What Does Traction Control "feel" Like?

lazyeye

• Member Contributer

Yesterday I finally got out of the 300mi breakin period and started to open up the bike. It was also wet in some areas and it felt like the engine skipped a beat once or twice during the fast sweepers. I never felt the rear end break loose at all.

Is that what traction control feels like when it kicks in? This is the first bike I've owned that had TC or ABS, so I'm clueless about how it changes my riding in wet weather.

When TC kicks in on mine it makes me think I've stalled... then I realise I had a full fist of the go-juice on so it must have been TC ;) Yes, it's that heavy-handed. The bike will stand-up quickly if it's the TC.

I reckon you're feeling the VTEC transition - like smoke4ndmears said, with light throttle application in higher gears and when you're close to VTEC zone there's a very slight hesitation. It is not as intrusive as TC - enough to go 'that was weird' - just like skipping a beat ;)

• Member Contributer

The only times I've noticed the T/C cut in has been pulling away when the back wheel was on gravel and broken branches, as the wheel started to spin up it cut in and stopped the bike wiggling around, both times it was a definite advantage

300 miles? My service book says 600 miles

As you get the bike settled in its only after 3k miles that you'll really noticed how much it freerer it'll rev, then it's time to pin it in second and hang on when the VTEC cuts in

Mine kicked in when I hit a tar snake at about 40 mph just after a corner, not as drastic as others have mentioned as I was not accelerating as hard they were. I think it will more noticeable under higher power.

i have had mine kick in a few times. and feels like u hit the revlimmiter with out the noise and speed. mine trggerd when taking my bike of the foot path onto the road, and a few other times when or if u hit a good pothole. penty here in the uk

The TC is not well done at all. I always switch it off when heading out to the Autobahn, because a few small bumps on the road are enough to have the TC kick in hard.

The firmware seems to compare front and rear wheel speed without enough plausability checks, so if the front wheel spins a bit slower at full throttle because of bumps, the TC activates, which is complete nonsense. Only a slipping rear wheel should trigger it.

When getting on the Bahn, it might be a part without a speed limit and cars might come by with 200 km/h or more. So I want to accellerate as quickly as possible, and then the TC cutting ignition because the front wheel missed a few revolutions is a safety risk. Has caused sweat to break out more than once..

I'll tell you exactly what the 2015 Honda VFR-800's Traction Control feels like.

It feels like someone at Honda should lose their job over it.

hate to say this but other manafactors of bikes have developed way better systems to honda.

one of 2 things i dont like of vfr the tc and the sodding indictors.

• 2 weeks later...

The TC functionality was clearly an afterthought. The hardware (ABS + ECU controlled ignition) has been available for a long time, it was just a matter of firmware development, testing and certification. They did it in a way that sort of works, but is far too sensitive and worst of all can be triggered by the front wheel losing grip.

I had the TC kick in for the first time the other day. Dry road, overtaking a couple of cars, throttle pinned in third, rolled over a couple of sharp lateral ripples and the TC nearly stopped me in my tracks. Nearly had a heart attack as I was now unnecessarily exposed to danger for longer. The TC is incredibly crude and although I wouldn't turn it off, just in case I hit a bit of mud or something, it's questionable just how much it might help in most of the situations when it's going to kick in. TC in general is a great step forward but this implementation is a crude afterthought to tick a marketing box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...
On 4/8/2016 at 4:44 AM, fuelex said:

I had the TC kick in for the first time the other day. Dry road, overtaking a couple of cars, throttle pinned in third, rolled over a couple of sharp lateral ripples and the TC nearly stopped me in my tracks. Nearly had a heart attack as I was now unnecessarily exposed to danger for longer. The TC is incredibly crude and although I wouldn't turn it off, just in case I hit a bit of mud or something, it's questionable just how much it might help in most of the situations when it's going to kick in. TC in general is a great step forward but this implementation is a crude afterthought to tick a marketing box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

it's more like my sanity check now that I've broken the engine in and done the first oil change.
first gear can float the front for me,  esp. with a more open exhaust layout,  1st gear will spit out the TC,  I haven't had it lose it's shit over bumps yet,  but the first gear chop to airborne front tire is a sure way to nope-town with TC on.
Sad.  but it's nice having it set to anti hoon as I've gotten plenty of tickets for such shenanigans.  
I can also attest that it is really nice in gravels.  I can pin it and it spins up for about a quarter second then fully cuts out as if to say: "Baby no,  what is you doin'?"
Still yet I can't help but grin when I disable the TC altogether.  I know I'm in for a treat.

• Member Contributer

If you're in the UK and have access to BBC On Demand, go to categories, on the 2nd page is Northern Ireland, the NW200 is there in 3 parts

Its real road racing and there are constant references to the riders relying on the TC 

BTW the racing is breath taking, makes the TT look tame

• Member Contributer

I'm sure that the TC that the racers rely on is totally awesome.

The TC that the 8th Gen VFR has been equipped with is a crude piece of crap and in my experience, is more dangerous than it is useful.

The engineers who allowed this out the door ought to fall on their knives.

• Member Contributer

The TC on the R1, ZX10R, Panigale, etc is less intrusive and controlled by the IMU as well as wheel spin sensors. The TC on the 8th gen is intrusive and cuts the engine too much to be useful anywhere besides a stoplight where you might bump the throttle a little too much in the wet.

Archived