The-Thinking The Wiring Harness On Gen. 5

Mac Morgan

• Member Contributer

Recently a post regarding KTM simplifying their wiring harness hit the net. Has anyone torn into their wiring harness with the thought of doing the same?

• Member Contributer

If you are speaking of the VFR wiring harness, many here have dealt with the issue, at least with fifth gens. Me included. The first thing that comes to my mind is the product and service a VFRD member has. Joshua of Wire My Bike has a fifth gen specific wiring harness upgrade that is designed to correct the weaknesses in the fifth's harness especially the ground. I also have an upgraded regulator/rectifier from him. I believe there is a link to his web site on the VFRD home page.

• Member Contributer

I've been thinking of tearing into the wiring harness to look for corroded wiring, poorly designed connections and grounds. I have 2 98s, one I bought new and another from a friend who quit riding. I've experienced the normal gremlins; fried rr connector, unexplained resetting of the clock and trip meter- once traced to a loose ground connection at the battery. It possible that the stator is starting to fail although both pass the the ohm test. I'm sure there's a bit of planned obsolescence built into these bikes and as they age more and more components will fail.

The stator can pass the ohm test and still be failing. Mine did just that, but wouldn't act up until it was hot. It turned out one phase of the stator was bad so it would still hold marginal voltage. At 18 years, I'm not sure "planned obsolescence" is a valid concern.

Archived