Visited The Honda Dealer Today

Jixsta

I previously owned a 2007 VFR and I am thinking about possibly picking up a new leftover 2014 VFR800. Today I visited my (somewhat) local Honda dealer so that I could see an 8th-gen in person. The dealer had the bikes packed in like sardines, so it made it difficult to look at and sit on bikes. Also, I am only interested in the red model and they only had white. This is my brief opinion of the 8th-gen VFR given the above conditions.

-Fit and finish on the bike seem very good

-Sitting on the bike, the seat felt kind of thin (I don't remember if the 6th-gen felt that way)

-The reach to the handle bars does feel farther than I remember (I would probably opt for risers)

-I left feeling neutral about the bike. I didn't feel like "wow this is awesome". It was a nice bike though.

-Would I buy one? If I could find a good deal, maybe. I still browse the used 6th-gen classifieds.

Does anyone live near the bay area in California that owns an 8th-gen that I could take a look at?

photo 4

photo 5

photo 3

photo 2

• Member Contributer

Seat Is fine for 500 mile days. It's a bit sportier but still as comfy, the seat height can be adjusted or risers added. I suggest you try before buying risers.

Take one in a test ride. Great bikes.

Geeez!! I can only dream of getting anywhere near that sort of mileage on my bike :(

I can get between 100-150 kms before the pain becomes unbearable!

Have owned a CBR500R, and rented a BWM 800GT in NZ for 5 days, with same result, so its clearly not the bikes.

• Member Contributer

I've also done 500 miles with no problems, so it's clearly not the bike .....

Geeez!! I can only dream of getting anywhere near that sort of mileage on my bike :(

Have owned a CBR500R, and rented a BWM 800GT in NZ for 5 days, with same result, so its clearly not the bikes.

Have you seen a doctor? You did not say what the pain is, but you could have a spine problem such as a cyst on the coccyx, or a problem with your hips, or any number of issues.

• Member Contributer

Have you seen a doctor? You did not say what the pain is, but you could have a spine problem such as a cyst on the coccyx, or a problem with your hips, or any number of issues.

Or lack of bike time, riding too tense etc.

What kind of pain or where are you getting the pain?

• Member Contributer

Aside from a medical problem, fitness can have a lot to do riding comfort, particularly core strength. Working on flexibility / stretching can also help improve things. Sore wrists and hands / tired arms can be alleviated by gripping the bike with the legs. Some owners put stomp pads or other material on the tank to help get better grip.

• Member Contributer

Cogswell is right. I'm 66 with arthritis. It takes me about a month of "spring training" to build back my core strength. And proper body positioning is important. Balls of feet on the pegs, knees gripping the tank, s-curve in the spine, forearms parallel with the ground, elbows loose, hands just resting on the bars - no weight on hands or wrists, head level. I have stock bars and pegs; I need to stretch out my legs rearward to keep blood flowing to the lower legs while riding. I rest my chest on the gas tank and put my heals back on the passenger pegs. I also stop about every hour or so to stretch out and walk around. It still takes a lot out of me to ride 500/day.

YMMV

• Member Contributer

MaxSwell, try putting some weight through your feet as you ride. That will help, if you flex your feet as you ride it will help with return. Oh gravity works better with feet down as opposed to back. Your doing well dude

• Member Contributer

MaxSwell, try putting some weight through your feet as you ride. That will help, if you flex your feet as you ride it will help with return. Oh gravity works better with feet down as opposed to back. Your doing well dude

Thanks Fink, I do weight my feet on the pegs. Good observation. My issue is my leather pants cause a blood constriction at my knees. When I straighten my legs I can feel the blood flowing back to my lower legs. The heals-on-the-pillion-pegs are for short term relief in a different, "relaxed", position. I try it for a few minutes every 15 to 30 minutes. I can and do let my legs hang straight down but that upsets my body position more that the back pegs lay-down. And the lay-down stretches some back muscles at the same time.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Thanks for the feedback guys. And apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread :(

FWIW.

I rode for a few years in South Africa on CBR600RR and GSXR600, but never did any big rides so I don't recall any pain. Since moving to Australia though I have done some touring with a couple of mates.

First bike was CBR500R, and I could just about make 400-500km days, but not without pain. Never experienced wrist pain or numbing of fingers.

On VFR800, its painful wrists, numb fingers (right hand), and saw sit bones and just general back side area.

I run between 10 and 20 kms every weekend, so I do consider myself rather active. I walk a lot too!

On CBR500R I've tried the Airhawk which helped a little. Custom seat that worked well for a month, then pain returned. Sheep skin cover. Combination of all them.

On VFR I have bought a new Airhawk, managed to do a 360km ride yesterday, but last 60kms was torture! Without any aids, I will get up to 200kms and have to call it quits.

