PRB's 3rd Annual Fall Ride (Oct. 6-9th @ Greene's Motel, Boone, NC)

PirateRiderBen

Alright folks, I have taken into consideration the few folks that voiced their opinions these last few days, and have also talked to some folks privately. The event will be October 6-9th 2016. That is a Thurs-Sun event. A couple had expressed interest at moving the event into September, but for two main reasons I chose these dates. 1. The leaves! Early to mid September is hit and miss on the gorgeous mountain leaves, these dates assure good views to be enjoyed by all. and 2. This weekend is Appalachian State University's bye week for their football season. The other weekend in mid Sept. was a home game. In theory traffic and hustle and bustle around Boone should be drastically better than a home game weekend. 

We will be returning Greene's Motel as before. It's no palace of luxury but the price is right and the location is pretty spot on. I want to make sure everyone can afford to attend, so as usual I intend to keep costs very low as much as I can. There is great coffee for cheap right next door at a gas station, and I think they have some in the lobby of the motel. There's no continental breakfast unfortunately. However Ihop and Waffle House are up the street and there is a mini fridge in every room if you'd like to being yogurt or some snacks etc... 

I will be opening this up to a small forum based out of Charlotte as well, very similar to VFRD. Our own 007 actually introduced me to the group. Great guys, I think the entire forum is about 50 people, and maybe 10-12 of us are actually active. ,Mainly BMW's, FJR's, Concours's, some Ducati's, and even a couple VFR's.

I have spoken with Miguel and and working to eventually get this ride its own page in the VFRD rides section. He is very busy with the site right now, so look for any updates here in the USA-South section.

Reservation information: Please call ASAP to book your room. let them know you are with VFRD. All rooms have 2 double (or full?) sized beds in them. Greene's is looking forward to having us back and they have willingly blocked off 15 rooms for VFRD until AUGUST 15TH 2016. The rate is 59$ for each night, with a minimum 2 night stay. The rate jumps back to 69$ a night if you don't reserve by the deadline above, or if you stay Friday or Saturday ONLY. There are other hotels in the area, but in the fall they tend to jack the rates way up, but feel free to make an alternate plan if Greene's doesn't work for you. Everyone is welcome regardless of hotel choice or motorcycle type/brand. 

T-Shirts: I will be using the same performance fabric shirt from last year, but in a new color and with a different design. I will update sometime this summer with ordering information, so stay tuned. 

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, look forward to a successful and safe riding season. If you have any questions please contact me, thank you!

-PRB

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Riding and groups were so good last year just say the dates and I'll be there!  

I have only one problem - need more than four days for all the amazing roads in the area.  This work thing is cramping my riding time.

I'd be fine Carbon Copying last year (except for weather on Saturday).  Boone location is hard to beat.  Greene's Motel is fine.

• Member Contributer

I like the changing of the days to Thur-Sun. A lot more doable for me than the previous days. As for dates, the earlier the better just for the warmer Temps and less leaf peepers.  Hopefully this year we can actually ride with some of you. 

• Member Contributer

I'll make it work man. Just want to get together.  It keeps me sane...well sort of. 

• Member Contributer

Can I vote if I cannot make it? I'd like to back Randy's name. And it will be more likely no one will since I won't be there.  Maybe I can send some red duct tape. :)

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 3:51 PM, PirateRiderBen said:

I will be attempting to return to Greene's Motel as before. It's no palace of luxury but the price is right and the location is pretty spot on. I want to make sure everyone can afford to attend, so as usual I intend to keep costs very low as much as I can.

Ben, it's noble to try and keep the cost down, but I gotta wave a flag on the Greene Motel.  That place is fukn AWFUL at any price.  You'll recall that the property was rezoned and up for sale last time we were there (maybe it's been bulldozed by now, good riddance) so there's zero incentive for the owner to maintain the place, provide decent service, etc.  If it is still there one year later (Fall, 2016), I can only imagine how crappy the rooms are, nothing working, sticky carpet, etc.  Not to mention the sketchy work-crew denizens who live there during the week.  I'd love to attend your fine event, but I'll be staying at the Fairfield across the street.   Just sayin'......

