Runny Nose While Riding; What Do You Do?

burnes45

• Member Contributer

I do credit you a lot for that. The two deer guttings I delivered left a mess everywhere. Guts and feces on my left book with the second one. I went over the second one. A following semi turned into deer burger for me. So I also am not so concerned with getting dirty.

Keep up the good work Lee.

• Member Contributer

Looks like I need to get a modular helmet and let it fly!! On the serious note are the Modular helmets as safe? Have never worn one or looked into them. They do seem very convenient.

• Member Contributer

Looks like I need to get a modular helmet and let it fly!! On the serious note are the Modular helmets as safe? Have never worn one or looked into them. They do seem very convenient.

I do not know about safe or safer. But I have crash tested at least four modular helmets. (Insert crash-test dummy jokes here. Perhaps I could go into business. Not.) None have failed. The first deer-crashed helmet hit the pavement at probably 50 - 60 mph.

Last fall I went off roading at HogTie. When I stood up and opened the chin piece it came apart from the helmet; but the chin piece was still latched when I stood up. The hinges were broken but the chin piece did it's job. And I'm still wearing modular type helmets. "I won't be testing any more", he said hopefully.

I agree with MaxSwell, I doubt you'll find any studies that purport modulars to be safer than a comparable full-face helmet. For me it was about convenience. I wear corrective glasses and, for me, the ease of putting my helmet on and off without messing with my glasses greatly outweighs the potential, perceived increased risk of injury. I had a fairly minor crash at SumSum3 that scratched the hell out of my faceshield, but I was uninjured.

Back to snot... I've always felt the "snort and swallow" crowd are just pulling the irritating agent further into their sinuses and prolonging their agony. When I had my full face helmet, I would open the face shield and blow. It would go down the front of my suit... I don't care, there are always bug guts there anyway.... or on the inside of my helmet. I would wipe it out at the end of the ride if it got too gross. Antihistamines give me the jitters and I have to be pretty bad off to consider taking them. I wouldn't ride if I was taking anithistamines, but I know most people don't react to them that way.

• Member Contributer

Nobody for swimmer style nose plugs?

Not me, but...

I suppose the internal pressure would not be good. :goofy:

Yeah. It would back up until it came out your ears. But if you are wearing ear plugs, who knows where it will come out. I wonder, would convert to tears and roll down your cheeks? Looks like there is no way to get around the mess.

I used to carry a hankie but that just led to wet pants pockets!

• Member Contributer

if you think your buggers are bad have I got one for everyone.

when I was 16 or so I just got my mc permit. unfortunately I also used to get nose bleeds for no reason, I had a sensitive nose in those days, it was worse when it was cold.

so I am out ridding with a buddy in October which around he can get cold. riding along I sneezed in my full face helmet, let me tell you I had to pull over and clean that up, could not see out my lens as it was covered in blood. I looked over to my buddy and he thought I got shot in the back of the head.

14 years later we still laugh about it.

• Member Contributer

when I was 16 or so I just got my mc permit. unfortunately I also used to get nose bleeds for no reason, I had a sensitive nose in those days, it was worse when it was cold.

so I am out ridding with a buddy in October which around he can get cold. riding along I sneezed in my full face helmet, let me tell you I had to pull over and clean that up, could not see out my lens as it was covered in blood. I looked over to my buddy and he thought I got shot in the back of the head.

Shot in the back of the head! Hilarious! I just spewed coffee all over my monitor. Thanks pal.

• Member Contributer

Hmmmmm. I guess I have a little different take on life and motorcycling.

I've been fully covered in bug guts when I've driven through a swarm of mayflies. I've been splattered with the internal organs of both birds and bunnies that I've hit. I've been splashed with feces when the mud puddle I rode through turned out to be a leaking sewer line. I've been covered with some unknown fluid when the tanker truck in front of me had a leak spraying a mist all over that I drove through to get ahead of the mess.

I don't know where you guys ride, but snot is the least of my worries. Stick a finger in a nostril and blow hard, do the same on the other side, keep riding. Inside my helmet, modular shield up, I don't care. I don't care to take the time to pull over dig out a hankie. I'll wash my hands when I get to work, or not.

But I'm the same guy who has gutted a deer while eating a ham sammich and drinking a beer. YMMV.

Ever ridden through a large flock of wild turkeys rising as you go by while hidden in the weeds on the shoulder of a road? That will be an experience never to be forgotten. Obviously, I ducked and didn't hit one. Also, I've seen the largest black bear I ever saw crossing The Gap early one morning. Thank goodness he was faster than me at that point in the road. Also, hit a bird directly with the nose point of my sixth gen. with blood going so thick all over my face shield I had to stop and wipe it off at a convenience store in order to see. The people there almost called 911. They thought I had hit someone at first. It's such an exciting sport, snot and all. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

just dont vomit in your full face helmet ... i know from experience .. dont.. :mellow2:

• Member Contributer

just dont vomit in your full face helmet ... i know from experience .. dont.. :mellow2:

I think the vomit takes the cake for messes. I've encountered turkey flocks while riding; luckily the were not in the air.

Aerostich Rider Warehouse sells a page of "kill decals". It includes bugs, four-leggers, birds AND people (the little family size stick people). I've wanted to apply some for bugs, birds, and deer. I've thought of sneaking in a family of four into the list to see who's paying attention but I afraid some would not get the joke.

Bent, they have turkey stickers. Perhaps I'll bring a sheet we can share to T-Mac. :idea3:

• Member Contributer

Aerostich Rider Warehouse sells a page of "kill decals". It includes bugs, four-leggers, birds AND people (the little family size stick people). I've wanted to apply some for bugs, birds, and deer. I've thought of sneaking in a family of four into the list to see who's paying attention but I afraid some would not get the joke.

Bent, they have turkey stickers. Perhaps I'll bring a sheet we can share to T-Mac. :idea3:

you need some unicorn stickers! a slime ghost or 2..

i swear i have dumped my bike by hitting an invisible pegasus .. :pissed:

• Member Contributer

you need some unicorn stickers! a slime ghost or 2..

i swear i have dumped my bike by hitting an invisible pegasus .. :pissed:

Ha! I do believe you are right. You never can tell about those Pegasus. ' I'm going to check the page to see of the unicorns et.al. are there.

Thanks gll429

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Archived