New rim

Forbes

• Member Contributer

My new rear rim arrived today. Comstar gold, never had a tyre on!! How lucky am I?

This will go onto the stock bike, then I'll have two rims for the project bike, of which I will sacrifice one to widen to fit a 160 tyre.

The only thing I don't like about the VF, skinny rear wheel....

8b797f3a9d78b689b32b669ed4648b0f.jpg6ac655d355b1a3c1a64c69cb64be0412.jpg

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I'm still blown away, 30 odd years old and brand new! Almost needs to be framed, not used. Haha.

That gold is quite lovely, would love a set.  But I think I am going to do the cbr swap so I have access to better rubber.

• Member Contributer

Poor CBR's.....all legless...everyone's taking their wheels.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

How do you plan to widen the rim? Do you have sweet hook-ups that can do this type of work? Would love to get a couple modified if it's not too expensive.

Nice pick up on that rim too. The sort of find we all dream of I reckon.

• Member Contributer

Haven't been in contact with machinery shop yet, but they advertising for car rim widening. You have to supply a donar wheel. They part off sections and re-weld together. I realize I'll lose the anodizing with the welds, but will match paint to suite. I'll keep up with progress, but it'll be awhile...

• Member Contributer

Gold boomerangs are very nice and what you have there is as perfect as they come.  They were only used on one bike shipped to the U.S., but can be bought online.  I bought a pair from a guy in Holland for my CB1100F. (This was the stock wheel on the CDN and Euro 1100F's)  They were quite faded and sad looking, but a nice coat of metallic gold powder and they look new again.  A huge cosmetic upgrade for any Honda.  Post pics as you go and maybe you can have a PC shop refinish it for you after the welding is done.  I used metallic gold and super durable wet clear from Columbia Coatings.  The finish isn't identical, but they came out beautiful.

Front gold boomie.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Love those wheels and wonder if it is possible to make them 17" as well as a slight widening to 5" or 5.5"

It would seem during the widening process that you could have the 6 'boomerang spokes" modified slightly to fit a 17" instead of the 18/16 rear/front set up that originally came on these bikes.

Maybe someone else will fugure this out before I dive in.

gallery_7288_1401_57707.jpg

• Member Contributer

Our VF1000F has a (black) 17x3.5 rear boomerang (16" front!), so you'd need to get them powder coated, but it's enough rim to get you a 150/70 Pirelli Phantom in my case:

File 13-07-2016, 9 25 18 AM.jpeg

File 13-07-2016, 9 29 56 AM.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Have been thinking about the VF1000f rim. Project bike is going to be stripped back so 17" would look better.

Posted somewhere, my sister had a CB900f that she had rebuilt. Wheels were painted with actual gold flecks in gold paint, looked amazing.

Thanks for your pics guys.

• Member Contributer
10 minutes ago, Forbes said:

Have been thinking about the VF1000f rim. Project bike is going to be stripped back so 17" would look better.

Posted somewhere, my sister had a CB900f that she had rebuilt. Wheels were painted with actual gold flecks in gold paint, looked amazing.

Thanks for your pics guys.

Actual gold?! Awesome! These wheels are actually going on my CB1100F. Eventually!

• Member Contributer

Aah, the 1100.....

Everyone had a 750 or 900, but if you had an 1100 you were special. Saw a CB900f with pro-link rear and upside down forks, now that looked hot.

See in your pic front mudgaurd has the air scoop, my sister had an 1100 one that also wrapped around the forks a little bit, subtle but another distinguishing feature between models. See if you can track one down?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer
Love those wheels and wonder if it is possible to make them 17" as well as a slight widening to 5" or 5.5"

It would seem during the widening process that you could have the 6 'boomerang spokes" modified slightly to fit a 17" instead of the 18/16 rear/front set up that originally came on these bikes.
Maybe someone else will fugure this out before I dive in.

gallery_7288_1401_57707.jpg

Hi CornerCarver,
definitely can't cut an 18" down to 17" , the rim clearly says "do not disassemble". All that would happen is they part off the outer lips and sacrifice another rim and part off closer to the center, then weld those onto the first one.
As you can see I found a set of VF1000 rims. Rear 17", front 18", front will become a wall decoration and rear will be widened, I'll keep the 750's 16" front.
But I too have picked up a set of CBR600 wheels....both 17". Luckily I've got a third bike to play with.

• Member Contributer
On 17/07/2016 at 8:41 PM, Forbes said:

As you can see I found a set of VF1000 rims. Rear 17", front 18"

Well that's interesting. I have an 84, and it has a 16" front. Didn't realise there was an 18" version a year later. Just out of interest, how wide is that front?

cheers

ian

• Member Contributer

Well that's interesting. I have an 84, and it has a 16" front. Didn't realise there was an 18" version a year later. Just out of interest, how wide is that front?

cheers
ian

So finally home, 2 3/4 inch, +/-67mm internal, just short of 3 1/2 inch +/-86mm outside
I thought it strange too, but was after the rear only.
Regards
Craig

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, Forbes said:

So finally home, 2 3/4 inch, +/-67mm internal, just short of 3 1/2 inch +/-86mm outside
I thought it strange too, but was after the rear only.
Regards
Craig

Thanks mate. Not sure if you know or not, but the size is stamped around the rim? Something like 18xMT2.50 for my 1100f rim.

• Member Contributer
Thanks mate. Not sure if you know or not, but the size is stamped around the rim? Something like 18xMT2.50 for my 1100f rim.

Haha, yeah, was too tired to think straight...

• Member Contributer

I would have made you an offer seeing as you didn't need the front, but it looks to be the same width as the (gold) one I have.

nevermind.

cheers

ian

• Member Contributer
I would have made you an offer seeing as you didn't need the front, but it looks to be the same width as the (gold) one I have.

nevermind.

cheers
ian

You would be welcome to it, pay freight only! Do you really want to go wider on the front? Even new bikes are still small up front!

• Member Contributer

I put the (wider) 3.5" vf wheel on the back of my 1100F, but couldn't find a wider 18" boomerang for the front to match. That's why my ears pricked up when I saw your pic. Not to be by the sound of it. I'm running a 110 on it, but was hoping to run a 120 on a wider rim.

cheers mate

ian

Archived