I have the 1.25" handle bar risers, which did help the wrists, but nonetheless, they get painful after 30mins.

For what its worth, I rode a BMW F800GT in New Zealand for 5 days, doing between 400-500km each day, and also experienced pain! It is obvious it cannot be 3 different bikes!

Just depressing to love doing something so much, and not been able to enjoy it :(

PS. I am 38 yo, 85kg, 1.86m ;)

• Member Contributer

If its sore wrists your getting then I think it is your body position that is wrong. You should have practically no weight on your wrists and slacken your grip too.

Try moving your backside to the back of the seat and using core muscles to support your body.

Possibly give up the running before you knacker your hips and knees and take up cycling.

• Member Contributer

Thanks Fink, I do weight my feet on the pegs. Good observation. My issue is my leather pants cause a blood constriction at my knees. When I straighten my legs I can feel the blood flowing back to my lower legs. The heals-on-the-pillion-pegs are for short term relief in a different, "relaxed", position. I try it for a few minutes every 15 to 30 minutes. I can and do let my legs hang straight down but that upsets my body position more that the back pegs lay-down. And the lay-down stretches some back muscles at the same time.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Are you sure it's a blood flow restriction? More likely is a nerve being trapped.

• Member Contributer

That's a possibility I've not considered. I'm not sure how that would alter my solution. But I will talk to my doc. It happens whether I were jeans under my pants or a less bulky light weight pants of synthetic material. (I do size the jacket and pants for wearing street cloths underneath.) I may have to try huntingguns technique of under armor for a layer under the pants. But I really like having the pockets the pants provide.

The hijack goes on. :(

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the feedback guys. And apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread :(

FWIW.

I rode for a few years in South Africa on CBR600RR and GSXR600, but never did any big rides so I don't recall any pain. Since moving to Australia though I have done some touring with a couple of mates.

First bike was CBR500R, and I could just about make 400-500km days, but not without pain. Never experienced wrist pain or numbing of fingers.

On VFR800, its painful wrists, numb fingers (right hand), and saw sit bones and just general back side area.

I run between 10 and 20 kms every weekend, so I do consider myself rather active. I walk a lot too!

On CBR500R I've tried the Airhawk which helped a little. Custom seat that worked well for a month, then pain returned. Sheep skin cover. Combination of all them.

On VFR I have bought a new Airhawk, managed to do a 360km ride yesterday, but last 60kms was torture! Without any aids, I will get up to 200kms and have to call it quits.

I have the 1.25" handle bar risers, which did help the wrists, but nonetheless, they get painful after 30mins.

For what its worth, I rode a BMW F800GT in New Zealand for 5 days, doing between 400-500km each day, and also experienced pain! It is obvious it cannot be 3 different bikes!

Just depressing to love doing something so much, and not been able to enjoy it :(

PS. I am 38 yo, 85kg, 1.86m ;)

You may want to try stomp grips or tech spec tank side grip pads. they will help you grip the tank with your legs thus taking strain off of hands and wrists.

Alternatively, maybe a different bike is in order; no bike fits every rider and the 8th gen is known for surprisingly tight hip and knee angles as well as long reach to bars which is what makes it a fun sporty bike to ride

If you haven't seen www.cycle-egos.com you may want to check it out. its a web site that is purported to be accurate that shows what you will look like on any bike. Just enter your dimensions as it asks and pick the bikes you have had that worked and didn't work to get an idea of what might work going forward. then look at new bikes that fit the good mold. May not help but is fun to do regardless :cool:

I take an aleeve before a long ride. Works great. Just did a 500 mile day in cold wet conditions, and wasn't bad. My wrists did great, but my knees hurt at the end. I think I'm going to get lower pegs. I too like to hang my feet on the pillion pegs to stretch. the 7th gen seems more comfortable too. I think the bars a little higher. I rode an 8th gen and it felt just like the 5th, so I would put the risers on to help your wrists. The 7th gen forced my to stop for fuel every 150 miles, and stretch so that helped a lot.

The 8th gen is a really nice bike. If they would make it a 1000cc and add better brakes, I'd be all in. I went with the 1200 instead, but it feels more toury, and as sporty. Quality seemed really good on the one I rode.

My wrists did great, but my knees hurt at the end. I think I'm going to get lower pegs.

Just an FYI, Buell footpegs work great with just an added bushing and slight grinding to thin them a bit. Well documented on this site.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all

Thought I would post back some feedback after doing the swap from the VFR800F to the VFR800X.

Did a 635km ride last Sunday, and it was awesome!!!

Butt was a little tender, but I guess it is to be expected when sitting in the saddle for almost 8 hours. No painful wrists or numb fingers, so all in all, happy outcome.

One happy rider again.

Archived