Questions About Fuel Filter And Theromstat

faran

I have recently acquired a 1996 VFR with ~17,500 miles and going thoroughly over the bike, have few questions:

1- Should I replace inline fuel filter? Bike rides like a champ and I have no history about fuel filter.

2-When I brought her home, it was in late 60's and I was cruising at 55-65mph, but temperature gauge wasn't moving at all. It moved a little above 'C(almost at 1/4) and not much beyond it. Is it normal or gauge is stuck? I am planning to replace the t-stat and found out part number is 19300-ML7-003. Are there any alternate car t-stat options from civic or any Toyota or Japanese cars?

Thanks so much for all the help.

• Member Contributer

PICS! We need Pics.

1- If it's easy, why not do the fuel filter? If it's not easy, I wouldn't make an effort. If it aint broke . . .

2- My 3rd gen ran VERY cold all the time. Changing t-stat did not do a damn thing. I don't know if 4th gen is different. Don't know about interchangeability, but online sourced t-stat cost me $8? Maybe 10. And since it doesn't seem like your in a rush, that maybe an option.

PICS! We need Pics.

1- If it's easy, why not do the fuel filter? If it's not easy, I wouldn't make an effort. If it aint broke . . .

2- My 3rd gen ran VERY cold all the time. Changing t-stat did not do a damn thing. I don't know if 4th gen is different. Don't know about interchangeability, but online sourced t-stat cost me $8? Maybe 10. And since it doesn't seem like your in a rush, that maybe an option.

1-It's very simple, but yeah, I am not going to worry about fuel filter.

2-Seems to be the case for me too. It definitely didn't go till 1/2 mark or anything. Do you have the link or an online source for $8-$10 T-stat? Since dealer one is going to cost an arm or a leg! :goofy:

Thanks for your help and advice, will share picts once it's fully assembled :D

My 96 ran super cold with the carb not running quite right, not that the idle jets are fresh and the rest of the carb was lazily cleaned it comes up to 1/4 on cold days and 1/2 on hot days. The needle barely came off of the bottom before the carb cleaning... The bike was running pretty rough though, so take it as you will.

• Member Contributer

Based on where my VTR1000 with analog temperature gauge operates, 1/4 on the temp gauge is about where the thermostat opens (approx 80C), halfway is 100C or where the fan comes on, and 3/4 (the start of the red zone) would be 120C, above which we should not venture. So under normal moving conditions the gauge should sit right around 1/4, when you get stuck in stop-start traffic you will get to 1/2. but the gauge should not go much higher or lower unless the thermostat is stuck open, or the radiator cap is damaged or the fan not working.

My 96 ran super cold with the carb not running quite right, not that the idle jets are fresh and the rest of the carb was lazily cleaned it comes up to 1/4 on cold days and 1/2 on hot days. The needle barely came off of the bottom before the carb cleaning... The bike was running pretty rough though, so take it as you will.

So far in my case idle is smooth and things are stable from carb perspective. Did it improve after you fixed carb issue?

Based on where my VTR1000 with analog temperature gauge operates, 1/4 on the temp gauge is about where the thermostat opens (approx 80C), halfway is 100C or where the fan comes on, and 3/4 (the start of the red zone) would be 120C, above which we should not venture. So under normal moving conditions the gauge should sit right around 1/4, when you get stuck in stop-start traffic you will get to 1/2. but the gauge should not go much higher or lower unless the thermostat is stuck open, or the radiator cap is damaged or the fan not working.

Think, I'll hold on to idea of thermostat and ride and test it a bit more to get to some conclusion. Will report back if I have encountered any issues. Thanks everyone.

So far in my case idle is smooth and things are stable from carb perspective. Did it improve after you fixed carb issue?

Yes, 100% the temps starting acting normally. In my case the engine was running so poorly it was not getting up to temp. It was ride-able, but anything under 3k rpm's was no fun.

Yes, 100% the temps starting acting normally. In my case the engine was running so poorly it was not getting up to temp. It was ride-able, but anything under 3k rpm's was no fun.

How is it doing now? Where does usually your gauge is at? 1/4 or slightly above C or where?

Archived