Gps

ridered

I'm thinking of getting a GPS unit. I'm wondering if anyone uses an automotive specific GPS that can pair with a blue tooth headset? I prefer that route because the screens are larger (i'm thinking 6") and I can dual purpose it for navigation in the car. Plus a nice one can be had for less than 200. The moto specific ones are priced stupid. Any thoughts? I use the phone right now, but it is old and slow, and eats data for navigation.

• Member Contributer

I used a tablet ($20 used Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 2.0) and a RAM Xgrip for my setup. It worked great for the last 11,000 miles. It's not waterproof, but fits in my tank bag.

I used Copilot Navigation, which worked decent. All together, it was like $90 setup.

BMW riders kept coming up to me curious as to what expensive GPS I had.

IMAG0754_zps72hqt8mx.jpg

• Member Contributer

I second the xgrip , coupled with an I-6 plus works great for me. Only down fall is if you lose network.

The great thing about CoPilot is the offline maps. No data required.

• Member Contributer

I second the xgrip , coupled with an I-6 plus works great for me. Only down fall is if you lose network.

In that case, get Co Pilot - uses gps. I also use the exgrip for my Samsung S5. I drilled the right fairing stay, put in two rivnuts with a ball mount, short ram arm and the exgrip. Keeps the phone further up and keeps the rain off it. Lot easier to see without dipping your head down on a yoke mounted ram ball. Who needs a $400 + sat nav?

• Member Contributer

A couple of things to consider besides the offline maps;

1. Does the screen work with gloves. Is the screen bright enough in direct light???? The MC GPS screens are upgraded.

2. Do you have sound and can you hear it. Most of my turns are forewarned with voice and then I look perhaps if it is safe.

3. Waterproof is a big deal as in my experience, bad visibility ie rain is actually when you need the GPS most as opposed to a Radar Detector which you can hide/cover when the weather turns to crap and you slow down.

4. I could fit a 6inch screen on my Goldwing but not so sure about the 6 inch screen on the VFR especially with the other cockpit farkles.

5. I use my Phone off line Maps GPS as backup. The X grip is not a great holder compared to a dedicated mount particularly if you hit a big bump. I will use X grip in my truck but not on a MC.

6. Most of my buddies that gagged at the $$$ and have tried the 5inch cage units eventually succumbed and went MC GPS.

• Member Contributer

maybe I'll suck it up and upgrade me phone. Sounds like a nice option. Does the co pilot app work with out cell service? Does voice navigation?

No cell service needed and does voice navigation..

A couple of things to consider besides the offline maps;

1. Does the screen work with gloves. Is the screen bright enough in direct light???? The MC GPS screens are upgraded.

2. Do you have sound and can you hear it. Most of my turns are forewarned with voice and then I look perhaps if it is safe.

3. Waterproof is a big deal as in my experience, bad visibility ie rain is actually when you need the GPS most as opposed to a Radar Detector which you can hide/cover when the weather turns to crap and you slow down.

4. I could fit a 6inch screen on my Goldwing but not so sure about the 6 inch screen on the VFR especially with the other cockpit farkles.

5. I use my Phone off line Maps GPS as backup. The X grip is not a great holder compared to a dedicated mount particularly if you hit a big bump. I will use X grip in my truck but not on a MC.

6. Most of my buddies that gagged at the $$$ and have tried the 5inch cage units eventually succumbed and went MC GPS.

Mine goes in a waterproof case if needed and works with my gloves.

It has sound and i use bluetooth .

XGrip never slipped on mine plus i have a lanyard as well.

Oh and it makes phone calls as well.

• Member Contributer

As I use the GPS for x-country routes that I have planned, I like the ability to pre-plan that my TomTom gives me.

And with the weather over here so changeable, I don't have to stop and weatherproof it when some un-forecast rain occurs nor do I have to put it in a plastic case just in case it rains.

However, YMMV.

• Member Contributer

I use a Garmin Nuvi 750 and it works great. It has a non-USB power connector and it clips into place. I have it hard wired in place. The Nuvi 760 I bought for my son-in-law has bluetooth, and I got them both for around $50 each off Craigslist. They can accept routes planned on Garmin Basecamp and work great. They aren't waterproof, but a zip lock bag will work as a doofer. Also they work with gloves. I don't own a smart phone, so the GPS is what I use, and probably would continue to do so, and not put an expensive phone at risk. My daughter dropped hers off the bike while messing with it. Oops.

• Member Contributer

As our country is so small compared to the US of A i rarely use the sat nav app. I know where i am going and how to get there. Much prefer to head where i am going and get "detoured " as things take me and not have to stick to preplanned times etc. Exceptions are going to Europe and my frequent forays into Ireland. Had to use the waterproof case once and that took a stop of less than two minutes.

KISS - Keep it simple stupid.

My initial thought is an inexpensive GPS would be multi purpose. I also like that the phone is also an MP3, does email, finds places to eat etc. I live in CA, and so rain is not much of an issue. Really, I would keep it in my tank bag too, and just do the voice navigation. How important is it to see the screen while riding?

• Member Contributer

My initial thought is an inexpensive GPS would be multi purpose. I also like that the phone is also an MP3, does email, finds places to eat etc. I live in CA, and so rain is not much of an issue. Really, I would keep it in my tank bag too, and just do the voice navigation. How important is it to see the screen while riding?

Do be careful in CA with a phone in a tank bag. They will overheat very fast.

^^ Don't even have to be in CA for that to be an issue. I typically buy CHEAP phones to use as a GPS. I currently have a Kyocera Hydro Edge that I paid about $15 for off eBay. I use it to run Spotify and CoPilot in the car and on the bike. As SCguy said, running GPS while being powered, in the sun will cause the phone to get VERY hot. I've got an Xposed module that will tell me the CPU temperature and I often see 150+ degF (at which point the charging circuitry shuts off).

All in all, it works OKAY. Wish I had a faster phone, but the Kyocera is waterproof with no cheap port covers like the Samsungs.

• Member Contributer

I haven't tried co pilot, another alternative is Here maps thats what i use in my phone (for the car). Free app can use offline by a simple download of map regions into phone or online like google maps with up to date traffic. great gps app looks and works just like a garmin gps or tom tom and free even the maps.

I use a garmin 60cx for the bike, main reason is for the ability to upload my own routs from pc using map source or base camp that i create by looking for twisty back roads. Basic gps or app wont do that it just routs you to a nearest interstate. Zumo and some of the tom toms you are able to upload your own routs, in my opinion are totally worth it just for that when it comes to a bike trip.

• 1 month later...

Borrowed a Nuvi to try out. I don't like the route planning, and it has no info like google maps. I love that google maps shows restaurants, starbucks etc. I'm leaning towards a better phone because it also does everything else I want. I'll give the gps a try though.

Archived