Tires!

On 5/17/2016 at 7:22 PM, RC79Scott said:

I'm only at about 3500 miles on my stock Dunlops, but on the rear I notice the indicators near the center are getting very close...  The edges are great.  The front is wearing more in the center, too, but still looks great even there.  Living in an area with plenty of twisty roads I did not expect the center of the tire to wear that quickly, but I guess I do too much straight-line riding anyway.  Shrug.  This is my first sporty bike, so maybe I am just having a rude awakening.  A few questions:

1)  Could this have been an inflation issue?  I check the pressure basically every time I ride, and kept the rear on 42 as directed.  I wonder if that was too much...

2)  Or do these tires just wear that quickly?  Reading through previous posts it doesn't seem uncommon at all, but then I'll see someone say they got 8k out of theirs.

3)  Given that I am not an aggressive sport rider and that I apparently am doing too much straight-line, then what tire would be a good one that would be more touring than sport?  Seems like everyone talks about good sport and/or rain performance, but not so much touring.  I only ride in the rain if I get caught out, and my internal sport rider is apparently less Rossi, and more Pussy, than I imagined.  I guess I need "touring sport" tires rather than "sport touring".

By pie314

You are not dreaming.they do wear fast. 5500 miles and I'm going to pilot power 3 sets. I had the stock pilot powers on my vs 1000th.  Front went well at 12500 and rear I had less. But 12500 they got me cross country and then some.not. fan of Bridgestone. Pilot powers all the way! Great on all weather too.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

If you're getting 1250 from PP3's, you should go for a touring tyre.

I really liked the PP3's, but only got 10000km from the front and sides were worn smooth, and 8000km from the rear which was very evenly worn.

I don't commute, mostly weekend fun.

On Rosso III's at the moment, and like them even more, makes the bike feel lighter.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure if it's been covered or not but on the pirelli angel gt do we get the A spec or regular ? They mention the fjr1300 as needing the A spec but that bike is almost 600 pounds , so not sure were the vfr falls , heavy or standard ?  

14 hours ago, DriverDave said:

Standard is fine unless you spend most of your time riding 2up.  And the FJR is about 100 lbs more than the VFR. 

Nope , the wife rarely rides with me. I figured the A spec would harshen the ride. 

• Member Contributer

Agreed kebrider-have always used Dunlops, the last Q 2's. Never got more than 3,000 miles on a front and 2,500 on a rear but oh, what grip! At the recommendation of the guys at American Motorsports I am riding on a Pilot Road 4, as my rears were getting down to the fibers only in the center s way before the sides. Live in Nashville and have very abrasive roads around here.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I managed just over 5,000 before my original Dunlop tyres before the were hanging ....the Bridgestone B23's I replaced them with are now 8,000 miles with enough left to make 10,000 and the grip is excellent 

• Member Contributer
On 6/13/2017 at 9:34 AM, Thumbs said:

I managed just over 5,000 before my original Dunlop tyres before the were hanging ....the Bridgestone B23's I replaced them with are now 8,000 miles with enough left to make 10,000 and the grip is excellent 

I get good mileage and great grip from BT023's but have had to quit them.  My gosh they, like all Bridgestones I've used, beat me up so bad they aren't worth it any more for me.  They're the hardest riding tire I've ever used.  

What pressures were you running? I had S21 bstones on my VFR, and loved them. I ran 34f/36R, and I'm heavier than the average guy. Can't say how they were in terms of longevity, they were wearing well when the bike was stolen. 

I have the new Michelin Power RS on the Daytona. Loads of grip, more neutral than the old PP3, and warm up quickly, but mileage may be an issue, I'll see. Plus I want to find out if they go off at the wear bars like the PP3 did. 

• Member Contributer
17 minutes ago, 01ragtop said:

What pressures were you running? I had S21 bstones on my VFR, and loved them. I ran 34f/36R, and I'm heavier than the average guy. Can't say how they were in terms of longevity, they were wearing well when the bike was stolen. 

I have the new Michelin Power RS on the Daytona. Loads of grip, more neutral than the old PP3, and warm up quickly, but mileage may be an issue, I'll see. Plus I want to find out if they go off at the wear bars like the PP3 did. 

