6Th Gen Countershaft Sprocket: Oem Or Not?

WGREGT

Looks like it's time for my 1st chain/rear sprocket swap on my 6th gen.

On my other bikes, I usually swap out the countershaft sprocket every other time usually? Wondering if you guys do them both, each and every time or not?

Also, I hear the OEM one has a rubber coating or something on it? Worth the extra $ to get the OEM one? $48 USD vs. about $15 for aftermarket. What's the rubber coating (or whatever it is) do for me anyhow?

Thanks. I'm holding off on the order until I hear the WOTL.

• Member Contributer

I like the oem sprocket as it seems to run a bit quieter ,probably because of the coating shimming it out a bit .

• Member Contributer

Never detected any difference between OEM and aftermarket. It is impossible to hear the extra noise (if any) while riding.

I also replace chain along with all sprockets - Get a kit online.

Works like a charm.

• Member Contributer

Always change sprockets & chain as a set. The OEM has a rubber buffer on each side that is supposed to cushion the chain links landing on the sprocket & thus reduce both noise & vibration. I've not noticed any difference, so up to you.

An old trick from my courier days was to buy a chain, one steel rear sprocket & 2 steel front sprockets & change to the second from sprocket at about 50% of the chains use, as its the front sprocket that causes much of the wear, so a new one extends the mileage of the chain !

• Member Contributer

Put on a Sunstar myself. Sunstar makes OEM chains and sprockets. I didn't notice any increase in noise, and saved quite a bit of money going with aftermarket.

• Member Contributer

It was recently pointed out to me that JT also makes a cushioned countershaft sprocket--just after I purchased an OEM one at twice the price, of course!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Put on a Sunstar myself. Sunstar makes OEM chains and sprockets. I didn't notice any increase in noise, and saved quite a bit of money going with aftermarket.

How much do you pay for Sunstar chain and sprockets?

The prices they list on the website aren't cheap at all.

• Member Contributer

Checked Ron Ayers and they want $66 for the stock Honda OEM rear sprocket. $47 for the front.

I go through a local place here in Brownsburg IN called Performance Powersports. they are chain and sprocket gurus...well its what they specialize in. they can be found on ebay. i didnt want to attach a link here since its not my product.

Their prices seem to be much lower than the OEM prices, especially as good as Ron Ayers prices are!

• Member Contributer

You could also try ProCaliber for OEM - front is $41 and rear $57. Shipping is free for orders over $99.

Front

http://www.procaliber.com/oemparts/a/hon/5053f620f870021c54be7d69/transmission

Rear

http://www.procaliber.com/oemparts/a/hon/5053f622f870021c54be7d82/rear-wheel

I picked up my D.I.D. chain on, of all places, Amazon. It was the cheapest I could find anywhere.

• Member Contributer

Don't a lot of US guys use Sprocket Center?

I recently got a great deal on a Regina gold chain/sprocket kit on Amazon UK--it was so cheap they put the price up £40 the next day! Even with me not using the countershaft sprocket (I'd already ordered an OEM) it was still a great deal. Worth having a look.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I use Sprocket Center and non OEM sprockets. One thing I did like about Sprocket Center is that they let me will call an order once. I was in dire need of a chain before going on a ride, so I ask if will call was an option and they said yes. The shop was local to me so it was perfect, picked up the kit and was installed and running in no time, no need to wait for the UPS or Postman to deliver! Not sure if they still allow will call orders but was nice that I could at the time.

• Member Contributer

I used sprocket center for a kit, would recommend them... i bought the rivet tool as well; my first chain change!

Item

520 Conversion Kit - SUPERLITE Steel Sprocket Set with Your Choice of X'ring Chain - HONDA VFR 800 '02-12

SELECT FRONT SPROCKET SIZE

15T

SELECT REAR SPROCKET SIZE

45T

SELECT CHAIN MODEL

MONTHLY SPECIAL - - - RK 520 GXW series Heavy Duty X'ring - GOLD - (1000cc rated)

AFAM EASY-RIV CHAIN PRESS & RIVET TOOL

post-25792-0-68967200-1459971180.jpg

• Member Contributer

I went with an OEM kit from David Silver Spares. About $210 shipped. Not the cheapest, but I got 32K miles out of the original, so decided to stick with it.

It was recently pointed out to me that JT also makes a cushioned countershaft sprocket--just after I purchased an OEM one at twice the price, of course!

Ciao,

Really? I don't see anything about that on their site. So I just wrote them and asked about it.

• Member Contributer

Ciao,

Really? I don't see anything about that on their site. So I just wrote them and asked about it.

I suppose it could be a fake, but check out Item No. 151877008302 on eBay.co.uk.

Ciao,

Oh. 17T is not stock, so I didn't see that one in my search. Last night I ordered this same part number (JTF339) from JT, but in the OEM 16t model. I'll post up when I get it if it's rubberized or not.

• Member Contributer

Is the OEM chain a 520? For some reason, I was thinking it was, and the common, non-OEM set is all 530 stuff.

No, OEM is a 530; I did the 520 conversion and went -1+2 for a little extra oomph. Feels great around town and fine on the highway; some say its buzzy but mine isn't, and I kinda enjoy higher RPM's :goofy:

Archived