Neutrino Black Box

JZH

• Member Contributer

Anyone using one?

thumb_DSC_2006_1024.jpg

But it's the app that makes it worth the $300...

neutrino-next-generation-power-distribut

I like how you can set the grips to turn on when the temperature drops below a threshold, and off when it rises. Or lights on at sunset, off at dawn. Whatever suits, really. I've already downloaded and played around with the free app, just to see how it would work, and I'm impressed.

This would seemingly replace a lot of my electronic junk and wiring. Especially my dual Heat-Troller... (Not that I don't like it, but it has a lot of wires!) I've already got a waterproof smartphone, so...

Ciao,

Cool concept, but manual override via hard buttons would be nice. I'm sure that could be done via relays, but that gets rid of the simplicity that this magic box offers. Bonkers to me that this is for offroad guys but they're going to have to stop to adjust the foglight brightness. I like how he talks about his rats nest mess on his bike, which could be easily fixed by a fuse block and basic wiring skills. Note to self: don't take any bikes to this guy...

• Member Contributer

Cool concept, but manual override via hard buttons would be nice. I'm sure that could be done via relays, but that gets rid of the simplicity that this magic box offers. Bonkers to me that this is for offroad guys but they're going to have to stop to adjust the foglight brightness. I like how he talks about his rats nest mess on his bike, which could be easily fixed by a fuse block and basic wiring skills. Note to self: don't take any bikes to this guy...

+1 and likes to ride in the back country .

• Member Contributer

It was a toss up between this box and the PDM60 I bought for my 5 Gen. The two things I like about the Neutrino is on the fly changability without a computer and the "soft fuses". However, the two things that I'm on the fence about, is having the Bluetooth active all the time and having to either have touch screen gloves or my gloves off to operate my phone to make changes.

I think what made me go with the PDM60 vs the Neutrino is that I really didn't think I would need to change things on the fly or that I would be using my phone, at least with my 5 Gen, but with my 6 Gen I am planning on other accessories where the Neutrino would be more fitting.

JZH, did you actually purchase and install the Neutrino or just download the app to demo it?

The pdm60 looks cool, but not $200 cool. $200 buys a lot of relays and fuses, which is essentially all it does except adding the timer functionality i guess, though that can be added easy enough as well. At least the neutrino has PWM functionality for varying the voltage to adjust light brightness and heated gear temps.

I just did a little bit of searching and this is a more old school approach for much cheaper, plus a great tag line... Just a tiny box with relays and fuses that you can configure as you like. ~$85

http://www.fuzeblocks.com/index.php

Even older school if you want it premade as a kit: http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Wiring_Kits/Fuseboxes/fuseboxes.html

This seems to be the most recommended light dimmer if you need that, about 70 bucks http://www.lights.skenedesign.com/IQ_275.shtml

Looks like motobrain is similar to neutrino except that it also has inputs for switches, so no need for a touch screen once you get it set up. ~$340 http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motobrain-review/

Like anything else it seems like if there is something you want, someone already sells it. This just seems about which one suits your needs best, and how much cash you are willing to spend.

• Member Contributer

The pdm60 looks cool, but not $200 cool. $200 buys a lot of relays and fuses, which is essentially all it does except adding the timer functionality i guess, though that can be added easy enough as well. At least the neutrino has PWM functionality for varying the voltage to adjust light brightness and heated gear temps.

I just did a little bit of searching and this is a more old school approach for much cheaper, plus a great tag line... Just a tiny box with relays and fuses that you can configure as you like. ~$85

http://www.fuzeblocks.com/index.php

Even older school if you want it premade as a kit: http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Wiring_Kits/Fuseboxes/fuseboxes.html

This seems to be the most recommended light dimmer if you need that, about 70 bucks http://www.lights.skenedesign.com/IQ_275.shtml

Looks like motobrain is similar to neutrino except that it also has inputs for switches, so no need for a touch screen once you get it set up. ~$340 http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motobrain-review/

Like anything else it seems like if there is something you want, someone already sells it. This just seems about which one suits your needs best, and how much cash you are willing to spend.

The PDM60 also has an input trigger. It's based on a latched contact closure and you can use it to have certain circuits come on when the input circuit is closed. I have mine programmed so that if I hold a momentary switch down, it triggers a 12v relay that allows the battery ground to make a circuit so I can check battery voltage without the key in the ignition. This same circuit can also be programmed to turn on with the ignition (switched output) so when I do turn on my bike via the ignition, the relay will turn on as well. You can make the circuit to "either/or" or "and", where my circuit is either/or, the and would require both ignition and contact closure switch to be active.

A delay can be placed on certain circuits to turn off, say for electric gear for instance, so you can stop, turn off your engine but still have the electric gear run for a few minutes before shutting off. Useful while gassing up perhaps.

Although it may not be $200 worth of features it do some things that the static ones didn't, which is why I went that route. That Motobrain looks like it's a step up from both Neutrino and PDM60, so I might take a closer look at that one.

• Member Contributer

I only have the Neutrino Cockpit app. What has pretty much sold me on the Neutrino is that I wouldn't need separate heated gear PWMs. As mentioned, I already have a waterproof smartphone, and I have tough-screen enabled winter gloves (will have to solve the summer glove problem when it gets warmer!), and have two pieces of gear that also have apps (for Zumo and Drift), so a good, solid mount for the phone and I'm good to go. I will use the Neutrino micro USB connection for the phone, rather than the Bluetooth, as that will keep the phone charged and allow me to use the Cockpit app whenever I want. However, I don't plan on using it with any lights--I prefer regular switches for things like that.

(Btw, the Neutrino v.1 is still available for $229 or so from the Arboreal website, and the only major difference is that the v.2 has a relay input trigger.)

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Good question. According to the Neutrino Owner's Manual:

Parasitic losses:
Running w zero circuits on 29mA
Additional load per circuit activated is 16mA
Drain when unit is shut down is 1.1mA

If I get it, mine will be mounted in my removable tank box thing, so won't be left on the bike(s) to drain the battery.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Sorry, I don't know--but from reading the Owner's Manual it appears that the unit shuts down when the ignition-switched 12v input is turned off, unless one or more of the circuits has been programmed to remain on for x seconds, or to remain on until battery voltage reaches a defined threshold, or to remain on indefinitely. The default is to shut all circuits off when the bike is turned off.

Ciao,

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Ordered the V1. Will update thread in due course. :cool:

Ciao,

Archived