Official Ca Meet: Tour De Sur April Trip

ridered

Update:

I finalized my plans for my central coast trip at the end of April.  Here are my plans.  Again, these are my plans, so feel free to modify them and join me on part of the trip or the whole trip.   I will be camping, but there are hotels near each location.  I can also adjust where and when I stop to accommodate other people as well, just PM me and let me know if something better works.  The dates are firm for me due to a busy family schedule.  Looks to be a great trip.  I've decided to not make reservations because all the campgrounds have first come first served spots.  I would love to share a spot.  Most hold 8 people. 

List of Maybes:

Marsman99

BrianF

JMS

TC339

RC1237V

mk2davis

VFR4Lee

Crazybrother, on the Duc

Four day trip April 28- May 1

Day 1 (Thursday 4-28)

https://goo.gl/maps/4MitnyLEPqx

Camp at San Simeon State Park.  I would love to share the camp spot.  Let me know if you are interested.  

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=590

Dining:

http://www.firestonegrill.com/main-street-grill/

http://www.smokerjim.com/

Day 2 (Friday 4-29)

Camp at Pfeiffer Big Sur State park.  If that is full there are some private campgrounds available.  Another option is to do the loop all the way back to San Simeon.  This increases the miles that day, but camp can stay up.  I would re-route day 3 accordingly.  I'm still debating this option.  If NorCal people are joining and riding down Saturday, then I will do this option so we can ride down together.  I'll find a place to stay.

day 3 (Saturday 4-30)

Camp at Pismo State Beach, North Campground.  Flying Flags has a 2 night minimum.  Bummer.  I'll call to confirm.

Day 4 (Sunday 5-1)

Head home.

Notes and suggestions:
1.  If other people are in for sure, but can't make it until Friday, I can adjust my plans to stay at San Simeon Thursday and Friday night.  I'll explore the area on Friday while you travel in, and do the loop Saturday.  I'm just trying to minimize my travel time to SD on Sunday, and give myself some rest time.  I may plan on staying there both nights so I don't have to break camp anyhow, then a short day Saturday to head a little south, and relax that day.  I'll decide when I look into camping reservations.

2. I ride at a more moderate pace, not super fast.  You can ride at your own pace, no worries.  I know there is another group that does the Central Coast that likes big mileage days and a faster pace, but I also enjoy some rest time too.  Again, adjust your route and pace accordingly.  

3.  I like good food, open to suggestions from people in the know.  I have some other spots I know of, and will post them here as I plan lunch stops.  Speaking of stops, I'm on a 7th gen, notorious for a small tank and bad mileage.  There will be plenty of fuel stops.

4.  Check back here for updated details.  I will add them as I figure them out.  Also, we all know the greatest laid plans of mice and men...

Cheers, 
Ride Red

• Member Contributer

Red, I was just about to PM you to see how the Gen 7 search was going. Since, we're two miles from each other and now apparently both have 1200's, I think it is a must do, not that either of those matter really. Count me in...work, kid and wife schedules permitting of course. You getting cases with the bike?

Yes, Getting side cases, and will order a top box as well. Pick up the bike in a couple weeks. We can talk about the trip over beers. Been meaning to PM you about a ride, but have been so busy.

• Member Contributer

I just came back from a New Years ride up to Monterey. Not surprisingly, the ride was amazing. Ancient Chinese secret, riding from SLO to Monterey on New Year's Day = NO traffic + NO cops. 3 LEO's on the way home on Sunday.

I'll find some more poison oak, what the hell!

I just came back from a New Years ride up to Monterey. Not surprisingly, the ride was amazing. Ancient Chinese secret, riding from SLO to Monterey on New Year's Day = NO traffic + NO cops. 3 LEO's on the way home on Sunday.

I'll find some more poison oak, what the hell!

I was in SLO for New Years. Perfect week on the coast.

• Member Contributer

I'm in - Sierras or Big Sur it doesn't matter to me. As far as timing, either is good if we can dodge the weather. I don't mind the rain, but would rather ride when it's nice out.

BTW: I rode highway 1 south from Monterey to Morro Bay then up highway 41 to Atascadero the Saturday the 2nd. I was amazed at the number of people going South on Highway 1 - insane! I saw plates from at least a dozen different states and two bikes from New York (ADV Touring).

On Sunday I decided to go back a different route, and rode Rossi's Driveway (highway 229) and took some very nice back roads to Bradley, where I jumped on Jolon Road. Stopped in King City for gas, and took Bitterwater Road over to highway 25, up to Hollister, then the back way to San Jose. Only saw a few cars all day, until I got to Hollister.

