Power Commander Maps 05 PCV individual cylinder Dyno Tune

scubastevemccall

• Member Contributer

05 PCV individual cylinder Dyno Tune

Hey guys,

after installing my new complete exhaust system i set the big girl off for a tune.
asked for the guy to tune each cylinder individually.

came back with this..

runs really nice. only thing i might change would be first thing in the morning some times the big will stall when you come off the throttle.

let me know if someone knows how to fix this.

thanks. hope someone enjoys this..

I am at work and don't have resources such as the manual or the software to see your map. Given that, I have read there is a "warm-up" function which overrides the mixture when the engine is cold.

Is everything working correctly? For example, is the wax unit working and high-idling the bike to warm it up? Starter valves tuned? If the bike has had good maintenance, with no snafus during the recent upgrades, and everything is in working order, then along the lines of your concern, maybe it is not rich enough when cold due to the new exhaust, and the warmup function in the PC will cure it.

Generally when tuning, the 0% throttle column is left alone, so the power commander should be irrelevant in this situation.

I would say this has more to do with waiting until the bike is properly warmed up before riding and like knight said, proper starter valve and idle settings.

• Member Contributer

hey guys,

thanks for the feed back. I did not do the tune. i had it done a guy here in Sydney.

its some kind of advanced tune where he edits the table for each cylinder.

As for the Idle i'm not getting the idle jumping up to more than 1200 RPM on start up.

should it be higher? anyone that can help with how to lift this on start up would be great.

I have tried the idle screw on the right side.

thanks.

I wrote to Dynojet and they responded, but they were not quite sure of the problem:

I’m not quite sure I understand the problem description. It sounds like it is decelerating down to a stall, but only when running cold.

If this problem is only happening while running the bike cold, I might try adding some more fuel with the Start-Up Fuel Adjustment feature to see if it has any effect on the problem.

If the problem doesn’t change with engine temperature, I might assume something different entirely.

I have no way to view the map file or post on the topic; but you are welcome to post my responses, if you like.

What is your ambient temperature on a typical day when you ride? The sixth gen owners can chime in on how the wax unit operates in those conditions.

I don't see how you can individually tune each cylinder without 4 wide band o2 sensors.

Any ways, if you want more rpm at start up, give the wax unit one more turn on the adjustment screw.

It would also be a good idea to balance the starter valves while you are in there.

I have my wax unit set up to where it is opening the starter valves at anything less than 150*F. After my engine coolant reaches 150*F my idle will return to base idle.

• Member Contributer

Do you need to have the Autotune installed with the PCV to use this map? I have a Two Bros exhaust and improved air filter, otherwise stock and my gas mileage is awful @ 20mpg. thinking I'm just running rich.

I just bought the bike in November and might try this map if not having Autotune won't be a problem.

I found out the PCV that came with the bike was inop and just got & installed a new one (Dynotune replaced it no prob!) with the M16-005-006 map which improved performance, just gotta log more miles to see what my MPG is.

at 20 mpg, something is really wrong unless you are just full WOT all day every day. I would load a zero map, zero out all the settings (accelerator pump, warm up enrichment etc...) and see if it gets better. 20 mpg sounds like the previous owner did something very stupid with the powercommander.

no you do not need an autotune to load the map, just the pcV it self. Even if you had a powercommander 3, you could still run the pcv map, you would just have to punch in the table manually and interpolate some of the cells....

• Member Contributer

Yeah something wrong at 20mpg. The common failure mode for the fuel pressure regulator is perforation of the diaphragm leading to fuel leakage into the manifold via the vacuum line. You may want to run the bike for a while and then disconnect the FPR vaccum line and check for wetness from fuel. This may be related to your stalling issue. Vacuum will spike under overrun/engine braking conditions which would in-turn suck a bunch of fuel down into the manifold.

Otherwise, I agree with CRRC on the zero map. It is quite simple to plug the pc-v into a computer and upload a zero map. I would check for your stalling issue under conditions of zero map with pc-v connected and also with the pc-v totally disconnected - just reattach the fuel injection sub-harness back to the main harness without the pc-v between. Something odd is going on and the pc-v complicates the troubleshooting.

• Member Contributer

Thanks - I didn't mean to hijack ScubaSteve's thread - the PCV fixed most of the bad mpg prob. Just refueled after one tank - got 150 miles on it, at @ 33 mpg with the Dynojet map.

Question still stands on the autotune - ScubaSteve - do you have one?

I downloaded the map to my laptop, and will try it in a couple of weeks. Hoping some other VFRD'ers provide some good feedback in the meantime.

There are a lot of maps on the download page here, but many are for PCIII. Always looking to tweak for performance and/or economy.

If you want the best performance and economy, have your own map custom made on a dyno or do it yourself with auto tune. Using someone else's map will always be a compromise, as no two bikes are exactly the same.

• 1 year later...

Hi,
 I tried, via interpolation, this map on a pc3 USB. 

( Excluding the 15% throttle position column ).
It works like a charm.  On my 2003 it feels very progressive and smooth and so strong at high rpms.... I don't want to come back !
Over all I appreciate the smoothness, the quality of acceleration, and least but not last, the cooler engine!
Thank you for sharing this !
Greetings from The Alps

Archived