Quick Shifter Experiences

Shinigami

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My one doesn't have any problems so far, but it might be too early to say that with only 3000 km on the bike. For those who think the quick shifter is not useful on the roads; I don't really agree, as I do constantly use it, yet keep the bike under the speed limits. It compensates lack of hp and provides me to keep away from the traffic quickly. Perhaps I should say that the quick shifter is not so practical for supersport bikes riding on the road. However, it does fit the VFR very well and makes the VFR in parallel with those supersport bikes in terms of acceleration.

No issues. Pin the throttle and rip through the gears for slick v-tec experience. Good fun when the roads are clear on the straight or twisties and I'm in the mood for it.

i agree, Got mine after speaking to another 2014 owner. Asked him if he was getting pain in his hands riding the bike and operating the clutch. He pointed to the quickshifter and said get one of these and that is 50% of your problem over, I did and its ace :wheel: . 5000 miles and no problems. Still get sore hands though but that is just the onset of arthritis :angry:

Where abouts in this great country are you garyr?

Have you tried dropping your lever height?

Hi fink, I live in Aberdeen. Hands get sore no matter what bike i am on, Might have a play with the levers though this afternoon :fing02: .

Only occasionally forgetting to take pressure off shifter, senior moment when engine stutters.

i have this to when using the gears with clutch old school. But i use the quick shifter most of the time now. well happy with it.

I installed the Sport Pack that included the quick shifter. Main reason for doing this however, was the Akra exhaust and the rear hugger. To my own surprise I really enjoy the quick shifter the most. It's big fun on fast acceleration, fully opened throttle and shifting through the gears. But also at more relaxed operation, it's convenient to not always having to use the clutch (which doesn't operate as light as desired).

I'm very happy with it!

I think it is a very funny system, I like it, but i had a problem with it.

I was on a track and in the turn left i slide it on the ground two or three times. The result was the brake of it. Honda don't make this part as a change in case of broken. I have to buy another one quickshift, but I don't spend another one 200 euros, so i removed it from my bike :(

sorry for my english

post-32169-0-21110000-1457091505.jpg

Can be fixed. The shifter tang snapped off when the bike rolled off the stand. Don't ask. But a mate drilled and tapped the shifter leg where it was broken off to insert a suitable length Allen key head bolt, slipped the rubber cushion in and loctited it into place. Saved me having to spring for a new one. And got me home. This was while out riding and John, a mechanic at a motor shop in woodville fixed it in 15 mins during his lunch break. Cost me a 12 pack of beer. If you in the area and need help John at Agnew motors is the man to see.

Wish Honda had made a motocross style folding tang. Guess we need to carry the stock shifter lever in the tool kit!

I think it is a very funny system, I like it, but i had a problem with it.

I was on a track and in the turn left i slide it on the ground two or three times. The result was the brake of it. Honda don't make this part as a change in case of broken. I have to buy another one quickshift, but I don't spend another one 200 euros, so i removed it from my bike :(

sorry for my english

Your English is great, don't worry. Do you mean the shifter peg actually touched the track several times while leaning?

• Member Contributer

That looks as if it has impacted on something as opposed to touch down. The hero blobs would have touched first then the centre stand.

If it has touched down it would have shifted up.

yes it slides the ground..the first time the only part broken was the part that we touch with the boot to shift the gear. So i made an hole in the shift peg and with a screw a bolt and a piece of rubber I replaced the broken part.

One week later I return to the track and i had the same problem, but this time the problem was the photo I posted. I try to straighten it but it broke in 3 part

A little detail, I had removed the limiter under the Footpegs to bend the bike some degrees over the standard limit, this is probably the cause that made the shift sliding on the ground

post-32169-0-95091800-1457126214.jpeg

The reason I asked, is that I've heard that for this application, long-term transmission wear and or damage can occur when the QS is not used at WOT. Was wondering if anyone has run into any issues.

• Member Contributer

WOT. What is that? Full throttle is that what you are trying to say? Or just partial throttle.

Where have you heard that then? How can wear and damage occur and if so what ? It's a mechanical/ electrical device so doesn't work until pressure is applied a bit like the brakes

Any throttle position where drive is provided is classed as acceleration. Acceleration which we all known is drive. The system momentarily cuts drive, so pressure on the gear box is eased ( same as rolling off momentarily but quicker) it then allows another gear to be selected.

WOT. What is that? Full throttle is that what you are trying to say? Or just partial throttle.

Where have you heard that then? How can wear and damage occur and if so what ? It's a mechanical/ electrical device so doesn't work until pressure is applied a bit like the brakes

Any throttle position where drive is provided is classed as acceleration. Acceleration which we all known is drive. The system momentarily cuts drive, so pressure on the gear box is eased ( same as rolling off momentarily but quicker) it then allows another gear to be selected.

WOT is an acronym for "wide open throttle". It is a pretty universal term such that it even has a wiki article, vs. "full throttle" which does not.

• Member Contributer

Got to remember this is an international forum and terms and language is different from country to country.

Besides full throttle has a video game named after it. All be it not a cool one.

I Sussed what it meant straight away before I posted. Have to say in 30 odd years of biking the only times I have heard it used is on the North American continent.

Full throttle sounds way better than wide open throttle. Giving it the beans is even better

• Member Contributer

Have no idea probably some where in southern England eons ago.

Agree our friends over the water love their acronyms don't they

Archived