I need to make up for my "Adventure" on the Kernville ride over the summer..................

• 5 weeks later...

Still trying to figure out dates, but it is still on for sure. Bike is getting prepped already. Recall performed, new tires, and new rear pads. Washed and waxed too. Probably do front pads and battery, plus it will need the 24,000 mile service in a couple weeks.

I'm leaning towards the coast ride, because I was going to do it when I bought the bike, but the weather forced me to ride home down the 5 instead of the PCH.

I picked both places.

Poll would only allow one time choice, so took sooner over later.

I want it all, and i want it now. :warranty:

• Member Contributer

I've done the Central Coast a couple of times during the April/May time frame and enjoyed it immensely! Summer time is really no time to be on the roads, especially in the two areas you chose!

I've done the Central Coast a couple of times during the April/May time frame and enjoyed it immensely! Summer time is really no time to be on the roads, especially in the two areas you chose!

I agree. Southern CA is a tough place to do trips unless you have at least a week. Day one is spent getting out of the madness, or across a searing desert.

Southern CA is a tough place to do trips unless you have at least a week. Day one is spent getting out of the madness, or across a searing desert.

Oh no. I can be out of the city in 20 or 30 minutes, and carving Little TJ or Big TJ Canyon. :cool:

OK, the searing desert awaits. Or you can pick the tourist driven RV infested coast in summer.

So, summers not the best time. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Thread bump. I'm getting excited about the trip. Any objections to 4 days? I still have to talk to the wifey, but I have the vacation. Probably Thursday-Sunday for me. Maybe I can do a summer trip too if I only use one vacation day now.

Official dates are 4/28 to 5/1?

That would keep me from going - I'm flying back from a business trip on 4/29. :sad2:

Bummer. My only other option is 4/7-4/10 (maybe) Call in sick man, it is just work.

• Member Contributer

Hey Red, I will be camping down there and riding the DRZ (Kirk Creek) on the 17th - 20th. I will let you know when I get back from my trip - if I have to do wife maintenance, then not likely. If I get a hall pass, I would ride down and camp with you guys on Saturday and head back North on Sunday.

Looks like flying flags has a 2 night minimum.....?????

Yes I just saw that today. Might have to find something else. San Simeon has first come do I'm going to go without reservations. I might just stay there the two nights, but there are no hot showers do to the drought. Also, if the NorCal guys are heading down Saturday, I'll stay somewhere up near big sur Friday night so we can ride down together. Should be able to find something.

I'll give flying flags a call and confirm the two night minimum. Might need to find a place in Pismo beach or around San Luis obispo. Seems about Half way.

Adjusted the plan for now, but might still make some changes. Might even just hotel it one night if I can sell the 5th gen. Changes in red.

I stayed here a couple years ago.

Nothing fancy, but OK. I don't really want to tent camp.

Map it and you'll see it's in a little island area of motels and restaurants, etc.

Cheaper than Cambria, right off PCH. Good area for a motel "base camp" imho.

http://silversurfmotel.com/

I don't know this trip will work for me. I'm just saying.

Just coughed up a pile of cash for a VTech.

A V6 even. OK, a new to me Accord coupe. :biggrin:

I stayed here a couple years ago.

Nothing fancy, but OK. I don't really want to tent camp.

Map it and you'll see it's in a little island area of motels and restaurants, etc.

Cheaper than Cambria, right off PCH. Good area for a motel "base camp" imho.

http://silversurfmotel.com/

I don't know this trip will work for me. I'm just saying.

Just coughed up a pile of cash for a VTech.

A V6 even. OK, a new to me Accord coupe. :biggrin:

I stay at the state campground a mile up the road, so you could just "camp" at the silver surf. Almost anywhere I would stay would have a hotel within walking distance. I coughed up a bunch of money on a VFR, so I have to camp to afford the trip = )

I coughed up a bunch of money on a VFR, so I have to camp to afford the trip = )

As long as it works for you. :beer:

I got nothing against camping actually.

I've MC camped in designated places, and stealth places in the past.

But the cold hard ground has something against me these days.

So, I want a bed, a bathroom, and a fridge for my beer. A close restaurant, and a gas station.

That is all. More or less. :biggrin:

• 5 weeks later...

I haven't been on VFRD in a while, but on a whim I logged in to see if there was much activity in SoCal. I would be all over this ride if my wife wasn't due in a week. Have fun guys, and take some pictures :beer:.

Archived