Single Nut Conversion Vfr800 Hrc Rc45 Style - One More:-)

VFRRR

Hi,

I have been looking into making a single nut conversion for the Honda VFR800, because I like the way that it cleans up the rear of the bike and allow me to use other wheels, from a Ducati or other single sided swingarm bike.

I will do it on my VFR800 which is now being rebuild from a damaged bike, and taking form. more stuff is to be done to this bike:-) forks, rear end clocks(CBR1000RR) fairing for a CBR1000RR also, so many things are getting done.

The single nut conversion I was thinking of doing like the RC45 HRC axle and nut with left hand thread M46 and with a nut the same as the RC45 HRC one with 56 mm socket.

I have done it like BLS, Larry did on his RC45. Making an insert for the NC30/35 axle, press fitted and welded to the NC30 axle.

On my bike I am using a NC30 axle, you can use a NC35 also.

So if anybody else than me, is interested in this conversion, I took delivery this Saturday, of 8 sets of single nut conversions. It where cheaper for me to get all eight than just two sets for me and a friend. price for each set where 80 £ UK. Just the HRC RC45 nut is around 95 £ UK each from Honda.

I have the threaded part for the axle and the 46 mm nut with left hand thread. Price is depending on whether you do your own axle or send one and I send one back to you finished ready for you to install.

If anybody is interested in these give me a PM.

I will also do a lightweight rear brake, as I have made for my RC45. It's using an ISR caliper and disc and my own holder.I will try to get some pictures up today.

A few pictures are uploaded.

IMG_1631.jpg

IMG_1634.jpg

IMG_1635.jpg

IMG_1632.jpg

IMG_1636.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Sebspeed

you will need to use the sprocket carrier from the nc30/35 reverse or do a cush drive like Mohawk and HighSideNZ have done. Using a sprocket carrier for the Ducati. HighSideNZ have som really nice drawings on his thread about the conversion.

thread are on this link:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/81706-single-nut-rear-axle-conversion-6th-gen/

and no problem for me, if you do your own welding, it's a lot cheaper than sending an axle across the world:-)

And now for the brake system, I will have on my bike..

I mentioned in my first post in this thread, that I will have a very light weight rear brake on my bike. I have made the rear brake system for my RC45 years ago.

The brake system consist of a caliper from ISR, Sweden, which is very light, 240 gr. with pads, a disc also from ISR made to order and the brackets, which I made for it.

The total weight for it is 900 gr. and it is capable of stopping the RC45 as road bike, maybe with a weight loss of approx. 10-12 kg.

caliper

caliperholder

disc

holder mounted

I do not have the weight for the standard rear caliper, so I do not know how much weight it will save on my bike.
Other mods I am working on right now is a complete rebuild of the rear end, using my own subframe and a Honda RS125 race tail (pictures soon)
Edited by VFRRR
  • Like 2

Welcome to the Single Nut Club (and I do not mean Lance Armstrong)!

Can't wait to see the pics of your wheelset and the mounted rear brake. Very nice work!

• 2 weeks later...

Some pictures of my new subframe project. Two 10 mm side frame parts water cut in aluminium. Rear end from a Honda RS125...

I need to change the wiring loom and routing of it. The plan for are, that the battery will be moved up front or on side of the bike and front radiators mounted.

Is there anybody who has experience with the NC30/35 radiators and fitment - will they be sufficient for this bike?

subframe rails

I just need now to work out where to cut out some holes in the sides.... to lighting them more

rear cowl

seat unit

Edited by VFRRR
  • Like 2

thank you very much :biggrin: and yes it hat to come out now :rolleyes:

I still need to make up the compartment between the two sides, so the ECU and other electrical stuff can be inside there

• 1 month later...

Hi,

short update: it's been a while since my last post -  we have moved houses, and it's first now that I am getting my workshop ready to work in.

For now the rear axle is getting welded at a workshop near me and I am looking at getting the rear subframe ready for welding.

I got a set of Honda VTR1000SP1 forks this week, know I need a set of triples for it. I will start on a new front fairing holder soon.

Anybody have som experince with moving the radiators up front, instead of the orignal place on the side of the bike? any advice is appreciated:-)

• 3 weeks later...

so the rear axle with the axle insert is ready and tried in the hub.

At the same time the light weight rear brake are tried. I am thinking of taking rear master from a Honda CRF250, because there is a integrated reservoir and they are cheap. anybody tried that?

IMG_1781.JPG

IMG_1782.JPG

IMG_1783.JPG

IMG_1784.JPG

I am not sure, an engineer I know, who make steelconstruction will say it will hold the wheel and axle insert in place. It is also pressfitted into the axle. I have also torque the wheel at 280 Nm, as per the HRC manual for the RC45 rear wheel. So I will try and keep an eye on it and see.

• Member Contributer

Where did you get that torque figure for the RC45 ?  Thats a pretty big number @ 206lb/ft !

The left side of the axle is only 120lb/ft (162nm) & the right side of the standard through bolt single nut is 84-90lb/ft (122nm)

• Member Contributer

PS re the CRF250 M/C they only have a 10mm piston, so will work with a single piston caliper, but probably NOT well with that opposed piston caliper.

By the way what caliper is that ? Looks sweet :)

last things first - I will try the master, because the caliper have small pistons, so I think the pressure it can deliver will be sufficient for that setup to work. the caliper is from ISR, Sweden, made for my setup.

The torque data comes from the HRC RC45 manual for the HRC axle. See the pictures of the manual. and the torque is 202 lb-ft.

IMG_1792.JPG

IMG_1793.JPG