Runny Nose While Riding; What Do You Do?

burnes45

• Member Contributer

Title says it all. Riding Yesterday here in North Florida the pollen is going strong. My nose just let loose about 50 miles from home, running like a faucet. Very distracting and making a mess. Finally stuffed some tissue in my nostrils and made it home to some drugs. What do you do? Did not know what forum to post this in but knew I was not the only one this has happened to.

• Member Contributer

My sinuses gush as soon as it gets cold. I open my face plate and smear it all over with my glove fingers. :excl2:

I find the modular helmet helpful too. :ph34r:

• Member Contributer

Funny! I had this exact problem on a cold and rainy ride this past weekend. I think your tissue nostril plugs and anti-histamines are about the best one can do. Although, obviously, in hindsight taking the drugs before the ride rather than after would be preferred.

I always take decongestant and/or allergy meds before going riding. Afrin (occasional use) or something like Flonase spray helps sometimes too and take that with me. Also, I make sure I take antihistamine eyedrops with me too. Cram all that in my jacket pockets with couple paper towels and ready to go. Generally keeps me from having major meltdowns while out. Although, occasionally I do have to pull over and stop to clear everything out but taking all that before going generally works.

• Member Contributer

Now we're getting to the nitty gritty of it, but as I've grown older, I've started stashing actual cloth handkerchiefs in all my pockets and backpacks. Also, I'm a huge fan of the farmer's blow. But both of those are going to work a lot better if you also spring for the modular like others mentioned. I haven't done that yet myself, but if I couldn't keep my hayfever under control with Claritin, I'd probably go that route.

• Member Contributer

Used to clean the inside of my helmet when I got home.

Now I have a modular.... don't ride behind me.

+1 and allergy meds..........

I agree with all these suggestions! Just make sure the allergy medications you're taking before a ride are NON-DROWSY. I know this may be obvious for most, but feel it should be said. Modular and farmer blows will get it done most of the time!!

Added a small spring to my hydration tube. I release it from my mouth and it springs up, right into the left nostril. Then I press the vacuum switch. If I need to clean the right nostril I merely set the vacuum to max. (That's dangerous if done for more than a brief time.)

This ingenious system both cleans out the sinuses and refills the hydration pack at the same time.

• Member Contributer

Added a small spring to my hydration tube. I release it from my mouth and it springs up, right into the left nostril. Then I press the vacuum switch. If I need to clean the right nostril I merely set the vacuum to max. (That's dangerous if done for more than a brief time.)

This ingenious system both cleans out the sinuses and refills the hydration pack at the same time.

I almost spit my teeth out I laugh so hard .

• Member Contributer

When it gets really bad I have a technique the works quite well. I open my face shield, turn my head to the side and let the flow run. It tracks across my cheek and into my ear, where it is stored until I stop. With enough time it evaporates or gets absorbed. Without that time I just tip my head and hop on one foot and it runs out onto the ground quite readily.

Another alternative for the long of tongue: just lick your upper lip.
YMMV

• Member Contributer

Columbian Flu?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=columbian+flu

I had to look it up.

No. I do not have that kind of money. Back in the 70's I saw too many friends fall by the wayside on that.

Hmmmmm. I guess I have a little different take on life and motorcycling.

I've been fully covered in bug guts when I've driven through a swarm of mayflies. I've been splattered with the internal organs of both birds and bunnies that I've hit. I've been splashed with feces when the mud puddle I rode through turned out to be a leaking sewer line. I've been covered with some unknown fluid when the tanker truck in front of me had a leak spraying a mist all over that I drove through to get ahead of the mess.

I don't know where you guys ride, but snot is the least of my worries. Stick a finger in a nostril and blow hard, do the same on the other side, keep riding. Inside my helmet, modular shield up, I don't care. I don't care to take the time to pull over dig out a hankie. I'll wash my hands when I get to work, or not.

But I'm the same guy who has gutted a deer while eating a ham sammich and drinking a beer. YMMV.

• Member Contributer

Hmmmmm. I guess I have a little different take on life and motorcycling.

I agree. It seems to me that there is a degree of over-civilization in our daily living going on. Probably driven by capitalist hankie sellers and the like.

Think about what the settlers crossing the prairie managed to get by with. Or the arctic explorers/adventurists lived with. I think I rarely get sick because I've eaten so much dirt.

• Member Contributer

But I'm the same guy who has gutted a deer while eating a ham sammich and drinking a beer. YMMV.

Harsh. Couldn't you have waited until the deer had finished eating? :wacko:

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Harsh. Couldn't you have waited until the deer had finished eating? :wacko:

Ciao,

Or at least ask if you could share some of it's beer.

Archived