43 minutes ago, Trace said:

Ben, it's noble to try and keep the cost down, but I gotta wave a flag on the Greene Motel.  That place is fukn AWFUL at any price.  You'll recall that the property was rezoned and up for sale last time we were there (maybe it's been bulldozed by now, good riddance) so there's zero incentive for the owner to maintain the place, provide decent service, etc.  If it is still there one year later (Fall, 2016), I can only imagine how crappy the rooms are, nothing working, sticky carpet, etc.  Not to mention the sketchy work-crew denizens who live there during the week.  I'd love to attend your fine event, but I'll be staying at the Fairfield across the street.   Just sayin'......

Understandable Trace, everyone has different opinions and financial situations. The Greene's has been clean and suitable in my eyes for the 55-60$ a night price tag. The temp laborers who were staying there didn't really bother me much, but like I said everyone has their views/preferences. With Tmac costs doubling this year, finding affordable accommodations for the other rides during the year has increased in importance, at least to me. The Fairfield in Boone quoted me 152$ a night, which is out of my reach and others as well. Doesn't make much sense for me to plan a ride I couldn't attend haha! I will check with Greene's in the next month to block off rooms. The hotel has been for sale for a number of years, if it does indeed close down, I will certainly make the needed changes to the ride to try to include everyone that I can. I certainly hope you and the others from your neck of the woods can attend this fall, anyone is welcome regardless of where they would like to lodge. 

-PRB

P.S. If others echo this sentiment, I can certainly explore alternate options, but so far everything for the Sept-October timeline is ringing in between $115-150$ a night.

2 hours ago, PirateRiderBen said:

P.S. If others echo this sentiment, I can certainly explore alternate options, but so far everything for the Sept-October timeline is ringing in between $115-150$ a night.

Ben,

Thanks for the great reply, and I fully understand your aim of keeping it as cheap as possible.  Certainly, one problem is that during the "leaf peepers" time of year, the rates are bound to be higher or non-negotiable, thus the Buck-Fifty-Two at Fairfield.  On the other hand, 70+ guys sharing rooms can afford TMAC room rates plus that high-priced dinner on Saturday night, so are we as poor as we think?  

Anyway, I'll never get over that sticky fukn carpet, the screaming heater unit that had two temp settings (off and blowtorch), the 24" tv, the bathroom from the early 1950s, the broken lamp on the nightstand, the bed that saggggggged in the middle, the temp laborers with their giant trucks towing trailers with giant spools of cable or DitchWitch machines crushing our motorcycles........

..........the lobby with the collapsed ceiling directly over the front desk, dribbling some sort of water on the newly-arrived guest.  Am I forgetting anything?   Oh yeah...the outside trashcans that were never emptied despite BULGING with beer cans/boxes, and a pile of the same alongside the guilty can.  Ugh. 

Must have been first floor rooms. Mine was palatial on the second floor.

Not really, not really.

Drink more, it covers the funk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Trace said:

Ben,

Thanks for the great reply, and I fully understand your aim of keeping it as cheap as possible.  Certainly, one problem is that during the "leaf peepers" time of year, the rates are bound to be higher or non-negotiable, thus the Buck-Fifty-Two at Fairfield.  On the other hand, 70+ guys sharing rooms can afford TMAC room rates plus that high-priced dinner on Saturday night, so are we as poor as we think?  

Anyway, I'll never get over that sticky fukn carpet, the screaming heater unit that had two temp settings (off and blowtorch), the 24" tv, the bathroom from the early 1950s, the broken lamp on the nightstand, the bed that saggggggged in the middle, the temp laborers with their giant trucks towing trailers with giant spools of cable or DitchWitch machines crushing our motorcycles........

..........the lobby with the collapsed ceiling directly over the front desk, dribbling some sort of water on the newly-arrived guest.  Am I forgetting anything?   Oh yeah...the outside trashcans that were never emptied despite BULGING with beer cans/boxes, and a pile of the same alongside the guilty can.  Ugh. 

Okay now that must have been after a long night of drinking! My bed definitely sagged on the sides, not the middle! Hahaha

Arent the the trash cans supposed to be bulging with beer cans?

2 hours ago, PirateRiderBen said:

Arent the the trash cans supposed to be bulging with beer cans?

