Help: VFR Luggage Attachment Without Handles

thewhiterider

tl;dr - want hard luggage on, no grab handles.  How do?

First post ever.  Short and sweet.  I got a 2006 last year and it's been treating me very well.  I got some OEM hard luggage from David Silver Spares (which is great by the way).  But while reading the instructions, I noticed that the installation actually requires the passenger grab handles.  Mine didn't come with them.  Apparently they're also very difficult to find although I haven't trolled through this site too thoroughly yet.  My local Honda dealer can get them for me, maybe, for a cool $275…so the question is: has anyone attached the luggage racks without the grab handles?

• Member Contributer

Going from memory I am sure you could if you bought the right hardware.  You may need shorter bolts, as they will not need to pass down through the handles.  Will look a little odd at the mount points, but I expect it would work fine - try it, let us know!

• Member Contributer

sell the oem bags, buy a givi/kappa setup its what I have and I like it by far better than the oem stuff. it locks on more positive than oem and used the exhaust mount not the hand rails, I don't have my handrails mounted and the seat cowl on looks good even with bags.

• Member Contributer

Do you ONLY own the cases? Or do you also own the racks they attach to?

I doubt if you MUST use the passenger grips, if you are comfortable getting a bit creative.

Capture.JPG

The rack needs to bolt (2 on each side) to the top of the subframe.  I'd imagine if you get long enough bolts and cut spacers that slide over the bolt in between the subframe and the rack bolt holes (add a bit of rubber padding) you are good to go. Especial if you have part #6 in the above as well.

i mean, if I can graft 6th gen cases+rack on a 4th gen.....  :-)

IMAG2958_zpsreod2qba.jpg

Archived