I Need Your Best Tips Here...

Voided76

I am changing out the entire wiring harness for my 6th gen. I've got everything disconnected I think, I just can't seem to sneak it out from beside the engine block and the frame.

Do I cut the tape, and take the harness out in two pieces? Do I cut the tape on the new harness, and install it in two pieces then re-wrap it?

are there more headaches in store for me? lol

• Member Contributer

So the connectors on the wiring harness are too big to get through the frame opening. Me, I would not cut the wires, but rather remove the connector from the wires by pushing out each pin from the connector. It's tedious work but worth the effort. The connector pins have a barb that locks them into the connector. Push the barb back with a needle and push out the pin. Take a picture of the connector and keep track of the color locations so you get the pins back in the right holes later. :comp13:

I am undertaking the same task as you after my loom melted at the weekend. I've got all the loom through to the left but struggling to unplug the Fi unit on the front right side, due to the metal cradle it's held in. How did you do this?

Also, does the undertray and subframe need to come off to get from back to front out?

Not an easy job at all - feeling frustrated now!

Funnily enough I'm just prepping my replacement 5th Gen wire harness.  The one one there at the minute is corroded to hell.

I recall reading somewhere that it took one guy 18 hours to rewire his harness.  I hope it doesn't take that long.

• Member Contributer

If you're replacing the entire harness, it sounds like you've already got some headaches - sorry to hear. I would agree with not cutting the harness.  That would introduce additional points of possible failure when splicing it back together.  While you have it apart, maybe consider adding Oxgard to the connectors, grounds and pins to help conductivity.  

• 3 weeks later...

so the harness is back in.

I have an issue....  the running headlights,  and the running tail lights are NOT lighting up.  high beams,  and brake lights are perfectly operative.

What's going on?

Archived