Riding Particularities In D.c. For A European Rider.

Nobody

Statistically, the Dutch are the tallest people in the world. But that doesn't mean short people have no chance. My 5’2" buddy from Surinam who is built like Dani Pedrosa is married to a six foot Dutch bombshell. They live in Amsterdam.

I got me one of those 6 foot Dutch bombshells. I even got one of the rare "not blonde" version. She even stands on potholes when we take photos. (I'm 5'09" so, considerably shorter than her)

310724_2545073745884_1623621205_n.jpg?oh

• Member Contributer

The laws in Virginia prohibit filtering in traffic as well. In Virginia, 20mph over posted speed limit is "reckless driving" which is same level of violation as drunk driving....no,no. I found out in my cage at a speedtrap in Southwest Virginia-an expensive way to learn that law. That said, don't get caught. Also, you cannot possess a radar detector in Virginia, they are illegal. Im pretty sure Maryland its illegal to lanesplit as well.

When you can, head West to West Virginia for day or weekend trips...their roads are very nice for such a rural state...its only a little over an hour or two away from DC for nice riding...but most of the mountains are under 1000m high. Nice, friendly people, unsophisticated, but very good food can be found...and it's a low cost place to vacation.

Not many places in N. Virginia that are very scary...Richmond has a few rough neighborhoods. Most of the touristy parts of DC are not so bad day or night. Southeast DC isn't the safest even though I've never had any issues I'm not looking to get high at 2am...you take chances if you are looking for it.

Oh, you are within a few hours of three racetracks for some great trackdays!!! closest is Summit Point West VA, next closest is MNew Jersey Motorsports Park, and then Virginia International Raceway in South Central Virginia...also, BeaveRun PA is 4 hours west...nice little trick as well N of Pittsburgh.

The BIGGEST thing you have to feat is people texting on their cell phones!!!!!!!!! They will not see you, run you over or off the road...this goes for tractor trailer rigs as well as housewives...epidemic!

The BIGGEST thing you have to feat is people texting on their cell phones!!!!!!!!! They will not see you, run you over or off the road...this goes for tractor trailer rigs as well as housewives...epidemic!

And let's not forget the....

02012012094731_fail.jpg

:goofy:

• Member Contributer

will you have diplomatic plates? If so, you may get pulled over for filtering...but it has little legal impact. May affect your insurance rates...which may be worse...or piss your boss off.

Matt

Previous guy in my position had staff plates on the car. i guess that's worst case of all :D from distance look like diplomatic, but they aren't.

idk if there is smth different for a motorbike. and diplomats still pay all the fines if they got any for speeding parking etc.

• Member Contributer

Previous guy in my position had staff plates on the car. i guess that's worst case of all :D from distance look like diplomatic, but they aren't.

idk if there is smth different for a motorbike. and diplomats still pay all the fines if they got any for speeding parking etc.

:laugh::laughing6-hehe:

DC is only owed MILLIONS in unpaid fines by diplomats .....

but thanks for the laugh!! i needed it!!

One time the President of the Gambia's security team beat some protesters with brass knuckles and pistol whipped a few folks in my presence. I was ordered to leave them alone. I was told they had diplomatic status and it was a matter for the State Department.

• Member Contributer

Dutch police was called to an incident where a drunken driver had rammed a few parked up cars in her street. She later turned out to be the wife of the Russian ambassador here.

Upon arriving at her house theyfound a drunk Russian guy who appeared to have also assaulted his children, was abusive and during the arrest received a punch. He said he was a diplomat but was taken in, he had to be released of course. his wife too, released no charge.

A few days later, 2 men entered the -supposed to be secured- house of the 60yr old Dutch ambassador in Moscow, tied and beat him up, wrecking the place and writing slogans..... What a coincidence...

Bring back Lethal Weapon!! (was it #3? REVOKED!!!)

Well, idk how it is in larger embassies, but in our small one diplomats can't get easy away from anything. in OFM (where vehilces are registered) if you have unpaid parking/speeding tickets, you can't renew registration (they register for a year at once), so there's nothing to laugh about. i know about my colleagues they have to pay anything as other people do if they get caught.

but ok, i know how those things look like from outside, been there :D. and i don't need to defend them/us. was just sharing what i know.

• Member Contributer

Still, it may come in handy with some, not others. In general, Virginia , MD and W. VA police are decent, as long as you are respectful, you'll be fine. Compared to Boston and LA drivers are pretty polite if you use turn signals accompanied by hand signals...but expect to not be seen...so stand out and make yourself visible. There are some local groups, bike specific ones, ones like ADVrider.com etc...and here of course!

Matt

Archived