Performance Mods For Rc36

• Member Contributer

Factory pro used to do an ignition advance mod,I think it just involved sending them your flywheel and they modified it to 5 deg advance. I sent them an email and they don't seem to have any info on it other than they used to do it and don't any longer but it's something else to look into.

Did you talk to Marc? He (the owner) talked me out of an ignition advancer for my RC36...that was about 15 years ago. It wasn't the flywheel they modified, but the "Pulse Rotor". It doesn't show up on the RC36 microfiche for some reason, but you can see the RC46 pulse rotor in the parts diagrams for that bike. Basically, Marc's view was that it was not especially useful on a VFR engine, unlike on other engines, such as the inline-4 CBRs.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

We used an offset woodfuff key to advance ignition timing years ago. Wonder if that still works? But I have good news! Shelving the performance parts for now. Picked up a new 2014 VFR800F for US$7,500.00 and no dealer fees. That's a steal. Honda is liquidating the bikes through their dealers. The RC36's are safe for now!!!!

I am not really a fan of the fixed 5 degree advance over stock, as it may make a big gain in mid range, but it could be at the expense of top end or low end.

I know that on my 2007, I can adjust the ignition map instead of just a fixed number and what my bike likes is a few degrees of advance starting at 2500 and quickly ramping up to about five degrees from 4000-7000 rpms.

Then slowly ramping down to zero advance by 9000 and actually pulling 2 degrees of retard from 11000 to redline.

Also I would not want to be idling and running 5 degrees of advance at light throttle as this would make the bike run very hot in traffic.

This is why I zero'd my ignition map up to about 30% throttle, before any advance is added over the factory ignition map.

The whole fixed timing advance is going to be a compromise. Give some here and take some there.

Factory pro used to do an ignition advance mod,I think it just involved sending them your flywheel and they modified it to 5 deg advance. I sent them an email and they don't seem to have any info on it other than they used to do it and don't any longer but it's something else to look into.

Did you talk to Marc? He (the owner) talked me out of an ignition advancer for my RC36...that was about 15 years ago. It wasn't the flywheel they modified, but the "Pulse Rotor". It doesn't show up on the RC36 microfiche for some reason, but you can see the RC46 pulse rotor in the parts diagrams for that bike. Basically, Marc's view was that it was not especially useful on a VFR engine, unlike on other engines, such as the inline-4 CBRs.

Ciao,

Yes we exchanged a few emails about it,when I asked him about any benefits he only answered that it was a long time ago and that it would cost a few hundred to do now.

• Member Contributer

I just stuffed 2 sausage rolls in my face so the -if any- performance gains from the Akrapovic have been nullified by extra rider weight..... :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Just shaved 24 lbs off the curb weight of my VFR. It only has one gallon a fuel in the tank. :beer:

Brakes, suspension, geometry improvements, better tyres & reduced weight will give performance advantages. Exhausts and if headers are changed - jet kits too, will give more smiles.

Miguel! How's your VFR doing, all finished? Would love an update....

I don't think the TBR left side system showed any significant gains in HP for anyone that used them on the RC36s. Anyway, they also don't look that great on the bike as they hang too low because TBR had to design them to clear the bottom of the swingarm and rear right peg. You're better off getting the Staintune high right slip-on. Sure, it also does not increase the HP on the bike, but it certainly looks a lot better than the TBR left exit systen, IMO.......and will most likely cost a lot less if you can find one.....

• 5 months later...
On 2/21/2016 at 2:01 PM, coupedupsubie said:

They are hard to find. Depending on how long I keep my 750 I may have a replica made out of stainless with a couple changes.

I know this post is a few months old, but, if you do decide to have a replica made, I'd like to have one made for my 94 VFR. I too have not had any luck in finding a left-exit [in-stock] or the dimensions/bend angles so that I could have one fabricated.

1 hour ago, MIT said:

I know this post is a few months old, but, if you do decide to have a replica made, I'd like to have one made for my 94 VFR. I too have not had any luck in finding a left-exit [in-stock] or the dimensions/bend angles so that I could have one fabricated.

As far as getting a header made, any shop that does exhaust manifold fabrication should be able to make one pretty easily off of pictures if they have the bike. My reason for doing a semi-replica would be to reduce initial fabrication time. Once jigs are made it takes a lot less time to make each header.

20 hours ago, coupedupsubie said:

As far as getting a header made, any shop that does exhaust manifold fabrication should be able to make one pretty easily off of pictures if they have the bike. My reason for doing a semi-replica would be to reduce initial fabrication time. Once jigs are made it takes a lot less time to make each header.

I haven't really exhausted my local resources but I have been told by a bike shop owner or two that none of the local muffler shops would be able to make anything that would look nice. They also noted that the local muffler shops primarily do automotive mufflers which don't have to be pretty since they are underneath the vehicle. Finally, they also stated that to their knowledge none of the local muffler shops has the equipment to do mandrel bends.

4 hours ago, MIT said:

I haven't really exhausted my local resources but I have been told by a bike shop owner or two that none of the local muffler shops would be able to make anything that would look nice. They also noted that the local muffler shops primarily do automotive mufflers which don't have to be pretty since they are underneath the vehicle. Finally, they also stated that to their knowledge none of the local muffler shops has the equipment to do mandrel bends.

You need to basically find a "speed shop" for header fabrication. Depending on the amount of business they do they will have a mandrel bender. The shop I would use has made custom turbo kits for a few cars.

13 hours ago, coupedupsubie said:

You need to basically find a "speed shop" for header fabrication. Depending on the amount of business they do they will have a mandrel bender. The shop I would use has made custom turbo kits for a few cars.

@coupedupsubie

Thanks for the information. I will check around to see if I can find such a shop.

Archived