Quick Shifter Experiences

Shinigami

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

It's cos you yanks like naming things.

Cbr hurricane, where as the rest of the world calls it a Cbr, same with the Vfr, ninja, etc.

Makes you feel big and important.

Cbr hurricane, where as the rest of the world calls it a Cbr, same with the Vfr, ninja, etc.

You're entitled to an opinion, but I think you might consider keeping it to yourself.

The specific things I want to know are, has anyone encountered missed shifts when not engaging the quick shifter at WOT, or experienced any transmission issues in use.

• Member Contributer

Touchy indeed.

It's a forum I don't think anyone else has taken it that seriously or personally bar yourself. It was all meant as a bit of fun whilst we were waiting for an answer from yourself following my question. If anyone else is personally offended please say so and I will apologise.

"that for this application, long-term transmission wear and or damage can occur when the QS is not used at WOT. Was wondering if anyone has run into any issues."

So what have you heard about this and from where? Some evidence would be nice to read.

Your use oft he terminology WIde open throttle is incorrect as you are implying the quick shifter is only to be used at max throttle openings.

I briefly explained how the system works in my post.

I have had no issues and hopefully I won't as I usually don't use the clutch on up shifts except from 1 to 2

I use my QS both with throttle wilde open / high revs as with more moderate behaviour. I don't use it at very low rpm, let say below 4k.

Never had any issues with it.

• 2 weeks later...

WOT.. Full throttle.. *twisting tongue*..

Why not use our nice term "Vollgas"? :>)

But remember, that V is pronounced like an F.

Anyway, I like the quickshifter, but it's a bit sensitive, so it's easy to enter Neutral by mistake when shifting from 1st to 2nd.

• 7 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Is it me, or is the toe part of the shifter too short?  I had the dealer install it and I've only had the bike for a week, but I constantly find myself hunting for the shifter and have a hard time getting my toe under it when I do find it.  I guess it's due to the footpegs being angled slightly backward, and the shifter being parallel to the bike.  And not a bigfoot either...US size 9.  Anyone else have this issue?

IMG_0033.JPG

• Member Contributer
On 3/8/2016 at 0:08 PM, fink said:

That's because we ARE big and important - in fact we're hugely big and yugely important :)

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, NVR2L8 said:

Is it me, or is the toe part of the shifter too short?  I had the dealer install it and I've only had the bike for a week, but I constantly find myself hunting for the shifter and have a hard time getting my toe under it when I do find it.  I guess it's due to the footpegs being angled slightly backward, and the shifter being parallel to the bike.  And not a bigfoot either...US size 9.  Anyone else have this issue?

IMG_0033.JPG

Think may just need to get used to it.  Had same prob when first installed no problem after a few hours in saddle 

Concerns about longevity are potentially valid.  I have heard that some bikes don't like quick shifters, two come to mind 848's and RC51's.  Now with that said they are bikes that never had them in the first place.  I've heard (as in I don't have first hand experience, I don't want to go through that again)  as RC's get older and higher mileage they are less and less happy about the quickshifter.  I would love to have one on my track bike as the RC needs all the help it can get running against new lighter/faster machines.

• 2 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 11:07 AM, NVR2L8 said:

IMG_0033.JPG

I likely have the smallest feet on this forum, Size 6.5 aus which is a 39.5 euro. I usually wear a 40-41 with thick socks.

I haven't had any issues using the standard or quick shifter from day one. Maybe your foot is too far back on the peg?

I had the quick shifter included with the sports pack - my first experience using a quick shifter, felt odd to me at first but got used to it and never had any issues, although I've only done approx 800 miles on it !
Question: am I correct that it can only be used going from 2nd to 3rd and upwards ? Sure I read that somewhere before I got it so never tried 1st to 2nd !?

• Member Contributer
On March 9, 2016 at 0:42 PM, fink said:

Touchy indeed.

It's a forum I don't think anyone else has taken it that seriously or personally bar yourself. It was all meant as a bit of fun whilst we were waiting for an answer from yourself following my question. If anyone else is personally offended please say so and I will apologise.

"that for this application, long-term transmission wear and or damage can occur when the QS is not used at WOT. Was wondering if anyone has run into any issues."

So what have you heard about this and from where? Some evidence would be nice to read.

Your use oft he terminology WIde open throttle is incorrect as you are implying the quick shifter is only to be used at max throttle openings.

