Was stranded - now intermittent starting, where to trace?

WalkThisWhey

My bike left me stranded, 2004 with 22K on it.  Was riding, shut if off to get gas, then turned the key on and the dash never appeared - clock was still there so I know there's battery power.

Towed it home, went to start it several hours later, and was messing around and it started!  Then it wouldn't restart.

Here are the details

- I have the VFRness

- battery is in good shape, 12.86volts off.

- when the bike is off, 12.86 volts flow to the two 20 amp VFRness fuses (measured by removing the fuses)

- both fuses had some burning look to them (attached)

--- replaced the fuses and it still did not turn on for a while - started after that off chance try, but would not turn back on.

I did have a change while riding today in that my phone was hooked up to the batter with this battery tender attachment, but since I see voltage at the battery I'm not sure it toasted it.

I am thinking it is a faulty connection, but I am not sure where to start looking.  Are there common failure points I should be aware of?

burnt1.jpg

burnt2.jpg

burnt3.jpg

• Member Contributer

All I can offer is that if the fuse is crispy, then the connector would be as well.  I would use some contact cleaner or Oxgard - even some WD40  and get it in to the fuse holder.  I'd also pull the body panels and go through the connectors - 3 yellow wire connector to the R/R, grounds, pretty much everything.  I do an annual inspection and treat connectors as preventive maintenance.   I would also have the battery load tested as a voltage reading alone is not sufficient for a healthy battery.  Chasing electrical gremlins is a process of elimination.  

Hi folks, I found the problem so wanted to give an update.  Turns out it was a burnt connector that plugs into the actual ignition cylinder.  One of the connectors was bad but the others were good. So, I just cut the bad connector and  hardwired them together with solder and shrink wrap.  A quick overview of other connectors showed nothing else was bad, so hopefully this is good.

Now to take care of that 30A fuse that is starting to get a bit crispy....

IMG_2382.JPGIMG_2373.JPGIMG_2375.JPGIMG_2371.JPGIMG_2372.JPG

IMG_2379.JPG

IMG_2382.JPG

Archived