My Custom Tourer

PabloVFR

Hello everybody,

I wanted to share with you modifications I've done to my fifth gen, since it could be helpful for someone looking to improve the tourer characteristics of this bike. Since I own an RC51 for track day use only, I wanted to improve the riding position for comfortable touring on my VFR, but that lead to changing the windshield as well. Changing the handlebar and the windshield are really a game changer for me since it makes the bike very easy to ride and I can enjoy my rides much better.

Here is a short list of my modifications:

- powder coated wheels

- headlight projectors with xenon lights

- led lights all round, replaced all bulbs

- additional led daylight running lights

- custom mounts for Kappa k33n side cases

- Kappa k53 top case, Kappa k33n side cases

- autocom pro-duo audio mixer, with a PMR radio for bike to bike communication

- scottoiler chain lubrication system

- modified madstad windshield mount

- PUIG touring screen for Honda Crossrunner 2015

- LSL tour bar handlebar & bar ends

Here are some pictures, so feel free to let me know what you think. :)

slika1.jpg

slika2.jpg

slika3.jpg

slika4.jpg

slika5.jpg

slika6.jpg

slika7.jpg

slika8.jpg

slika9.jpg

• Member Contributer

I think that is the TALLEST windscreen that I have ever seen fitted to a 5th gen! I thought my FJR's electric screen was tall... wow. just. wow.

I think that is the TALLEST windscreen that I have ever seen fitted to a 5th gen! I thought my FJR's electric screen was tall... wow. just. wow.

Haha you bet! :) However, when I sit on the bike, the windshield is just below my chin, so it's not too tall. The whole point with fitting the Madstad adjustable windshield mount was to have the flexibility in changing the position of the windshield. And so far its great!

lovin th projectors, what did you use for your retrofit?

I purchased them locally in my country (Serbia, Europe), so I don't know the exact make and model, sorry.

• Member Contributer

Looks like a nice bike. who says you need a Gold Wing/ ST/ FJR/ BMW K to tour! you are all set.

• Member Contributer

Just a suggestion... unless for some reason you actually like them. Swap your mirrors out for the later '00-'01 Honda OEM mirrors. Less vibey. With all of the luggage you may prefer some mirror extenders as well. And those will look/ work better with the '00-'01 mirrors.

And since you did that bad a$$ retrofit, your turn signals look a bit out of place. Thurn I think makes some pretty cool smoke ones that would make the bike look a bit more modern and go with your head lights more. You can also replace the stock tail light with a clear/ smoked LED unit.

I know, I am really good at spending other people's money. :goofy:

The luggage looks good. Do you get any buffeting or turbulence from the windshield?

Thanks! I do not have any turbulence due to the design of Madstad mounts. They keep the windshield slightly away from the fairing, to allow air to pass bellow it and prevent buffeting.

Here is how it works:

post-33517-0-57763800-1455718106.png

• 7 months later...

Small update - I've changed mirrors on my bike. I found Magazi mirrors in Louis.de website and I'm quite pleased, since they didn't need any modification, bolt on replacement. 

Here's a video from a ride last weekend, just to see how my bike's cockpit looks like. :)

• 1 year later...

The low windscreen is the biggest gripe that I have with my 98 VFR800 and I can't seem to find any solution for purchase that solves the issue (I've tried the vario-touring and other windscreens).

I'm strongly considering attempting to do the windscreen modification that you have pictured here. Any chance you can give some pointers and parts lists used to get this done and maybe share some pictures of the work in progress? Or, if you are disappointed with it, mention some cons that you have with that might turn me off from the idea?

What you've done is really amazing work!

That looks like a blast to ride, I used to have a CBR1000F with helibars and heated grips and it ate up miles.  Can you tell me if you had to extend brake lines or anything like that to get the handlebar conversion sorted out?  I am considering doing one myself.

• Member Contributer
On 2/20/2016 at 8:46 AM, seth89 said:

how much work was there to fit the PL side carrier racks?

I have the same Givi luggage rack setup so I can comment on their installation. The instructions are clear; pay attention to keeping the whole assembly loosly fitted together before tightening any thing. It took me some time to install; having an assistant would be very helpful. There was a lot of figiting going on. Good luck.

Archived