Fork rebuilding with new valves and springs & Shock replacement

jimbob

• Member Contributer

Hey Rob.

I bet if you let it sit for a day and get a pal to help you jack the swing arm up and down a bit you will get it in...  I was able to thread the remote reservoir up through first and then get the rest of the shock body in there.. then the longish tread section on top seems too long,..... i thought about cutting a quarter inch off it to make it easier, but was afraid of that permanent change.. ha ha.. as it turned out it would have been fine... at least the way it all fit up on my 6th gen..   And as i recall, i think the access to to tighten the top nut is under the tank, under the rubber flapper thing..  Just take your time it will work..

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 5/13/2017 at 6:44 PM, RobF said:

shock.jpg.1e62c13c3deea7ba411f06c6ecba2cfb.jpgswingarm.jpg.56b9cb98841a7844c03f72d53383c509.jpg

I'm doing the Daughter suspension upgrade, same as jimbob and many others. The guidance here in this thread and a couple others has been invaluable. Still, I cannot get the new shock back in following jimbob's outline of the steps. The process for dropping the old shock out via jacking up the swingarm works like a champ. But the remote reservoir on the new shock spoils any easy reversibility.

Since it's not possible (as far as I know) to torque down the top bolt bracket (B) once the shock is in place. It needs to be torqued on the bench, then installed. This means that the top bolt, the remote reservoir (A) and the reservoir's protruding junction (C) all need to get jammed back into a channel not designed to accommodate all of them. Plus, the reservoir needs to be threaded out over the chain guard so that it can be mounted to the subframe (D). But when we have the swingarm jacked up all the way, the clearance (E) is nowhere near sufficient. So, it's necessary to jam everything in with the swingarm up, then try to lower the swingarm so the reservoir can be threaded out over the chainguard. But the swingarm doesn't want to lower now that there's a wad of shock stuffed halfway in.

I'm wondering if anybody else has been able to replicate jimbob's success with this approach and if they have any additional guidance. Otherwise I'm going to need to accept rhoderage's words of discouragement here:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/81496-daugherty-front-and-rear-suspension-install

...when he warned:

"You WILL need to take off the exhaust and undertail tray. Get over it."

Did you get it done?? How is it working???

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, jimbob said:

Did you get it done?? How is it working???

You are kind to inquire. The project is currently stalled. I hassled with it for a couple hours but simply was not able to replicate your success at threading the needle. I'm pretty much committed to removing the exhaust at this point. Waiting for a spare weekend in order to take another swing.

• Member Contributer

Rob, I'm with you brother.  This is precisely what would happen to me.  Stay the course and make your ride what you want it to be.  I really want to do this setup and it just sounds aces.  

Dave. 

Archived