Yet Another Chinese Fairing Thread

Gregg

• Member Contributer

In the same vein of Viffercrab's thread - http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/81765-viffercrabs-chinese-fairings-build-thread/

and Terry's thread - http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/82308-terrys-chinese-fairing-adventure/

I thought I'd start one here for my experiences with Chinese fairings for my 1998. The previous owner had custom painted everything, and it looks good, but there are now some spots that could be repaired. I also figured in case I ever went down, I'd rather wreck the chinese stuff than the OEM plastic. Instead of a full repaint, it is definitely cheaper to order a new set of Chinese fairings. I will have to get the tank redone, since there is a bubble that I need to address anyway.

Following the two threads above, it seemed the easy choice would be to go with Auctmarts. I was disappointed to see the 5th Gen set is compression molded. This led me to spend some time searching the internet to see what else was available. I came across another seller, Fribest (http://www.chinamotorcyclepart.com/) in addition to Auctmarts. Some Google searching turned up some good reviews for Fribest.

According to their website, Fribest's set is an Injection Molded set of Fairings for the 5th gen. This seems to be the only place I've seen this available.

I decided I'd contact Auctmarts and Fribest to try and confirm the Injection Molded. I also inquired about matching the Stock Red, even though it's really not too much of a concern for me.

First, I asked Auctmarts. I received a reply within 24 hours, which is about the correct time frame noted from Viffercrab and Terry. This was their reply:

yes we have R157 and the price is 499 US shipped

and those are newest revised compressmold1

I was curious what they meant by 'revised compression mold', so I replied asking about it and got a reply very quickly:

little modificaition but still fit good

I thanked them and let them I know I was still looking around and I would reply again to start an order if I decided to go down that road. Almost immediately I got another email from them with:

we can match the color and other company cannt

I'm not really sure what they hoped to accomplish with that, but I left it and contact Fribest to get a quote.
They have a small web form on their website I filled out and withing 24 hours I received a reply from them:

Glad to receive your inquiry! This is Betty at FRIBEST.

Our quotation is as below:
1) Bike: VFR800 1998-2011
2) Mold: Injection mold. The fitment is same as original.
3) Clear coat: Three layers
4) Quality: High quality. Painted the back of front nose
5) The price of the fairing kit with the shipping cost: 415USD/set.

Please be informed that this fairing kit:
Production time: 10-14 days
Delivery time: 5-7 days

We accept the payment via PayPal or Bank Transfer.

Our paypal account: gzcmpcycle@yahoo.com

Name:FRIBEST INDUSTRY GROUP CO., LIMITED

-Gurantee = We bear responsibility if the fairing was break during the transportation, send new replacement for you free.
-Material = perfect OEM fitment, ABS Injection Mould, made by machine,

-Paint job = At least 3 lacquer applied.
-Extra free paint = We paint the inside front fairing, look nicer :)
-Extra gift = Clear or Black windscreen + heat shield + tank pad.

So Fribest claims that their kit is Injection molded. I responded just asking about the color match, as I'm curious what they say about it.

I know Terry had good luck with his 5th Gen kit, but I did see another person that had some holes that weren't lined up properly. I figured I'd give this other company a shot since they say they are injected molding. Unless someone else gives me a reason not to that is.

I'll keep this thread updated and at some point I'll get some pictures. The weather here in NJ has just been awful for April.

UPDATED 4/16/2016:

I decided to go with Auctmarts. I wanted to keep the main post updated with a timeline for future reference in case someone else were to order from Auctmart.

My order didn't have anything custom, just the stock (hopefully) Italian Red.

April 12 2016 :

Confirmed with Auctmart that I wanted to order. They stated they would send an invoice via PayPal.

Received invoice for 499, matched previous quote.

Paid Invoice.

April 13 2016:
Received Confirmation about order. They also asked for a picture of what I ordered. I didn't know if they wanted a screenshot of the tiem I wanted, or of the bike. I sent both.

Received Invoice for Optional Insurance. I did not purchase it.

