1986 Vfr Track Bike Out Of Parts

Captain 80s

• Member Contributer

Started with a set of F2 wheels, forks and brakes. Next came a frame and engine and misc bits.

Here's some work done.

20151207_191516.jpg

20151207_190909.jpg

My more detailed build thread is on "another" forum. Lower F2 triple clamp with VFR stem and drilled and tapped adjustable steering stops. Forks rebuilt with RaceTech gold valves. Subframe has passenger pegs eliminated and the muffler mount coped and welded in the new position. Left side has passenger peg mount abbreviated and welded for shock reservoir, which is a modified F2 Fox TC using 87 linkage to accommodate the length (make up for 17" wheel and some extra). Custom spacers machined from stainless for either the F2 caliper bracket (pictured) or the stock bracket using a Triumph rotor (F2 bolt pattern and stock VFR diameter). Seat latch bracket modified to eliminate signal mounts and grab bars.

20160124_142132.jpg

20160124_142407.jpg

20160124_142510.jpg

20151025_153257.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Very Nice!

Are you required by law to listen 80's music while spinning wrenches on it?

It's been known to happen... ;-)

• Member Contributer

I thought so...'cause if that's a tariff beating 700cc motor it is just screaming

"STROKE ME STROKE ME!"

• Member Contributer

I thought so...'cause if that's a tariff beating 700cc motor it is just screaming

"STROKE ME STROKE ME!"

"Say you're a winner, but man, you're just a sinner now"

It is a 700, but I'm not taking apart a 20K mile motor!

• Member Contributer

I have no parts to share. In June I will have owned this Masterpiece of VFR Riding Enjoyment for 30 Years. When I ride it I beat the Piss Out Of It. As it was designed to do. I do so However, with the Understanding that there are NO Replacement Parts Available !!! You may have to Scour the Globe for parts.

OK... Thanks?

Scouring is done, I have everything.

• 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Just need to bleed the brakes and clutch and take care of a couple minor things (left handlebar switch wiring and tidy some things up.)

20160530_132327.jpg

20160530_132217.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Starting to fit the body work.  Cobalt Racing tail section.  OEM CBR900RR upper and mids.  I have the headlights and bracket.  Fits the bike surpringly well.  Good steering lock range and the vents in the mids line up nicely with the radiator.  

20160618_190932.jpg

20160618_190918.jpg

• Member Contributer

Loving it so far!

For the upper cowl placement, did you position it so that the mid fairing were aligned (more or less) with the top frame rail or did you position it for bar clearance and the ability to tuck at speed on the straights?

• Member Contributer

I'll have to say I got really lucky.  I had held it up a bunch of times trying to guesstimate where to start...   and then I just did.  

A visual cue for me on all the best looking Hondas (really, any bike), the top of the tank line runs into the top of the headlight(s).   Look, you'll see.  

Started there, and it worked.  I have the brackets designed and I'm making them out of round tubing the same size as the upper cowl stay.

Good steering lock and the side vents are perfectly positioned.  Also recently realized I "get" to take off the front end to install the adjustable steering lock bolts that I drilled and tapped for.  Can't get them installed with it assembled.  :(

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Rode it yesterday.  Feels amazing and runs great.  Couple little tweaks to do, but everything works as hoped.

I built it one piece at a time, and it didn't cost me a dime. :beer:

I'm sure it cost a lot more.  :happy:

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, VFR4Lee said:

I built it one piece at a time, and it didn't cost me a dime. :beer:

I'm sure it cost a lot more.  :happy:

I just added up the hard parts.   I'm sure I'm missing a couple little things, but what you see is about $900.  I'll round up to $1000 adding in all the little stuff like some orings, gaskets, paint, etc.

I know...   "bullshit".  I got the 900 fairings with the headlights and bracket for free.  Had a new Cheetah windscreen that I got for free years ago about the time I got the fairings.  The new Cobalt tail for $20 from a friend who was so pissed at VFR Chuck for making it a black base fiberglass instead of white he couldn't even look at it.  He said $40, I had a $20...  "Good enough.  I just want it gone.".  Can do.   And the new front tire was free (take off from an ex-coworker.)

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Overdue update.  Fitted the lowers...   Very happy.

medium.20160830_193211.jpg.675cf57763e33

large.20160830_193136.jpg.c7f9c9cf81fe6e

It now has 1991 VFR front calipers, brackets and rotors.  Bigger disks and full size brake pads, not those tiny F2 pads.

large.20161118_064937.jpg.7d5e581d02ef48

• Member Contributer

Would that make this a "CBVFR"?  Or, no wait, let see . . .  :comp13:   That's looking as though the 900RR bodywork was made for it.  Great job! 

• Member Contributer
49 minutes ago, Auspanglish said:

Surely you won't need the optics at the track...

Looks real curious!!

Decided to make it street legal for testing and so I can enjoy it more often.

large.20160830_192117.jpg.3f58f2b43d15b6

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, Veefer800Canuck said:

What is the plan for paint? 

Stock RWB like the tank? Hard to go wrong with that! 

How about a Rothmans Honda livery? 

It's going to be influenced by the look of the NR750 Endurance Racer, which is pretty damn close to the stock paint scheme of the 86 VFR anyway.

Honda%20NR750%2087%20%203.jpg

But Stage 1 this winter will be to get all the panels white and the front fender red.  I will add a matte black "number plate" to the solo seat cover.

Archived