Clutch Chatter On Idle

madmdx

Hello all, one of my first posts so I apologize if I'm in the wrong section.

Just noticed my 03 vfr has some kind of chatter in idle when the clutch is released, which goes away once depressed.

On a car I would normally say the release bearing is dying out or the clutch assembly, itself but I wanted to know if there's something in particular I should be looking at for this model bike? Car has around 68k KM, I changed the oil 200 km ago and replaced a dead stator as well.

Thanks for the help

• Member Contributer

My 6th gen makes the same noise. It's at 42,000 miles and there's no issue. A friend of mine (many at VFRD thought I had no friends before becoming a member :unsure:) is a factory trained tech......... he said it's gear lash and not to worry, so I don't. Welcome to VFRD !

Cool thanks guys! never thought gear lash would be this noticeable as I was a car mechanic and never encountered something like this being normal haha. Of course bikes are a little different.

• Member Contributer

Are you certain it’s not the sound of the cam chain tensioner? I had two go bad on my prior 6th gen and engaging the clutch seemed to correlate to the noise but was actually incidental. If I heard a rattle I would strongly suspect the CCT.

That's interesting as well. I'd have to open up the motor to see the tensioner I suppose, in what way do they go bad? The noise is more like a fluttering when at idle with the clutch lever disengaged and completely disappears once it is pulled in. I'll try to take a video next time and post it

Yeh, they sound like Cam Chain Tensioners to me as well. I had to replace them as well. no need to take the whole engine out, just buy the replacements and do it. Not too hard to do it and parts are only about $120 for both pieces. Unless you have a dry clutch system like a ducati, you shouldnt be hearing clutch rattling.

Archived