Pilot Road 4 Gt On A Non-7Th Gen. Vfr

Bent

• Member Contributer

Anyone used a PR 4 GT rear on a VFR? I've been out of riding any kind of bike for 5 years and tires have really changed! I have a new 8th gen and don't need tires yet but typical for me was 2000 miles or less sometimes on a rear doing aggressive twisty riding on two previous VFR's and other go- fast bikes.

I suspect the GT tire has a hard compound for aggressive cornering and would be too easy to slide. Can anyone verify this or give me some good feedback on my question?

So many tires, so few miles from them........so much fun! :wink: Thank you.

I thought the different in the GT was that the side wall was heavier for larger touring bikes. I'm sure one of the tire testers will chime in. You expect to burn the tires off before Tmac? :wink:

• Member Contributer

Although they look similar, the GT and standard Road 4 have a Different carcass, it blends radial and bias technology basically. There are no differences in the compounds. It's overkill on your 8th gen. If you had an FJR, ST1300, K1600 etc it would be the one to have. You won't get any extra mileage and it will be a heavier tire. So that will hurt your mpg, performance, etc slightly with no real upside. Save your money and just get the standard Road 4.

• Member Contributer

Although they look similar, the GT and standard Road 4 have a Different carcass, it blends radial and bias technology basically. There are no differences in the compounds. It's overkill on your 8th gen. If you had an FJR, ST1300, K1600 etc it would be the one to have. You won't get any extra mileage and it will be a heavier tire. So that will hurt your mpg, performance, etc slightly with no real upside. Save your money and just get the standard Road 4.

I thought this would be the case but I don't know everything just yet. ; )

• Member Contributer

I thought the different in the GT was that the side wall was heavier for larger touring bikes. I'm sure one of the tire testers will chime in. You expect to burn the tires off before Tmac? :wink:

You are right on the side walls. Didn't know about the compound but guessed it was the same. I'm just thinking ahead. I'll prolly go with a Dunlop since the front will still be good when the rear wears out and I don't like to mix brands in an area like Franklin.

Yes, I will likely burn up all or most of the rear Dunlop OEM tire before TMAC just in my own backyard twisties. I learned a long time ago not to go to TMAC without either a new or nearly new rear and a very good front tire. Wasn't it you that rode most of the way back home with me one time? If it was, I recall you commenting that I didn't mess around in the fun N. Ga. twisties on the way..... :goofy: The trip going and coming from my driveway to Franklin is loaded with twisties. Just getting to TMAC is fun from my pad.

Get the regular 4s. I have them on the 6th and they're fantastic.

Only reason I would consider a GT on the 6th is if I was going fully loaded touring with a pillion.

Archived