First time to Big Sur and Carmel

Doc4216

• Member Contributer

So I had planned to take a trip up the north part of PCH next weekend but due to it forecasted to rain all day Saturday, we are now heading south to Monterey. Not that big of a deal as I have wanted to see that area and continue to be questioned by my Uncle about when I'm going to Big Sur. Since it is only  5 days away, I have not researched as much as I would like so I am asking for any suggestions of what not to miss. I know we are definitely going to the aquarium but other than that, we are open. 

Please tell me what food stops and roads that are a must do!

Fish and chips in Lucia are amazing. McWay Falls is a must.

Nacimiento Fergusson road is brilliant, but a little goaty. 17 mile drive doesn't allow motorbikes.

Make sure you stop a lot - take photos, look around. It's not a huge area, and rewards exploring. Have fun.

• Member Contributer

There are others but Carmel Valley and Nacimiento-Fergusson Roads belong on the list.

Carmel Valley Road from the coast to 101 (near Greenville) , head south to Jolon Rd turnoff and take Nacimiento-Fergusson back the coast.  You turn off Jolon Rd  at Mission and go through the Hunter Liggett Army base.

Here's some maps of possible routes:

Phoenix and Nepenthe restaurant and gift shop on the ocean side of PCH south of Carmel.

Awesome view, weather allowing.

Gift shop is unique, I can always find something cool for the wife.

Eats are probably on the expensive side, but you can enjoy the view w/o buying anything.  :beer:

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, BrianF said:

Fish and chips in Lucia are amazing. McWay Falls is a must.

Nacimiento Fergusson road is brilliant, but a little goaty. 17 mile drive doesn't allow motorbikes.

Make sure you stop a lot - take photos, look around. It's not a huge area, and rewards exploring. Have fun.

You are the second person that has suggested Lucia. I am a huge fan of fish and chips to begin with, let alone with recommendations!

• Member Contributer

@Doc4216

I'll tell you what you will want to miss: The gas station. The sole gas station in Big Sur sells 87 octane for $7/gallon. So that you don't think you misread that, I'll spell it out: SEVEN DOLLARS PER GALLON.

Disclaimer: At least that's what it was 6-7 months ago.

• Member Contributer
@Doc4216

I'll tell you what you will want to miss: The gas station. The sole gas station in Big Sur sells 87 octane for $7/gallon. So that you don't think you misread that, I'll spell it out: SEVEN DOLLARS PER GALLON.

Disclaimer: At least that's what it was 6-7 months ago.

Good to know!! I definitely will miss that!

• Member Contributer

And don't forget, if it's summer, prepare to be ccccccoooooolllllldddddd along the coast.  And also don't forget that Highway 1 is a very long, not very fast road with lots of double yellows (not sure about enforcement, though).  And there will be lots of tourists driving very slowly...  But, it is also very beautiful, so you'll definitely want to ride it once.  (Probably not twice!)

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Bubba Gump in Monterey is a must.  Get a margarita and you keep the plastic.

The ride from Monterey/Carmel to Big Sur is fantastic.  Watch the cliffs and decreasing radius corners. 

• Member Contributer
  • Member Contributer

The good thing is that we are not in a hurry so taking our time down the coast and making as many stops as we want is one of the things we are looking forward too.

Thanks for the suggestions and input!

One of the most spectacular places on the West Coast.  How is this your first trip being that you live in the Bay Area?  Depending on how far south you make it, there is a moto museum in Solvang that is pretty cool.  Also a gas pump museum.  Have fun!

IMG_0918.jpg

IMG_8737.jpg

It's easier to use the scenic ocean view turnouts if heading south.

It's all right turns getting in and out, no left turns across traffic.

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, ridered said:

One of the most spectacular places on the West Coast.  How is this your first trip being that you live in the Bay Area?  Depending on how far south you make it, there is a moto museum in Solvang that is pretty cool.  Also a gas pump museum.  Have fun!

I have done a bunch of day trips but not a lot, well any, weekend trips. Work and travel have limited my weekends quite a bit in the last 20 months. 

Great trip. I did a ride for the whole length of highway 101. Did a side trip on highway 1 through Big Sur and Carmel. Beautiful area. Congrats on making it there. Should be on everyone's ride list.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Another good ride in SoCal is Mulholland Hwy. through the Santa Monica mountains. I started in Los Angeles (near Calabasas, I think) and ended in the Malibu / Pacific Palisades area. After having been on it, I remember thinking how cool it was and wondered why I never heard anybody here talk about it.

I remember I kept singing this song to myself over and over again. His voice reminds me a lot of Elton John's:

And incidentally, he does ride a motorcycle:

Archived