has made some claims to that effect. Avon is also known for their long living ST tires and the new Spirit ST makes that claim.

• Member Contributer

My BT 23's are about gone, 8k miles, even wear front and back, good tyres, better than the Dunlops it came with

• Member Contributer

Over the last couple of years on my 5th gen, I have worn out rear tyres as follows;-

Michelin Pilot Pure 3000 miles

Michelin Pilot Power Pure 3500 miles

Bridgestone BT23 GT 5500 miles still got a 1000 miles left in it. GT because it was on a special offer, when I needed a tyre for a Euro tour. This has done a track day too ;)

I don't know how anyone can get 10k miles out of a rear tyre & claim they twist the right wrist !!!!

I guess YMMV has never been truer !

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, Dustin said:

BT-023 is touted as a long(er) life sport tourer. Roadtec 01 also has made some claims to that effect. Avon is also known for their long living ST tires and the new Spirit ST makes that claim.

Have used Bt023 and Avons.  Deffo nowhere near 10k . :491:

• Member Contributer
On 7/1/2017 at 4:14 PM, fink said:

Sounds like a lot of folks posted examples, before and after my crack at ya'.

Some differences in experienced mileages are inevitable due to variations in local road compositions, temperatures, riding habits, etc., even suspension setup.

I don't think it should be a huge shock to anyone who has been riding or driving performance vehicles for even a small while that tires sold for "competition" or "super sport" use are not going to have nearly the longevity of tires sold for "sport touring" or "touring".

Just for reference, I will give you the quick rundown on all my tires over the last 7 years and 55k miles on a 6th gen and 8th gen:

(these are all full-on sport touring tires designed for a very sporty long life) 

Michelin Pilot Road 2, PR 3, and PR4.

Dunlop Roadsmart, RS2, and RS3. (twice ran the RS and RS2, currently on the RS3) 

Pirelli Angel St and GT. 

Bridgestone T30 EVO. 

(no 'b spec' or heavyweight versions ever used) 

Always ran matched sets in stock sizes at 2-4 below recommended PSI.

Most tires replaced at about halfway down through the wearbars. Never showed cords or squared off profile. 

It would seem that I've grown to prefer the Dunlop RS over everything else, and will stick with them for the foreseeable future.

The Pilot Road line has generally gotten worse with each new version.  

Best mileage was the PR2, PR3, and all RS, with 5k to 6k miles...worst mileage was the T30 EVO at only 3k.

They all handle great when new, with the PR4 falling off first, at less than 2k miles in, and the RS line being the most consistent to the end.

The only other model I'd be interested in trying is the Metzeler Roadtec 01.

All of my riding is in the mountains of Colorado on sunny days, at a very spirited pace, simply for the sheer joy of it. If I pushed any harder than my usual pace, I would probably want to switch over to full supersport tires for safety reasons. As efficient as I have become at pulling my wheels off and taking them down to the local shop to get some new tires slapped on,  I would rather not do it any more than I have to! 

BTW, I'm now 850 miles into my first set of RS3, and I couldn't be happier. Really hammered the last 2 rides, feeling planted and confident the whole time. 

• Member Contributer

I'm wondering one thing...  when folks say their tires are done, does that mean they're squared off too much, scalloped, or the tread depth has reached inspection failure?

• Member Contributer

The rear I replace when my side wear bars are reached, centre is usually still ok.

The front I replace when they start to feel bad. 

• Member Contributer
9 minutes ago, Rectaltronics said:

I'm wondering one thing...  when folks say their tires are done, does that mean they're squared off too much, scalloped, or the tread depth has reached inspection failure?

In my case it usually means up to the wear markers and/or where they start to have less grip. This is usually with the Michelin tires, when they get to wear marks they start to get "greasy" feeling. With the PP3s, this was a lot more noticeable as they got pushed a lot more than the PR2/4s that I run on the commuter. I have never gotten to the point of showing the belts though, as I've seen some riders do. Although I have squared a couple of sets with my commuter, which is why I like to throw in a few "spirited" rides every now and then. It helps round off those square edges, if not minimize getting them in the first place.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, DonutDude said:

Get the Bridgestone BT021. A sporty, long life, grippy tire. 

The BT021 is out of production.  Superseded by the BT022, then BT023 and now the T30 though the BT023 remains available.

I've gotten as much as 15K out of a BT02x -series rear on my 4th gen VFRs.

• Member Contributer
21 hours ago, Rectaltronics said:

Sounds like a lot of folks posted examples, before and after my crack at ya'.

Some differences in experienced mileages are inevitable due to variations in local road compositions, temperatures, riding habits, etc., even suspension setup.

I don't think it should be a huge shock to anyone who has been riding or driving performance vehicles for even a small while that tires sold for "competition" or "super sport" use are not going to have nearly the longevity of tires sold for "sport touring" or "touring".

Haven't seen many examples of a 10K plus tyre  that you quoted. So far only one person has said and described how he managed it.

Like you say most folk that fit soft rubber will be lucky to see half the mileage of an ST tyre as well as all the other variables.  Sadly will never get anywhere near that as my roads are pretty abrasive and most of the time is spent above 30mph. 

Generally replace mine when they get down to the legal 1mm tread, one for license preservation and secondly not really wishing a puncture in the middle of nowhere, on worn out tyres on my 48mile e/w commute with the nearest stockist over 100 miles away, who is not likely to stock what I want. So I must rely on the internet.

Archived