Need Brakes

jlpvfr

• Member Contributer

Following the advice of others here, I went with EBC HH pads. They run about $30 a set on Amazon. I've been very happy with them. Seem to have more initial bite than OEM.

2002-2005 use FA261HH for both front and rear. In 2006 Honda changed the front pads, so 2006-2009 use FA388HH in the front and FA261HH in the rear.

Following the advice of others here, I went with EBC FA261HH pads. They run about $30 a set on Amazon. I've been very happy with them. Seem to have more initial bite than OEM.

Be sure to verify that those are the correct EPC pads. I believe there is a different part number for 06+ 6th gens.

I do have the EBC FA261HH on the shelf waiting to get installed on my 02.

• Member Contributer

Following the advice of others here, I went with EBC FA261HH pads. They run about $30 a set on Amazon. I've been very happy with them. Seem to have more initial bite than OEM.

Be sure to verify that those are the correct EPC pads. I believe there is a different part number for 06+ 6th gens.

I do have the EBC FA261HH on the shelf waiting to get installed on my 02.

Good catch. I was actually updating my post when you posted. :)

• Member Contributer

Motomummy had them for $31 the last time I ordered from them. If I remember correctly, I ordered two different FRONT sets. One set for model year 06+ and the other for 05 and below.

• Member Contributer

+1 on the EBC HH. More stopping power than you'll ever need and they wear well. +1 on Amazon and free 2 day shipping if you have a prime account.

• Member Contributer

For a street bike, OEM. EBC HH are said to eat OEM rotors... Cannot confirm this myself, however, as I have always gone with OEM. Rogue (from RC51.net) has also suggested that Carbon Lorraine XBK5 pads are almost as good as OEM Honda pads for street use. YMMV...

Ciao,

I know lots of people seem to rate EBC, but in my experience and as per the results of the only comprehensive test on this I've ever seen, for road use Honda OEM pads give the best results and you KNOW they are designed to suit the disc material. Unless you changed that to something other than OEM, in which case, you're on your own.

Like tyres, you change from the shagged out originals to new 'some other brand' and of course, they feel great compared to what you had become used to. But that's not a valid comparison. I would always recommend OEM braking components as I know they'll work well and probably better than anything else.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally getting back to this question. Thanks for the input I would prefer OEM pads but the closest dealer is 2 hours away. Are there any online dealers to buy Honda pads? Thanks ..

I put about 40,000 miles on my oem discs with EBC hh pads before doing a front end swap. The discs were still within spec. The EBC HH pads do not eat discs.

The EBC HH pads work great. Nothing crazy, just a little more bite and power than the stockers and they last a pretty long time.

• Member Contributer

I put about 40,000 miles on my oem discs with EBC hh pads before doing a front end swap. The discs were still within spec. The EBC HH pads do not eat discs.

The EBC HH pads work great. Nothing crazy, just a little more bite and power than the stockers and they last a pretty long time.

+1. I replaced the OEM pads on my 2003 with EBC HH and had nothing but positive results for several tens of thousands of kilometers until the demise of the bike. As I wrote this, I realized that that demise (rear-ended by Mrs Hip on her GS500) was caused in part by my bike stopping so well!

If your rotors were "eaten" it was something else.

• Member Contributer

I don't know if it is true, but what is certainly true is that there are plenty of stories about EBC HH pads being abrasive to OEM rotors on the Web... I'm not aware of any objective tests of pads including rotor wear characteristics, but I would think excessive wear could be measured objectively. Everything else is an anecdote. There seem to be as many people claiming excessive wear as those claiming no excessive wear. Good luck!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I have ran EBC HH since 2006 NO problems, like what CandyredRC46 wrote great pads and no adverse affect on rotors.

Mototmummy.com has the best price.

If youre rotors wind up actually wearing beyond the service limit after, 70, 80 100k etc... miles of using EBC HH pads, swap in some new rotors and chalk it up to basic maintenance.

Archived