LOL!!  And yes, whiskey bottles too...

idaho 130.JPG

I stayed in Boone for easy access to food, beer, coffee, and gas. I had considered mountain city, but there really isn't much happening up that way and we tend to be a late dinner bunch with a thirst for alcohol. 

• 3 weeks later...

fyi...Ellen and I stayed in Mountain city last year during our travels prior to Tmac.  Not a lot of good to say about the town or the available facilities.  Perhaps we just missed the hidden good stuff.

• Member Contributer

There is Tributary Restaurant, Panda Garden, and Mike's BBQ.  Not to mention Shady Valley Country Store and the restaurant across the street where Ben and I ate while the Country Store was closed.  Last I checked, I sleep in the motel room and enjoy the riding, company, and outdoors just the same.  If Matt brings the scotch with a keg, I think that will work nicely for the short week or so.  There is an ABC store in Mountain City.  I'm sure there is more.  The Snake reminds me of 28 minus the traffic, intersections, and driveways.  No better road.

• Member Contributer

What about Jefferson or Bryson City?

I have avoided areas like Bryson City, which is near Franklin, as Tmac covers that section of the state pretty well. Moving north allows for equally great roads, but different scenery. The location in Boone has considerably more options for food than even Franklin. Plus close to Walmart, auto parts stores, etc. Cracker Barrel, Applebees, Five Guys, Chili's, plus the dozen or so local places that are all within walking distance or a 5 min drive. I stayed at the Greene's Motel because they have 15+ rooms available and its 59$ a night. If everyone wants to pay 100-150$ a  night I will look for other accommodations. I know the 109$ a night was a issue for Tmac this year, as evidence by the 50% drop in attendance. 

Personally the rooms I have had the last two years have had functional TV and fridge and AC. Have not had bugs, smells, stains, or dirt in them. The water is hot and there's no mold etc. No it hasn't been remodeled lately and the paint on the outside of the building is old and flaking. The back parking lot area is perfect for a group of 20+ motorcyclists to drink and talk till 1am, something I am sure the Fairview (Or other large chain hotel) would be less than excited to see. (Maybe I am wrong but that's just an assumption). 

BUT, 59$ a night leaves me (and you) more money to spend on gas food and travel. split the room and you're only paying 30$ a night to crash there. Thats basically unbeatable. Smaller hotels in the area may have lower rates, but somewhere that has enough space to block off 15 rooms for our group for several months? Not likely. 

This is all my opinion though. If the group wants to go somewhere else, please let me know and I will do the leg work. However keep in mind we all here aren't as financially capable to spend several hundred dollars for a few nights at a hotel. When I started this two years ago I offered up some options for 120-150$ a night that were unanimously shot down for being to expensive for a motorcycle ride. 

I will explore alternate options but at this time, I am leaving our blocked off rooms at Greene's.

-PRB

Ben, I don't think you should waste another minute of your time worrying about this issue (that I generated).  Your decision-tree for staying at the Greene is spot-on, and you are correct that it will work just fine for nearly everybody.  The location and access to food, Lowe's, booze....cannot be beat.  Hell, I may even relent and stay there again (Ugh!).  And if not, me or anyone else who wants to spend more money can do so.  It's as simple as that.  Stick to your plan. 

I just hope the utility crews don't back their trucks/trailers over everyone's bikes........  :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I thought Greene's was fine. I've stayed in worse, like, blood in the bathroom worse. Sure, it ain't the four seasons, but it's not awful. I appreciate the cheap rates and the location. I'll go with the flow though. If you need any help, I'm there.

• Member Contributer
2 minutes ago, Trace said:

Ben, I don't think you should waste another minute of your time worrying about this issue (that I generated).  Your decision-tree for staying at the Greene is spot-on, and you are correct that it will work just fine for nearly everybody.  The location and access to food, Lowe's, booze....cannot be beat.  Hell, I may even relent and stay there again (Ugh!).  And if not, me or anyone else who wants to spend more money can do so.  It's as simple as that.  Stick to your plan. 

I just hope the utility crews don't back their trucks/trailers over everyone's bikes........  :goofy:

Troublemaker

Archived