Captain 80s

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
On 8/31/2017 at 3:50 AM, keny said:

So how do this lovely bike live today?

It's getting closer, but 2 hand surgeries this year (the 2nd one 2 days ago), progress is slow, just like my left handed typing. 

Refurbished another set of gauges to go on a re-worked meter bracket and eliminated the mirror mounts with 2 new brackets connecting the upper cowl at original 900RR mirror mounts.  The bracket was so mangled I almost threw it away twice, but when I mocked it back up everything still lined up.

large.20170220_183218.jpg.1113351b933a94

large.20170205_142026.jpg.79847a1077185d

large.20170205_142048.jpg.433bbceca40735

large.20170901_092212.jpg.f1052140c910db

large.20170901_092332.jpg.82c15b19310689

Removed the remaining stickers and adhesive, 2 repairs, 7 hours of sanding and the first coat of primer.  Fun.  This was just last week.  Gonna be stalled here for a bit now. 

large.20170901_094632.jpg.73522a3a9ca0a4

Will get white paint (red front fender) and some graphics and decals to tie some stuff together.  Real paint job with full stripes will have to wait for now.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Fabulous! I love the dual round headlights.

(Are you sure you've got enough motorcycles? You seem to be a master of MBD (multi bike disorder).

On ‎11‎.‎11‎.‎2017 at 12:31 AM, MaxSwell said:

Fabulous! I love the dual round headlights.

Can´t agree more!

On 11/13/2017 at 11:08 AM, Captain 80s said:

full?d=1510590759

What's the thought process of the holes next to the headlights?  I bought a clapped out ex-race bike, and it looks like the PO tried to accomplish the same thing (poorly).  I just tell people they are speed holes (reference), but I've never seen them on another bike...

rgfxVQV.jpg

• Member Contributer
48 minutes ago, crakerjac said:

What's the thought process of the holes next to the headlights?  I bought a clapped out ex-race bike, and it looks like the PO tried to accomplish the same thing (poorly).  I just tell people they are speed holes (reference), but I've never seen them on another bike...

When Honda was developing the 900RR (which started out as a 750), test riders found that corner transitions from fully leaned over one side to the other side felt faster and easier, allowing the air flow thru the extremes from the center of rotation, versus the same fairing without.   There are holes down near the leading edge of the lowers as well.

13 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

Got it outside for a couple shots right when it started raining.

full?d=1511141600

full?d=1511141402

Sweet!!!!!!

• Member Contributer

Sorry, I don't like to gush, but Holy crap on a cracker is this bike awesome!

Perfect combination of absolutely classic and cobbled together mutt. It's like that RR fairing was made for it. Inside it's full of great parts, good suspension, handles modern rubber -- all the important stuff. When do you get to take it to the track and really but it through its paces?

Absolutely beautiful work.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, MooseMoose said:

Sorry, I don't like to gush, but Holy crap on a cracker is this bike awesome!

Perfect combination of absolutely classic and cobbled together mutt. It's like that RR fairing was made for it. Inside it's full of great parts, good suspension, handles modern rubber -- all the important stuff. When do you get to take it to the track and really but it through its paces?

Absolutely beautiful work.

Thank you so much!   I try to build a lot of my bikes as if Honda could have done it.  This one with the home made "graphics" not so much.  But the bodywork, yes.  Very happy.  The RC26.

• Member Contributer
On 11/13/2017 at 7:15 PM, Captain 80s said:

full?d=1510621826

I also particularly like the HRC Gear Driven Cams decal. I am considering something like that for my rear cowl.

I think this machine is the best looking (and probably the best performing) VFR I've seen.

Fabulous Work.

I'd consider looking you up just to see and hear this machine if I'm ever in you hood. And you've got one of the best hoods in the country.

You are one lucky dood.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived