Selling

RolandHTG

• Member Contributer

Have to make room for a track bike. Tried my 99 for a track day and did not like getting spanked by all the 600s.

Yesterday I rode her 160 miles to the two closest Honda dealers and tried to trade her in and was rejected. I was not surprised, she's got 145,000 miles on her. One of the salesmen has offered $500. He's a certified mechanic and buys and sells on the side. If anyone here is interested I will post pictures and give a detailed history. It is a long story mostly posted here already.

You may get more for the bike overall if you sell the parts. Nowhere is going to take a 100,000+ mile bike, not for an amount which wouldn't feel like a slap in the face. Hell, you'd struggle to sell an 80,000+ for the same money.

So yeah: Part it out or keep it. Unless you can stomach the low prices you'd get for the whole thing.

Going by memory, and UK prices i've seen:

All Fairing in very good/excellent condition: £200-300

Swing arm: £100

Wheels (both): £80-100

Tank (very good condition) £100 or maybe £50 with dents

Forks: £100

Headlight unit: £50-100

Rear light unit: £50

Engine parts in very good condition may sell well individually.

Standard seat: £50

Seat cowl: £50

Stock exhaust £50

Passenger pegs and mounts: £45

Stock screen £30

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the suggestions and info. I would keep it if I had room in the garage, already 5 in there. Parting out is an option but labor intensive and time consuming. I've already put time in last month rebuilding forks and brakes. At about $.05 per mile I feel like I got my $ worth out of the bike.Would like to get $900 just because it is a fine running bike.

I would get rid of the Concours 14.

That is one of the bikes I have owned which I never cared for. Glad I was able to sell it.

It is an over rated old farts bike with tons of straight line power and not enough lean angle to complete the job.

So many better sport-tourers out there.

• Member Contributer

I would get rid of the Concours 14.

That is one of the bikes I have owned which I never cared for. Glad I was able to sell it.

It is an over rated old farts bike with tons of straight line power and not enough lean angle to complete the job.

So many better sport-tourers out there.

Disagree completely except for the old fart part (I am one) C14 has 90% the handling and fun of the VFR but 130% speed and power and 200% the comfort. I have 160,000 miles on the C14 bought in October 07. The VFR was a great bike, no doubt but the C14 easily relegated it to hot weather commuter mule. On top of that, NOTHING has failed or caused any problem on the C14 vs the years of hassle with the VFR charging system.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Glad to see VFRD back on line. My 99 sold on consignment at an independent bike shop for $1400 of which I netted $1000. I paid $6200 for her in 2001 with 11,000 miles.  She certainly has not been trouble free but never did require any shop time or costly repairs. We've had many good times and miles on the VFR and I feel I definitely got my monies worth. I have also enjoyed this forum very much and appreciate the help and advise offered here. I own(ed) multiple bikes and been on many model specific forums and each has its own tone and flavor but of all of them you guys are the coolest. (The Blackbird forum members were the suckiest)

• Member Contributer

That's an awesome story.  145,000 miles is quite an accomplishment for any bike to reach.

• Member Contributer

I like mine 08 so much I just bought an 09 with 10,000 miles. The 08 is starting to get old, 163,000 miles, it is incredibly reliable and durable but nothing lasts forever.

20160419_121421.jpg

Archived