I briefly explained how the system works in my post.

I have had no issues and hopefully I won't as I usually don't use the clutch on up shifts except from 1 to 2

You seem to feel the need to use, "you're touchy", "you're thin skinned", "nobody else took it personally" lines fairly often here and on another forum.  Perhaps you should examine your posts and you might objectively (if you are able to be that way) conclude the "thin skin" isn't with the other people.  As far as The United States of America being big and important, it is, and that comment concerning The United States of America first came from you for some reason.  Problem with The United States of America?  Maybe the fundamental problem is......you.

Concerning Quickshifters, something for everyone.  Personally, I enjoy shifting manually.  On a "super bike" I can see a need.  Over and out, I hope.  Everyone have a nice day.  Tomorrow will have a high of 70° and sunny so I'll be out.   

• Member Contributer

I don't think anyone would ever deny the US is big, it is.

What I tend to find is that inhabitants of older countries don't take it to heart too much when others rib our countries, Scots are mean, Irish are dumb, Welsh have a penchant for sheep penetration (normally, but not always without the consent of the sheep) etc, etc.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Nelix said:

I don't think anyone would ever deny the US is big, it is.

What I tend to find is that inhabitants of older countries don't take it to heart too much when others rib our countries, Scots are mean, Irish are dumb, Welsh have a penchant for sheep penetration (normally, but not always without the consent of the sheep) etc, etc.

LOL.....poor sheep!  Where's the sheep dog during all this?   I've spent enough time overseas, a lot actually, to know how Americans are viewed.  I can certainly take that stereotype.  We earned it.  

• Member Contributer

I've never quite understood how quick shifters work. Is it with compressed air? If so, where are you guys mounting the compressor & air tank?

I'm thinking it will help me out while drag racing.

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, Bent said:

You seem to feel the need to use, "you're touchy", "you're thin skinned", "nobody else took it personally" lines fairly often here and on another forum.  Perhaps you should examine your posts and you might objectively (if you are able to be that way) conclude the "thin skin" isn't with the other people.  As far as The United States of America being big and important, it is, and that comment concerning The United States of America first came from you for some reason.  Problem with The United States of America?  Maybe the fundamental problem is......you.

Concerning Quickshifters, something for everyone.  Personally, I enjoy shifting manually.  On a "super bike" I can see a need.  Over and out, I hope.  Everyone have a nice day.  Tomorrow will have a high of 70° and sunny so I'll be out.   

Wow another few weeks and that would have been a year ago that was posted. 

:schla15:

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, MysteryRider246 said:

I've never quite understood how quick shifters work. Is it with compressed air? If so, where are you guys mounting the compressor & air tank?

I'm thinking it will help me out while drag racing.

Basically they momentarily cut "power"to the drive at the Ecu so the pressure is eased on the gearbox allowing you to change gear without using the clutch whilst stilll having the throttle open. 

or another way, electronically closing the throttle to allow you to do a clutchless upshift but far quicker off throttle time. 

• Member Contributer

I get it now.

I was thinking that it shifted for you similar to how an air shifter works at the touch of a button.

They seem rather expensive for something that only cuts the ignition momentarily.

Having lived with the quick shifter for a year now, then I am happy to comment.  I don't usually use it for first to second, nor when just ambling around, works best when accelerating, otherwise you can use the gear change and clutch as normal.  Worked well when chasing bigger bikes on a run out!

I tried a BMW R1200RS Sport SE, now that quick shift worked much better, slicker and you could use in on downshifts, it blipped the throttle (nice!)  So the Honda one is OK, but limited and not really worth the investment, its a 'nice to have'  but like a lot of things with the bike (traction control?) it seems a bit of an after thought and not fully integrated.

BTW, having ridden the BMW, I thought the Honda to be far more involving, so I didn't trade up.  i just need a an extra 20bhp and some decent electronics, C'mon Honda

2 hours ago, fink said:

A few folk I know who have tested the BMW said the same thing about the shifter and general better all round package 

I really like my R1200RS. The clutchless shifter is very smooth, but not great between 1st and 2nd. 

IMG_0955.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 18/11/2016 at 3:07 AM, NVR2L8 said:

IMG_0033.JPG

Measured them up today. The quick shifter lever is actually longer than the std lever.

IMG_0269.JPG

IMG_0270.JPG

IMG_0271.JPG

Archived