April 14 2016:
Woke up to an email that asked to confirm my shipping address and they asked if I wanted the decals on the fairings. Since the goal is to bring the color and fairings back to stock, I indicated I would like the decals and asked for a photo just to confirm what decals they would be applying.

April 15 2016:

Had another email in my inbox from Auctmarts. My request of " please send a photo of the decals you would be applying." Was met with a "Please send us photos of the decals you want on the fairing kit." I passed on the decals and told them in the interest of time, to please go ahead with my order and leave the fairings decal less. I'll take care of them on my end, if I wind up deciding to do so.

April 16 2016:
Woke up to one more email. "OK. thanks for the understanding." Now it's the waiting game.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Good luck with this Gregg.

I'm still happy with the Auctmarts parts and they have held up well so far, and still look awesome. Injection moulded would be better though.

• Member Contributer

Good luck with this Gregg.

I'm still happy with the Auctmarts parts and they have held up well so far, and still look awesome. Injection moulded would be better though.

Thanks! When I initially read your thread I was just going to go with Auctmarts and be done with it. But of course I had to look around and see what else might be out there.

Either way, we'll get another hands on review on another retailer for fairings.

• Member Contributer

I am curious about their first point... seeing as fairings between 98-01 are very different from 02+

Unless they were simply indicating they make fairings for all VFR800 models from 98-11, but that is sure a weird way of saying it, particularly as it is termed part of your "quotation"

• Member Contributer

I am curious about their first point... seeing as fairings between 98-01 are very different from 02+

Unless they were simply indicating they make fairings for all VFR800 models from 98-11, but that is sure a weird way of saying it, particularly as it is termed part of your "quotation"

I had noticed this as well. I chalked it up to a typo. They included a screenshot, which didn't come over when I pasted, of a line item that says 98-01. The website also had the 5th and 6th gen years listed out properly.

I will verify this though. I'd hate to see the box show up and have them be completely wrong.

• Member Contributer

Very interested and following this thread.

I'm sure it's a typo.

Here's a website where they list 98-01.

http://fribest.com.au/aftermarket-road-fairing-kits-c-1.html?makes_id=2&bikemodels_id=47&yearfrom=1998&yearto=2001&osCsid=5015974fb6bf25ba1c2281ded31b7b9a

• Member Contributer

I checked out the site Alibaba, as I saw it mentioned in a thread somewhere else here. I found the Fribest company fairings that are listed on the http://www.chinamotorcyclepart.com/site on Alibaba so I contacted them through there. They were the exact same item and were also listed as Injection Molding.

I asked for a quote and to confirm if there were in fact injection molded. Well, I got the exact same price for the quote 419 shipped to my door, but I was told they were not injection molded. So two different answers from the same company. I've reach out one more time to see if they confirm which one is correct.

If they are compression molded I may wind up going with Auctmarts.

• Member Contributer

Well, I heard back from Fribest, and they confirmed that the fairing kit is actually Compression Molding, not Injection.

Hi Gregg,
I'm sorry for the wrong information I wrote in my last email.

This fairing kit is not injection mould fairing kit.

About the color, please check the attachment to see the picture.

Thanks & happy business!
TEL:0086-20-8197 6205
http://www.chinamotorcyclepart.com/

Quality products for quality customers!
Betty

Needless to say, I'm a bit saddened.

Now, VFRD, I ask you, would you go with Auctmarts, as we know what to expect, or roll the dice and take a chance with Fribest?

• Member Contributer

roll the dice, take a chance,

somewhere Between Highway 61 & 49 :-)

• Member Contributer

All I can say Gregg is that Auctmarts were good to deal with, tried hard to get the job done right and supplied a good product, quickly shipped and well packaged. Of interest, their web page used to show the 5th gen parts as injection moulded, but they told me prior to shipping that this was incorrect.

The only fitting issues I had were one of the well nut mounts on the side fairing (where the black lower inner piece screws in) was sitting too close the edge of the panel so the inner wouldn't slip in nicely. I forced the issue and snapped it off, because I couldn't see where the interference was. The top fairing is great, the tailpiece is pretty snug but fits fine. You will have to open up a few of the holes to fit the stock fasteners through but its very easy to do. The only way I could tell that the parts aren't OEM is that the plastic is a little thinner around the fasteners so the heads stand slightly proud, only noticeable on the tail piece. Oh, and also the plastics now all have clear coat so they are shinier than OEM...