I just bought a set of the Power RS' to try out but haven't had a chance to get them on the road just yet. I might toss the wheels they're on on the 09 and give them a run...

• Member Contributer
33 minutes ago, 01ragtop said:

Threw a set of the Power RS on my Hawk GT (VFR rear wheel).  Ridiculous grip, super fast warm up and way better turn in than the PP3.  The PP3 is going to be phased out I am told in favor of the Power RS.  I would imagine mileage would be similar to the PP3.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, 01ragtop said:

I run Honda recommended 36 and 42.  I'm not a racer boy type, but do love hitting the Smoky's rather aggressively at times.  For me, I really don't want to "need" any more than a good "sport touring" tire.  They have such great capabilities, and have had for a long time that I really don't want to ride in such a way on public roads that I truly need a softer compound tire.  A good rider is capable of being quite the "menace to society" on sport touring tires on a VFR......; )   Just another opinion...

No doubt a good rider on a VFR with sport touring tires can certainly leave an impression. I'm not good enough to be comfortable with all the sliding. Especially the front. 

When I first switched from sport touring to hypersport tires, I was blown away by how much better they grip. I like the mileage of the ST tire, but love the handling of a sport tire more.

Bottom line,there is no right or wrong here. It's how you ride.  If I lived in a straight flat area, I wouldn't waste my money on hypersport tires, but in SoCal wearing out the center before the edges is almost a crime. 

• Member Contributer

For what its worth  Ron Haslam uses T30 evos  on all the bikes at his track day school.  So if its good enough for him then its good enough for me.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, fink said:

For what its worth  Ron Haslam uses T30 evos  on all the bikes at his track day school.  So if its good enough for him then its good enough for me.

Ron Haslam is awesome dont get me wrong, but I wouldn't go by what any of the pros or ex pros are using.  They and the school get their tires for free, so it comes down to who is willing to sponsor them- not what tire necessarily they like the most.

Not wishing to derail, but it seems like the appropriate thread for my question. 

I have some strange centre tyre wear appearing over the last few weeks. Should I be concerned about it? Does anyone know what is causing it?

It's the stock tyre, Sportmax D222, and it has just about 7k miles on it (Most of them motorway commuting miles)

It's the stock tyre, Sportmax D222, and it has just about 7k miles on it (Most of them motorway commuting miles)

That tire is gone... Known as peeling when the outer layer of rubber got hardened and it peels...
What fabrication date is that tire?

1 hour ago, vegaquark said:

That tire is gone... Known as peeling when the outer layer of rubber got hardened and it peels...
What fabrication date is that tire?

I think its 4014. 

Looking at the BT023 to replace. Only had bike since November 2016, so a little upset that my rubber has gone so quickly :(

8 minutes ago, Shwat said:

I think its 4014. 

Looking at the BT023 to replace. Only had bike since November 2016, so a little upset that my rubber has gone so quickly :(

Maybe you can try to sand it and get rid of that hardened layer... If you want to save some money... But that peeling is a sign of bad careship of the tires (sleeping on the rain and not used in a while)

• Member Contributer
32 minutes ago, Shwat said:

Gets used nearly every day! 7k miles in 6 months.

Theres your answer ...7,000 miles + Dunlop tires = worn out

The carcassing is showing through, if the police see that you're guilty of using a vehicle in an unroadworthy condition .. Insurance companies hate that and you'll pay for it, big time

You're upset about getting 7k miles from a single compound tire?  I only got 3k miles out of my OEM 222s!  You should try the Roadsmart 2 or new Roadsmart 3.  Both are dual compound and should fair much better with all of your commuting.  (the RS2 is basically the same tire as the D222, but with dual compound)

My last set was the Bridgestone T30 EVO and their life sucked...only about 3500 miles.  I typically only get 5k-6k out of a dual compound ST tire. (I'm a serious canyon carver, so I always wear out the sides before the middle).

I've run the RS2 twice and now have the RS3 mounted.  I have no plans to ever try Bridgestone again.

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Shwat said:

Not wishing to derail, but it seems like the appropriate thread for my question. 

I have some strange centre tyre wear appearing over the last few weeks. Should I be concerned about it? Does anyone know what is causing it?

The tyre is worn out. Time to replace

Archived