Custom Bike Project (Gen5 Engine) Need Help Getting It To Start

Spraintz

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Awesome! Keep the pics coming as you move along with the project!

You'll be the envy of everyone at shows you take that to. You'll fire it up and they'll say "WHOA - wazzat?" :cool: Very cool project. Congrats.

LOL......yup....that was the idear when this thing originally got planned.

Awesome! Keep the pics coming as you move along with the project!

Yessir.....I have every pic of the project from the very start so long ago lol......I'll be sharin em when shes done

• Member Contributer

To me, that looks like 23 (watch from 0:10-0:16), which doesn't seem to exist in the manual. Since 21, 22, and 24 all have to do with the O2 sensor circuit, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you don't have any O2 sensors on the bike. If you used a 98-99 wiring harness, there won't even be connections for this.

• Member Contributer

You may be able to make this go away by using the resistor "trick" employed by most O2 sensor eliminators. You will need to bridge from Bl/W (ECU Pin B8) to the pin that would have the white wire entering (probably A17, can't tell exactly from the diagram) with either a single 1 watt, ~165 ohm resistor or 2x .5 watt, 330 ohm resistors in parallel. I mention it both ways because the .5W 330R are easier to find. The ECU monitors O2 sensor heater circuit.

• Member Contributer

A little off topic, but I've got a couple questions:

1) What are you going to do for a kickstand when you're out riding?

2) I'm curious, what's with the three strips of duct tape on your rear wheel?

Just a regular cruiser kickstand, but will prolly make somethin kinda custom.

As for the tape, I had those on the tire with the centerline marked, so I could confirm that the frame jig I made kept the wheel and head tube on center line.

early shot when I was first gettin the frame together

post-35309-0-08197500-1460171947.jpg

make sense 2FAST?

• Member Contributer

@Spraintz

Now that you've told me why they're there, it makes sense (I've never built a motorcycle before, so that never occurred to me.)

They kind of reminded me of the stripes they used to paint on the rear wheels of Top Fuelers and Funny Cars. They were there because when the crew chief would play back footage of the launch in slow motion, he could see how much rear wheelspin the car had at launch and make whatever adjustments were needed. They don't do that anymore because dragsters now use onboard computers that monitor that.

Good job on your custom bike. Keep the pictures coming until you're done (we'd all like to see them.)

post-8583-0-18971500-1460214131.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I've got similar problem with my '99.  I can get it to run by grounding the green/orange wire to chassis near the ECU.  Runs perfectly but after 100 miles just quits.  Wait a while fiddle a bit and presto it starts up and runs fine. I'm still very perplexed by this.  All elec functions are stock and all function even after it quits, just no fuel. Sounding similar to your issue. All sensors test out perfectly.  A second note;  once the side stand switch is jumpered one can no longer access the troubleshooting function because the bike must be on the side stand.

2wboost, found my issue......I happen to be running a 00/01 ECU with 98/99 harness and that harness was not equipped with the added ignition "security" "features" that the 00/01 ECU was expecting to have........and I have remedied that ;)......as for current codes, once again...the 00/01 ecu is expecting 02 sensors.......and I am not running them, and not much of an issue to me as this bike will be tuned later anyways.

Updates: intake is almost complete, and then the fun of workin on a seat and the tank :D ......but she's gettin there

as for yer issues......

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Very cool, great creativity going on.. .Keep posting!  (Build threads.... oooooh!)

:beer:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Hi everyone.  Seems I have a similar problem with the ignition switch too. I'm doing a front end swap, using an R1 top triple & ignition switch (different mounting to the VFR one). Mine is an 00-01 withthe infamous 'pink wire' that is not shown in my haynes manual.

Can someone please post or PM me the 'cure' please? I want to get the switch mounted before going any further with fitting the front end.

Cheers

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, shaynus said:

Got it sorted, after making a stupid mistake which stumped me until I realised what I had done!

Which was...?

If you're going to ask a question of the community, it's polite to also provide the answer when you find it on your own.

• Member Contributer

Oh, sorry, that was not my intention. I didn't post the 'solution' here as the OP had the same problem and then also didn't post what he did to fix it  - due to concerns people could use the info to 'hot wire' the same model bike, perhaps? - I thought it best (indeed, polite) to do the same.

I did start a thread in the 5th gen section where the answer was posted by another helpful member, along with my rather ham fisted attempt at doing it, but I got there eventually! :-)

• 6 months later...

Archived