• Member Contributer

All I can say Gregg is that Auctmarts were good to deal with, tried hard to get the job done right and supplied a good product, quickly shipped and well packaged. Of interest, their web page used to show the 5th gen parts as injection moulded, but they told me prior to shipping that this was incorrect.

The only fitting issues I had were one of the well nut mounts on the side fairing (where the black lower inner piece screws in) was sitting too close the edge of the panel so the inner wouldn't slip in nicely. I forced the issue and snapped it off, because I couldn't see where the interference was. The top fairing is great, the tailpiece is pretty snug but fits fine. You will have to open up a few of the holes to fit the stock fasteners through but its very easy to do. The only way I could tell that the parts aren't OEM is that the plastic is a little thinner around the fasteners so the heads stand slightly proud, only noticeable on the tail piece. Oh, and also the plastics now all have clear coat so they are shinier than OEM...

This is really the dilemma I'm having. This a good chunk of change to pluck down and not really know what to expect with Fribest. However we have a reasonable expectation as to what I will get with Auctmarts. I'm hoping to have something ordered by the end of the week.

• Member Contributer

I asked Fribest about fitment, full knowing that trying to describe something like that over email is difficult and subjective.

This was their reply:

85% fitting no problem I guess.

We sold many but didn't receive feedback say it has bad fitment.

So, I'm a bit torn on who to go with. And of course trying to research what other people have purchased isn't helping.

• Member Contributer

After thinking about it a little more, I've decided to go with Auctmarts. Based on the couple of VFRD member experiences, plus they have been VERY responsive, I feel this is the best bet for the money. It's just too big a chuck of change for me to take a shot with someone else.

If they were in fact injection molded, I would have been willing to give Fribest a try. But, for now, I feel Auctmarts is the way to go.

I've just responded confirming what I would like to order and letting them know I would like to proceed. I'll keep this thread updated as well. And if the weather in NJ improves, I'll get some photos of what the bike currently looks like.

• Member Contributer

I'm in this for the long haul now.

As I mentioned in the last post, I responded to Auctmarts confirming what I was looking to order and that I wanted to proceed.

Just over an hour later, I received and email that that would send an invoice via PayPal. A few minutes later the invoice showed up. They now have my money! :ohmy:

• Member Contributer

Yes there is a "gulp" moment as you push the "pay now" button!

Best of luck.

• Member Contributer

Best of luck.

Yes, there is!

I have received another email about Optional Insurance, but I'm not exactly sure what it covers. I'll be reaching out today to check.

When I have some time I am going to be updating the initial post to be a bit more streamlined with a timeline.

• Member Contributer

Best of luck.

Yes, there is!

I have received another email about Optional Insurance, but I'm not exactly sure what it covers. I'll be reaching out today to check.

When I have some time I am going to be updating the initial post to be a bit more streamlined with a timeline.

Gregg, i had the same "insurance quote" from them, don't bother. Be prepared for emails back and forth in pidgin English. Eventually got mine, admittedly for my Bird but good quality. Only snag was the import duty into the UK. Ouch.

• Member Contributer

Gregg, i had the same "insurance quote" from them, don't bother. Be prepared for emails back and forth in pidgin English. Eventually got mine, admittedly for my Bird but good quality. Only snag was the import duty into the UK. Ouch.

Thank you for chiming in! I knew I had seen it somewhere else but couldn't recall what the outcome is.

I've been experiencing the back and forth already. The English isn't terrible, but I do see what you mean. As I mentioned before, they have been pretty responsive, which has impressed me.

• Member Contributer

I am sure you will be happy with the fairings, just take your time fitting them, like any aftermarket piece they can be a little off. I think mine was due to the bikes brackets not being straight :wacko: just keep reminding yourself Where else can I get new 5th gen fairings at this price :beer: :beer:

Archived