Veefour Electronic Cruise Control, Installed And Tested

swimmer

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Announcement

The summer time is coming and as every human being I shall have some time OFF as well :happy:

If you guys are planning any GROUP BUY please consider ordering it in the next 3 weeks - I still need some time to process the orders.

July 12th is the last date I will be able to accept the SINGLE orders. I will be answering emails normally but I will not be able to send anything.

I will be back around August 7th

So if you want to have a cruise control for your summer trip please have this in mind.

Regards
Prez

• Member Contributer

Have finally gotten around to having the new VeeFour cruise designed and built by Pres installed and it works just as advertised. This ride by wire unit replaces the old McCruise system that failed. We will do the same replacement on the 2012 VFR 1200 when that McCruise unit fails.

VeeFour Cruise.jpg

On 6/10/2016 at 1:39 PM, veeefour said:

Yeah sure, why not. Dutch are cooking something. Shall I put you on the list, officially?

And please email me directly so I can send you the Installation Manual.

Put me down as a for sure.  I had emailed you previously and already have the instruction manual, but I'll email you again so you have my 'real' contact information for the group buy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Got mine all installed... And it's raining. 

I feel like a kind on his way to Disney World... Can't wait. 

A big thanks to Prez/Veeefour. Even though he is on the other side of the globe, he answers ALL of my (mostly stupid) questions super quick. Top notch service. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Bought mine within minutes of discovering this thread. 

Fantastic product. Been wanting a cruise control since forever but was not satisfied with what was out there.  This unit is the real deal. 

Just got got back from a 3 day, 2100km trip to the Adirondacks and could not be happier. A bit of slab to get to NY was actually quite bearable, and using it between the twistys gives the hand a nice rest. 

Well done Prez.  

Just spent a week riding out to Maine and back.  Was a bit more slab than I care to admit to, but I racked up over 3,200 miles and the ECC has worked out well.  The battery in my bike needs to be replaced, so the ECC started acting a little weird the last 2 legs of my trip, but it was WAY better than any sort of throttle lock I have ever used.

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to inform everyone that I have some units stock - I'm no longer on vacation so do not hesitate to place your order smile.gif

Also, pleased to inform that additional 5% rebate for all orders in September.

• 2 weeks later...

I do listen what customers have to say and some said they don't like the switch gear. Main complains was: hard to operate with very thick gloves.

Well, first of all it was designed to be cheap and reliable - rocker switches does not require me to order 10.000 pieces with custom symbol,
they are reliable, sturdy and easy to build in, commonly available so the whole switch gear can be manufactured with a reasonable price.

Some were also saying the the price is high so for those people I have designed the first switch. Some said they would like to pay a little
bit more and have more sophisticated design push button with SYMBOLS on it. As mentioned above, I do listen what customers have to say
therefore I spent some time working hard on a new "OPTIONAL" switch version. I was able to find a manufacturer which not require me to
order 10.000 pieces but they are not cheap. Below the CAD view of the new design and sample photos of the mentioned push buttons.
Thy offer a BUILD-IN LED so the two Cruise Control status lights will be integrated in the two upper switches which to me is actually
a very neat idea.

Opinions? Ideas? Feedback? Welcome!

New_switch.jpg

druck_taste.jpg

druck_taste_2.jpg

• Member Contributer

It looks like that new switch would be easier to operate.  I think once you get used to the original switch and having to push the switch firmly it is fine.  I don't wear thick gloves though.

The price of the cruise control is very reasonable in my opinion.  It seems very unlikely I'd ever own another motorcycle again without cruise control unless that motorcycle wasn't going to see any distance riding.  

Well some were complaining and wanted a switch gear with better "feel" - those push-buttons click very firmly and you can use them with half inch thick gloves. They wanted and they will have it. No probs.

Warned ya, you will never look back - once you have it's addictive :wink:

About the price - I believe that the price is fair too. Honestly I would rather stop selling them then go cheaper because it's not really working for me below the current price.

Some say it's bargain, some say it's OK but of course there are many saying it's like 3x too expensive - as they say: "One man's meet is another man's poison"!

Price is fair.  Yeah.. It would be nice if it was cheaper, but sometimes you get what you pay for and this is a QUALITY unit.

Would the new switch attach the same way as the previous design?  It would be nice to see the wire come out the back of the unit so once could blend the cable in with the rest of the controls.  Since the switch looks taller, would there be any clearance concerns for those with Helibars?  It's not an issue with the current switch...

I can't tell at this moment I'm afraid. Even tho the Manufacturer of those push-buttons does not require you to order 10k pcs you still need to invest some money - over a grand to reach their MOQ and that would be only for push-buttons. I spent almost all available ECC funds for recent parts restocking so I'm not able to invest that kind of money right now.

Right now is a part of a year when everyone is concerned about "riding" till the winter comes and not spending the money nor dismantling the bike so I'm not selling a lot even tho the price is a bit lower. Guess I need to sell few more units - "no go" for now.

About the compatibility you asked very good question. Initially I wanted to use the same LED's as before but the housing was just too tall and it would most defo collide with tank fairing.  So I had to use the built in LED’s which saved around 15mm. I’m still not sure about the clearance – I even designed a mount plate with an offset – the switch no longer be centered – it need to go a bit higher. Overall the new housing is 20mm taller – 80mm vs 60mm. Another thing is to match the LED brightness. I have no idea what kind of LED’s they have used there. All they can give is the forward voltage and current which is not enough to tell if they will have the same brightness. Might require changing some resistors "inside the module”. Clearance should be be an issue with the Crosstourer - only concerned about VFR here.

I think I need to start some kind of "Patreon" or "Kickstarter" project to bring those buttons to live :wink:

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Prez, I have been following you and your ECC for some time now and I think it is amazing. In essence it is a true Cruise Control.

It is definitely on my wish list, just need to save the coins to get it (As you know, cash flow is always a problem with other projects on the go). I look forward to the presentation of the V2.0 switch block.

Out here is Oz (Australia) the only real option for a cruise control is the McCruise which retails for about AUD$1100.00

Your full kit @ €430.00 is about AUD$620.00 (+postage) This is unquestionably a fair price!

• Member Contributer

FWIW I did 1800 miles over a 3 day ride a couple of weeks ago.  Several stints of filling up the bike and not stopping until I needed more gas and in some of the more remote areas having the cruise control on for all but about 10 minutes of a full tank run.  CC is a game changer for covering big miles.

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, In54ne said:

Hi Prez, I have been following you and your ECC for some time now and I think it is amazing. In essence it is a true Cruise Control.

It is definitely on my wish list, just need to save the coins to get it (As you know, cash flow is always a problem with other projects on the go). I look forward to the presentation of the V2.0 switch block.

Out here is Oz (Australia) the only real option for a cruise control is the McCruise which retails for about AUD$1100.00

Your full kit @ €430.00 is about AUD$620.00 (+postage) This is unquestionably a fair price!

Switched out my McCruise unit when the vacuum failed and installed the unit Prez built. Had some initial issues that were self-inflicted (a bolt not tightened near the housing on the cruise control unit where the throttle cable attached caused erratic on and off behavior). Used the cruise for a three week trip across Canada this summer and the cruise worked as advertised, including surviving truly biblical rain storm in Saskatchewan. 

• 1 month later...

Archived