Out 2014 Vfr800F, In 2015 Crossrunner 800

inztigator

• Member Contributer

Sweet. How do you find the differences between the 2 models? I would imagine most folk would be interested in why. :beer:

I assume the riding position is more user friendly. How does the handling compare, and do you know if a pipe from the 800F will fit the 800X?

Did you ride a Yamaha Tracer?

VFR800F was too hard on my wrists, backside and kideneys where as the Crossrunner was an absolute winner!

Upright riding position was the key! No more what so ever. Handling is slightly different as you are upright, and feel taller, but it handles just as well as the VFR800F. The downside is the wind buffeting is not as great, but can probably be fixed with a taller screen.

800F and 2015 800X are identical wrt chassis and engine, so pipes should fit both. The rear hugger I had on the VFR800F went onto the Crossrunner with no issue.

In addition, the Crossrunner has 2 levels of traction control and all round LED lights.

Yeah, I test rode the Yamaha Tracer. Not bad, but found the throttle to be quite sensitive and the build quality of the VFR's felt superior to the Tracer ;)

VFR800F was too hard on my wrists, backside and kideneys where as the Crossrunner was an absolute winner!

Upright riding position was the key! No more what so ever. Handling is slightly different as you are upright, and feel taller, but it handles just as well as the VFR800F. The downside is the wind buffeting is not as great, but can probably be fixed with a taller screen.

800F and 2015 800X are identical wrt chassis and engine, so pipes should fit both. The rear hugger I had on the VFR800F went onto the Crossrunner with no issue.

In addition, the Crossrunner has 2 levels of traction control and all round LED lights.

Yeah, I test rode the Yamaha Tracer. Not bad, but found the throttle to be quite sensitive and the build quality of the VFR's felt superior to the Tracer ;)

I've got an MT09. The fueling is a bit twitchy...

• 3 weeks later...

I recently purchased a 2015 VFR 800 X to replace my much loved 2014 VFR1200 which had been taken down by a Kangaroo on my Sunday ride.I could not find a replacement for the insurance payout but found a good deal on the 800. I have clocked up 5300 klm so far,I was slightly disappointed in the power /torque difference between the two bikes. On longer rides (500 klm plus) the 800 is more comfortable and is more easier to throw around in the corners. The front Pirelli Scorpian trail was worn out on the sides at 5100 klm possibly due to the higher temperatures in our area and slightly enthusiastic riding, strangely the rear is still good with half wear. The LED lights are great.I am fitting a GIVI topbox for touring. I intend on a trip to Far North QLD in August which should give me a good indicater on it's potential.

• Member Contributer

I recently purchased a 2015 VFR 800 X to replace my much loved 2014 VFR1200 which had been taken down by a Kangaroo on my Sunday ride.I could not find a replacement for the insurance payout but found a good deal on the 800. I have clocked up 5300 klm so far,I was slightly disappointed in the power /torque difference between the two bikes. On longer rides (500 klm plus) the 800 is more comfortable and is more easier to throw around in the corners. The front Pirelli Scorpian trail was worn out on the sides at 5100 klm possibly due to the higher temperatures in our area and slightly enthusiastic riding, strangely the rear is still good with half wear. The LED lights are great.I am fitting a GIVI topbox for touring. I intend on a trip to Far North QLD in August which should give me a good indicater on it's potential.

The difference in torque/power between the 800 and 1200 is quite stark but it's good to hear more positive comments regarding the upright VFR.

And welcome! :beer:

• 6 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Well....I just test rode a late-'15 model VFR800X Crossrunner and am very seriously thinking about swapping out the 6th Gen for one.

On both my 6th & 7th Gens, the weight on my hands causes some loss of feeling after a while. I can take more weight on my knees/core muscles but it's all too easy to relax back and put all my weight on my hands. So a change to a more upright riding position is probably in order (I WILL NOT get rid of the 1200 though....she has far too many good points for a little bit of numbness to matter).

I was surprised when the salesman told me the X is the same engine as the 6th Gen NOT the 8th Gen and tbh, the crankcases are different to the 8th Gen that was parked next to it and much more like my 6th Gen, albeit it is quite heavily modified (front rads, 1500rpm idle but it PULLS from 1500rpm, more torque etc etc).

Suspension was waaaay too soft for me. On the bumpier roads it felt like I was po-going along but that might have been alleviated by some adjustment. Brakes....superb, Tokicho like the 1200 but fewer pots. Mirrors - the best standard ones I've ever ridden with. It took some time to adjust to the seating position, especially the wide bars and how that affected how the steering felt, which seemed to be very loose & twitchy but that was probably down to me as when I got back on the 1200 to come home, it felt like it was so stiff it wouldn't steer at all!

And the main thing....no numb hands at all.

She shifts when you rev her hard, the Vtec transition is almost unnoticeable and the low rev response is superior to my heavily modified 6th Gen.

There aren't many around, no more red available in the UK and very few white (the only 2 colours) due to the earthquakes in Japan which have hit large motorcycle production very hard.

Hmmmmmm..........

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Enjoy, looks good.  Let us know how comfy it is !?

Riding position is easier for those of us the wrong side of 50. The seat seems fine to me but I only need to sit on it for 45mins or so at a time.

The suspension will need to be upgraded.

On 10/1/2016 at 9:25 PM, Skids said:

I was surprised when the salesman told me the X is the same engine as the 6th Gen NOT the 8th Gen and tbh, the crankcases are different to the 8th Gen that was parked next to it and much more like my 6th Gen, albeit it is quite heavily modified (front rads, 1500rpm idle but it PULLS from 1500rpm, more torque etc etc).

The salesman got it seriously wrong! The 2015 Crossrunner has the exact same engine as the 8th Gen VFR800. I know, because I owned both bikes, and I own the service manuals for both :)

• Member Contributer
On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 10:15 AM, inztigator said:

The salesman got it seriously wrong! The 2015 Crossrunner has the exact same engine as the 8th Gen VFR800. I know, because I owned both bikes, and I own the service manuals for both :)

Yeah, I think I put in another post (must be in another thread) that it was incorrect information from my local guy.

The 2015/15 CR has the same engine as the 15/16 800F. And you can tell.

• Member Contributer
On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 10:15 AM, inztigator said:

Service manual for the 800X?

You have a PM.

Archived